If a board of directors thought hiring Hitler as sporting director and Bin Laden as manager would get them 3pts on a Saturday and a league title at the end of the season then they would hire them.

And every fan of that club would celebrate (all clubs/fans) 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Can you show me his apology? 

I’m sure you could have found it with a simple Google but here you go:

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11704/9435093/malky-mackay-apologises-for-offensive-texts-while-cardiff-manager

33 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Just so it’s clear.

The guy running building the team is not the same as a couple of players.

For example, I work at a financial services company, if someone had a criminal past and joined my area and worked with me, even as a contractor where they’re on astonishing wages at times I wouldn’t care.

However if we hired a new head of department who was a proven racist bigot, I would tender my resignation.

You’re clearly far too thick to understand that mind you.

So it’s purely because of the position he’s been appointed in? And you’d be fine with us signing Goodwillie as he’s only a player?

Carry on with your attention seeking champ.  Please let us know if the club responds to your next email 👍🏼 

9 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

👍

Mackay wasn't even a daft wee laddie when he made these comments. He was a 40 yo man and had worked/ was working with people of many different backgrounds. AFAIK, he didn't even acknowledge his behaviour. Many of us would be instantly sacked from our jobs if we were guilty of spouting bile like he did. Sad that in Scottish football, dinosaurs like Mackay seem to fail upwards. Was the same when Hearts appointed Rix. Just. Don't. Do. It. FFS!.

The racism and homophobia aside, what's good about Mackay? I can't see any achievements in there? Underwhelming at the very least.

100%

It would have been excusable if he’d been a daft laddie and came out and shown remorse for it but he’s done neither.

He’s attended a tick box training course and never once held his hands up and apologised.

Just now, Les Cabbage said:

100%

It would have been excusable if he’d been a daft laddie and came out and shown remorse for it but he’s done neither.

He’s attended a tick box training course and never once held his hands up and apologised.

im 100% sure he would be sorry

1 minute ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

I’m sure you could have found it with a simple Google but here you go:

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11704/9435093/malky-mackay-apologises-for-offensive-texts-while-cardiff-manager

So it’s purely because of the position he’s been appointed in? And you’d be fine with us signing Goodwillie as he’s only a player?

Carry on with your attention seeking champ.  Please let us know if the club responds to your next email 👍🏼 

Comparing rape to racism now, and I thought your take couldn’t have got any worse.

Believing your club shouldn’t let a racist run the football operation is attention seeking apparently, Jesus Christ.

Just now, Les Cabbage said:

Comparing rape to racism now, and I thought your take couldn’t have got any worse.

Believing your club shouldn’t let a racist run the football operation is attention seeking apparently, Jesus Christ.

I'm just confused with whats acceptable and whats not now.

Racism = unacceptable. But only if its the DoF. Player is fine.

Or something like that.

Ok chief. Got it.

Just now, Fraser Fyvie said:

I'm just confused with whats acceptable and whats not now.

Racism = unacceptable. But only if its the DoF. Player is fine.

Or something like that.

Ok chief. Got it.

it was 10 years ago ffs, move on

11 minutes ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

Ah yes, the words of someone who is fully apologetic and understands the severity of the situation.

Screenshot_20240515_110653_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5ef49a761508ce12c17fb999836b64c6.jpg

22 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I'm not saying Hibs fans have no right to criticise or disagree with his appointment. That's a personal matter for each of them.

This is like yesterday all over again. I'd like it if people would read posts before criticising them.

I disagree with your final point. He's not asking for a pass from Hibs fans. He's working for the club. The club and him have agreed that, the fans are free to respond how they see fit.

Why are you criticising the people who are free to respond as they see fit then?

Just now, ExiledLichtie said:

Why are you criticising the people who are free to respond as they see fit then?

I'm not.

Try reading again.

You can be for or against Malky getting the job. Everyone's entitled to their own view.

You're not entitled to information about the private outcome of an issue not involving you or any people you know.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ah yes, the words of someone who is fully apologetic and understands the severity of the situation.

Screenshot_20240515_110653_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5ef49a761508ce12c17fb999836b64c6.jpg

You asked me to show you where he apologised after insisting he hadn’t, so I did. No amount of scrambling and whataboutery can change that. 

You’ve decided to ignore the apology and post a separate part of the article bizarrely.

2 hours ago, AndyM said:

Teenage Ultras. Add cheap alcohol and marching powder for instant arsehole.

I was reading a thread on .net last night and I hadn’t realised, despite the incidents spoken about involving Hibs fans that have made the news, that this Block 7 were causing so much grief for your ordinary decent Hibee.  Read that they’ve been intimidating and abusing other Hibs fans never mind the opposition. 

1 minute ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

You asked me to show you where he apologised after insisting he hadn’t, so I did. No amount of scrambling and whataboutery can change that. 

You’ve decided to ignore the apology and post a separate part of the article bizarrely.

That's part of his "apology" m8.

You can claim it's more if you like, but to me the whole interview reeks of someone just trying to get something out publicly and with the minimum effort to try and salvage a career teetering on the edge.

Clearly that was enough for some seeing as he still gets jobs, and that says a lot about football.

49 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

No. You're taking two separate things together and they don't go together.

If I was attacking this in the way RG is implying, I'd be in some way defending Malky's actions or minimising what he did.

I'm not doing that and it's lazy and offensive pish to suggest I am.

I'm pointing out that RG's apology point is the problem. There's a view now that we are all entitled to be party to apologies for private matters. It's complete nonsense, and it has definitely snowballed with the development of Twitter and the pile-ons that develop there. There is no question about this.

We're not entitled to an inside view of a private matter.

Ah well, we'll have to disagree on that one, at least to the extent that what you intended to say did not seem, to me, to be what you were saying.

That may, of course, be entirely on me.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

That's part of his "apology" m8.

You can claim it's more if you like, but to me the whole interview reeks of someone just trying to get something out publicly and with the minimum effort to try and salvage a career teetering on the edge.

Clearly that was enough for some seeing as he still gets jobs, and that says a lot about football.

I have to say, and I don’t mean this as a critique of your view at all, but I just don’t see it the same way. 

Where do you draw the line at the level of contrition required to allow him to work again? Who am I to make that judgement? 

The comment about other peoples texts may be ill advised in an apology, but is it totally unfair? If someone published all my private messages from the past 10 years then could it cause me lasting embarrassment? Probably. Not what he’s done but someone would find something. 

I feel hibs fans have every right to express their views on this, and I may be more opinionated on it if it was Aberdeen. But I can’t bring myself to be overly moved by it every time he gets a job.

I think his career has undoubtedly suffered from the reputational damage, you think not enough I guess but I don’t feel like it’s for me to judge. 

40 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

If a board of directors thought hiring Hitler as sporting director and Bin Laden as manager would get them 3pts on a Saturday and a league title at the end of the season then they would hire them.

And every fan of that club would celebrate (all clubs/fans) 

I would suggest this is definitely not the case (are all Dundee Utd fans on here trolls? The ones I know IRL are all lovely folk).

1 hour ago, Arab_R_us said:

That's where i am, these were private txts im pretty sure ?  Would I txt this stuff to my pals ?  No , but  everybody txt stuff to Pals they wouldnt want shared to the world.

I just cant stand sanctimonious virtue signalling. Boils my piss

It boils your piss more than racism does? 

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I have to say, and I don’t mean this as a critique of your view at all, but I just don’t see it the same way. 

Where do you draw the line at the level of contrition required to allow him to work again? Who am I to make that judgement? 

If someone's in a position where they're hiring/firing/judging employees, and/or in a position where young children can see them as a "hero" (not his role at Hibs tbf), then I think you need to give more than a "I'm sorry I got caught and you got offended, but everyone's a wee bit racist aren't they?" and then expect to just continue on unabated.

He was a 40yo man who had year long messages showing racism, sexism, antisemitism and homophobia, all combined with him talking about not hiring/working with certain types of people. To me that should rule him out of high level hiring/firing jobs.

I think that's fairly normal thinking and fair? I'm not expecting him to never work again or be strung up, just to not be widely accepted into a position of such influence.