McCowan being 'available' I believe was the trigger, but I think our initial assumptions and our outcomes differed quite abit without changing the strategy.

Might be total pish but I recall hearing on the Terrace earlier this year that he was might be available for around £250,000. That would be a great price obviously and an opportunity too good to pass up, regardless of whether we felt we had strength in that position or whether we might employ a formation without a 10.

That said reality took hold during the summer. He was worth far more than that to Dundee obviously so the initial assumption was likely pish. We then threw more money at it only to continue being rejected but kept going. 

Ultimately what I'm saying is what has already been alluded to, the value we ended up offering to pay probably meant that it was no longer a 'value' opportunity, and on that metric you could criticise Hibs for straying far from their original hypothesis.

Of-course he could end up being brilliant for Celtic and Hibs were right to pursue it until the death.

But yeah, one would think that if we were willing to spend £1 million on him, there may have been other options whom might fit the bill were we so desperate for someone in that position, which it appears we were not so desperate after all. 

On 02/09/2024 at 09:50, Les Cabbage said:

Swear I listened to a podcast with Bamba on it not long ago.

As others have said a thoroughly good egg, a fantastic player aswell.

I remember he was sent off on his Hibs debut after probably being the best player on the park to that point but he just got a bit carried away with the occasion/atmosphere.

I’m sure that was Derek Riordan’s second debut aswell.

I remember Bamba got sent off for Dunfermline at RP too. He lifted his hands to Naismith but never really touched him and Naismith hit the deck.

Rangers signed Naismith soon after this.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/ian-gordon-lifts-lid-on-owning-hibs-admitting-mistakes-ambition-for-future-his-recruitment-role-and-bill-foley-relationship-4772530

Good interview with Ian Gordon. Only thing that concerns me in that is we've used the black knights money to pay off debt and we're operating a loss of £3.9M.

16 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/ian-gordon-lifts-lid-on-owning-hibs-admitting-mistakes-ambition-for-future-his-recruitment-role-and-bill-foley-relationship-4772530

Good interview with Ian Gordon. Only thing that concerns me in that is we've used the black knights money to pay off debt and we're operating a loss of £3.9M.

Good article that. Gordon is clearly putting a lot of faith and responsibility on MM.

2 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

The debt was written off by the Gordon’s. The black knights cash is in addition to the debt write off, it wasn’t used to pay the debt off.

On 07/09/2024 at 12:29, Lyle Lanley said:

We’re not going to see the wage bill sorted out till next summer when the out of contract players go. At least he’s reaffirmed that him and the family are fully committed to covering any overspend.

3 hours ago, Zing. said:

We’re not going to see the wage bill sorted out till next summer when the out of contract players go. At least he’s reaffirmed that him and the family are fully committed to covering any overspend.

I hope fans understand that the impact of those savings next summer (2025), won't be seen until the accounts of the year after (late 2026/early 2027) 

On 07/09/2024 at 14:58, Judy Murray said:

The debt was written off by the Gordon’s. The black knights cash is in addition to the debt write off, it wasn’t used to pay the debt off.

Correct, The Black Knights investment has not been touched yet. All losses going forward in the short term are covered by the Gordons.  Summer 2025 is when we have the leverage to both trim the squad and also end the overspend on a load of players on good contracts who are not involved with the team.  I can however see the Black Knights wanting to have a greater say in the running of the club and Foley wanting to throw his tuppenceworth in. He obviously felt slighted by the appointments of Mackay and Gray by the Gordons but Mackay certainly has shown that he knows what he's doing.  Gray needs time.

4 hours ago, AndyM said:

Correct, The Black Knights investment has not been touched yet. All losses going forward in the short term are covered by the Gordons.  Summer 2025 is when we have the leverage to both trim the squad and also end the overspend on a load of players on good contracts who are not involved with the team.  I can however see the Black Knights wanting to have a greater say in the running of the club and Foley wanting to throw his tuppenceworth in. He obviously felt slighted by the appointments of Mackay and Gray by the Gordons but Mackay certainly has shown that he knows what he's doing.  Gray needs time.

There's a You tube interview with Ian Gordon on the Hibs facebook page

Scary interview, a lot of people who clearly know nothing about football but when it's your team you can't help but swallow it. Seems to suggest that Gray will be pretty much unsackable, incredibly stupid thing to put on record. Seems to atleast understand that the squad is bloated and lacking in quality but to say it will be addressed in the summer after they've literally just panic signed a couple of horrific looking league 1 journeymen defenders on 3 year contracts isn't a good look. 

Interested to see how Hibs do  in the league and what actions they take in the summer. I do think If Hoilett (age) Youan (consistency) Boyle (form) have decent seasons Hibs can do ok but might just prolong the misery. New manager required and owners told to stay in their own lane.

Edited by gazelle83

17 hours ago, gazelle83 said:

Scary interview, a lot of people who clearly know nothing about football but when it's your team you can't help but swallow it. Seems to suggest that Gray will be pretty much unsackable, incredibly stupid thing to put on record. Seems to atleast understand that the squad is bloated and lacking in quality but to say it will be addressed in the summer after they've literally just panic signed a couple of horrific looking league 1 journeymen defenders on 3 year contracts isn't a good look. 

Interested to see how Hibs do  in the league and what actions they take in the summer. I do think If Hoilett (age) Youan (consistency) Boyle (form) have decent seasons Hibs can do ok but might just prolong the misery. New manager required and owners told to stay in their own lane.

They'll sack Gray if they need to. 

They're nice people, they're committed people, they've put their money where their mouth is a few times now. They're commercial astute people but on the football side, they don't know what they're doing. They've now admitted that five years on. That's why it's been given to Malky to sort. 

3 hours ago, Tommy Tappin said:

They'll sack Gray if they need to. 

They're nice people, they're committed people, they've put their money where their mouth is a few times now. They're commercial astute people but on the football side, they don't know what they're doing. They've now admitted that five years on. That's why it's been given to Malky to sort. 

Absolutely. Every single coach at Hibs (and also Hearts) leads a charmed life in the job. When results go south the moaning starts and then the Board feels they need to act and do something.  The days of an Eddie Turnbull figure being in post for a decade are long gone. The kneejerk reaction in sacking Jack Ross after a few bad results was still one of the most idiotic things Hibs have done.  Ron Gordon admitted to this himself and its fallout has affected the club negatively for the last 3 years.

Mackay has a huge job and it is going to take time.