Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

9 minutes ago, Deeside Dynamo said:

IMO the SoSFL will have to intigrate or it will be cut adrift at the earliest opportunity. The top five or six clubs could maybe hold their own if a WoSFL was formed and, I dare say, three or four would maybe look at applying. I get the feeling that there's maybe a similar scenario to the more dissenting voices in the junior game within some clubs where they think that it's not broken and doesn't need fixed, however, that isn't the case in fact it's the polar opposite.  Some clubs need to look at the bigger picture and realise if they don't move with the times they'll be left behind.

Consideration should be given to any Licenced SoSFL club who want to remain at tier 6 and who want a crack at the LL (if they gained promotion) to be included in a new WoSFL at the outset.  The remaining clubs could stay where they are and “plug in” at a lower level.  At this point Glasgow University should also be invited to join the structure given they’d be the last remaining Licenced club from the West not in the Pyramid.

15 minutes ago, Ross. said:

There is a huge difference between ambition and recklessness. Both examples may have been couched in ambition but both were absolutely reckless. Any sensible FA/governing body would have nipped both in the bud before they got too far. It says more about the footballing authorities that nothing was done to prevent two very obvious cases where the clubs were only ever going to end up going one way.

If you have to try and use extremes as your argument then you don't have much to argue with.

Why not look at Brechin or Dumbarton? Both semi professional sides with reasonably small regular crowds who are playing in the second top league in the country. How many sides in the junior grade could replicate them without risking their futures through utter stupidity?

What about realism?  Where does that fit into the equation.  There is a very fine line between ambition and recklessness. 

Just now, Auld Heid said:

What about realism?  Where does that fit into the equation.  There is a very fine line between ambition and recklessness. 

What has any of that got to do with the formation of a proper pyramid?

2 minutes ago, Auld Heid said:

Realism is accepting that for the vast majority of football teams, restructuring will have minimal short to medium term impact and for some will have zero long term impact also.

Clubs who over extend themselves will suffer as they always have, whether that is in the current set up or any integrated set up.

Edited by Ross.

8 minutes ago, Isabel Goudie said:

Do you honestly think those clubs could compete with Clubs in the West Super Premier? I suspect not, what will happen should they get relegated, back to SOS?

The better of the clubs are not as bad as some may think and, whilst they may not be as good as the top level teams, they're in the SoS and have to be given due consideration.

It's also worth bearing in mind that some of these clubs have worked hard to achieve the entry level standard for a club license, not to mention already being full members of the SFA ,and that alone should see them invited into any WoSFL.

What happens is anyones guess and a moot point until the whole set up is known but I still think a 6 region set up based on the SFA regions would be the best way forward.

4 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

IMO, the top end of the South are not top level of the West standard but they'd fit into the West Super First / upper end of the districts etc... I'm sure if Kello and say Threave swapped leagues this year they'd do a similar job, again IMO.

I'd say your probably right and my main gripe is probably the disparaging comments on the teams in the south. Some of it may be warranted but it should be remembered that Threave Rovers are one of the few teams to beat Kelty this season. Granted I believe Kelty battered them and Threave won on penalties but the point is that they came back down the road as winners.

44 minutes ago, Afrojim said:

A bit closer to home, Ballingry Rovers etc.

Businessmen who saddle their clubs with debt shouldnt be entertained. Spend what you generate, pay every bill, if the money drys up, cut your cloth.

Money invested into football clubs on and off the pitch is good and should be welcome IF its done correctly by improving facilities that sustain a club long term  with no personal or self gain agenda.

I’ve got a complete breakdown of how all the Junior Clubs voted and could post here if people would like to see it?

Cats pretty much out the bag already as far as I can see!!

I think that would be of interest, yes.

6 minutes ago, Kilbowie's Finest said:

I’ve got a complete breakdown of how all the Junior Clubs voted and could post here if people would like to see it?

Cats pretty much out the bag already as far as I can see!!

Go for it.

What has any of that got to do with the formation of a proper pyramid?

Everything without realism you could end up with chaos.

Teams are being left in limbo to make decisions without guidance from footballing authorities.

What happens if the East juniors move en masse to the EoS? All applications would be equal so chaos ensues when they have to choose which league a team goes to.

Who gets the preference?

Kelty moving was a warning not heeded by either the SFA or SJFA

1 hour ago, Auld Heid said:

Everything without realism you could end up with chaos.

Teams are being left in limbo to make decisions without guidance from footballing authorities.

What happens if the East juniors move en masse to the EoS? All applications would be equal so chaos ensues when they have to choose which league a team goes to.

Who gets the preference?

Kelty moving was a warning not heeded by either the SFA or SJFA

Well the reality is, if you move to  the EoS for next season you will have a chance of being in the top division come 2019/2020 depending on how they do it, if you don't move the likelihood is you join at the lower tier. That's not chaos, most people probably expect it to end up that way.

There is plenty guidance being provided by EoSFL from what I've seen.

1 hour ago, Auld Heid said:

Who gets the preference?

It wont be chaos. From the EoS forum it sounds like they're looking at a few options for structuring the leagues, depending on numbers applying.

This could potentially involving 'seeding' the applicants either into qualifying groups before splitting into 2 divisions, or creating two 'equal' leagues of 12 and the winners play off.

At the end of the season the final positions would determine the order for the following season, with any additional junior clubs filling in at the back of that. 

There is always a chance, if you believe it, that the SJFA are capable of negotiating a second East feeder into the LL, but this seems unlikely.

There is clearly a risk for clubs not applying now that they could end up in division 2, or 3 .

In my opinion the mindset of the people leading the key organisations are polar opposites. It is up to clubs to decide now which is more credible in terms of getting this right for them.

Only 6 clubs in the old East Region area ie Lothians, Edinburgh and Sauchie voted against then, with Dunbar not replying. 

I think from that we can assume most clubs understand what the options are as it stands, out of the 20 positive replies about half are from clubs already leaving, rumoured to be leaving, or are having meetings to discuss.

Edited by Burnie_man