Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

8 minutes ago, lithgierose said:

And all the clubs below the top ten in the west are going to say.hi welcome to the west.ma baws

Even some of the ones in the top ten are likely to have something to say given anything beyond Shotts and Cumbernauld seems to be a blank space on the map with terra incognita on it that's too far to drive to for a league game (see post immediately above) any time an east-west merger has been attempted in that past and that goes back at least as far as when the superleagues were being negotiated and the top West Lothian teams really wanted to be in with the central league teams like Pollok, Arthurlie and Petershill rather than Lochee United and Tayport.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Again personal opinion

I don't get the teams who struggle junior close to top junior sides with big fan bases going. It won't change the 2 guys and a dog through the gates imo. These are just my personal opinions but I don't get it as there is no league structure all this money EoS teams apparently get at the moment will now need to be split out to say another 30 clubs so that pot becomes a great deal smaller. Just feels like a fashion trend imo as I keep saying Kelty Bonnyrigg ECT I get their angle that makes sense but others are bewildering to me

Perhaps some of those clubs struggle because junior football for all its chaos just doesnt appeal to some?
I think its more about sustainable opportunity than straight up cash!

15 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Have Darvel done much ragdolling of East region juniors in recent years.

No need to , leave that to the hurlford Talbot and beith , a good west team historically will a good percentage of the time beat a good east team ,

no wonder they are leaving in droves 

18 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

Who cares whether East teams leave the juniors 

they just make up the numbers for the West teams to rag doll them every year anyway  

Remind me - is "respect" one of the "traditions" of the juniors that we were hearing about?

6 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

No need to , leave that to the hurlford Talbot and beith , a good west team historically will a good percentage of the time beat a good east team ,

no wonder they are leaving in droves 

As I’ve said elsewhere, the cups stayed in Ayrshire for five years, in the 2000s the east were dominant. Success is transient.

People like you will still be wittering on about the grade the Ayrshire teams and how they used to beat the former east teams  while the former east teams are in the spfl.

1 minute ago, BS7 said:

As I’ve said elsewhere, the cups stayed in Ayrshire for five years, in the 2000s the east were dominant. Success is transient.

People like you will still be wittering on about the grade the Ayrshire teams and how they used to beat the former east teams  while the former east teams are in the spfl.

Don’t talk pish none of them will

make the spfl 

30 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

Who cares whether East teams leave the juniors 

they just make up the numbers for the West teams to rag doll them every year anyway  

When you’re happily scrolling down on an interesting debate then bam !! this :lol:

6 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

We were at Musselburgh in the junior cup this season and no harm to them but there wouldn’t be 150 at the game and we had a full bus through so how are they and their likes going to enhance the spfl ? 

How many of the 70-80 odd clubs in the regional leagues of the pyramid do you think are chasing one of the 42 spots in the SPFL?

It's almost as if aspiring to be a SPFL  club isn't their sole motivation for moving.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

5 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

We were at Musselburgh in the junior cup this season and no harm to them but there wouldn’t be 150 at the game and we had a full bus through so how are they and their likes going to enhance the spfl ? 

Has it occurred to you that the good people of Musselburgh might be more tempted by SPFL opposition than they were by Darvel? Like me, they might have had to use Google to find out who Darvel were, and then decided they had better things to do.

15 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

And what was the score that day? I take it you 'rag dolled' Musselburgh? :thumsup2

Over the last couple of months I have become completely obsessed with this thread.  It is simply enthralling to watch a new phase of Scottish Non-League football history emerging (thread by thread on social media) as change slowly and sometimes painfully takes place. There are good arguments on both side of the divide which I do not wish to repeat. However in my view Junior Football is the one with the wonderful 130+ year history but the future lies firmly with the Pyramid.

EOSFA so far in my view has hardly made a wrong move while SJFAER appears to have so far been far too reactive rather than proactive.

I hope you do not mind me making a contribution to the debate but there really does appear to be a dire need for one of these two organisations to properly look after the interests of the Tayside clubs and to negotiate a proper pyramid link to the Highland League.

In my view the stage is now set for EOSFA to take this lead as the proactive force for change in Scottish Non-League football.  SJFAER or the SJFA appear to have no heart or desire to enter such negotiations.

Over the last couple of months I have become completely obsessed with this thread.  It is simply enthralling to watch a new phase of Scottish Non-League football history emerging (thread by thread on social media) as change slowly and sometimes painfully takes place. There are good arguments on both side of the divide which I do not wish to repeat. However in my view Junior Football is the one with the wonderful 130+ year history but the future lies firmly with the Pyramid.
EOSFA so far in my view has hardly made a wrong move while SJFAER appears to have so far been far too reactive rather than proactive.
I hope you do not mind me making a contribution to the debate but there really does appear to be a dire need for one of these two organisations to properly look after the interests of the Tayside clubs and to negotiate a proper pyramid link to the Highland League.
In my view the stage is now set for EOSFA to take this lead as the proactive force for change in Scottish Non-League football.  SJFAER or the SJFA appear to have no heart or desire to enter such negotiations.

[emoji85] you’re needing to get out more

In the future I could see the Aberdeenshire clubs agreeing a merger with the Tayside clubs and the NCL merging with the the clubs in the North West region, say as far East as New Elgin. The Shire clubs  in the Superleague moaned like f**k about having to travel to Inverness City and effectively blocked them 2 or three times from promotion re ground issues. Hopefully the HL would be left intact aside from yearly demotions and promotions.

Edited by welshbairn

I found some information about the SFA payments to member clubs for 2016/17. It was announced in January 2018 and was covered by the main newspapers. Nothing about how exactly the money was divided up though.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scottish-clubs-benefit-from-10-million-scottish-fa-investment/

Scottish  clubs  benefit  from  £10 million  Scottish  FA  investment

Monday 8 January 2018

Annual pay-out to clubs rewards growth in 2017. 

The Scottish FA rounded off 2017 with an eight-figure pay-out for clubs, with £10.3 million distributed to member clubs across the nation.

The payments support the growth of the game at all levels and are intended to reward member clubs for their dedication to core components of the Scottish FA’s strategy, including:

• Development of home-grown elite players for club first teams and Scotland national teams;

• Good governance;

• Improvement of standards through club licensing;

• Contributing to the achievement of “Strong Quality Growth” outlined within the Scottish FA’s strategic plan, Scotland United: A 2020 Vision.

More than £5.9m of revenue from the William Hill Scottish Cup has been distributed to participating clubs, derived from broadcasting, sponsorship and proceeds from the semi-finals and final.

Member clubs participating in the Club Academy Scotland, the Scottish FA’s youth performance programme, received more than £2m in investment. This figure included payment for members who achieved targets in Measurable Performance Outcomes, which focus on the development of talented young Scottish players while providing a pathway to first-team football.

Meanwhile, Club Licensing saw some £1.7 million invested in clubs, while Affiliated National Associations (ANAs) received nearly £300,000 in annual performance awards from the Non-Professional Game Board.

In addition, the Scottish Football Partnership (SFP), an independent organisation that aids Scottish football in grant funding projects, has been awarded a financial contribution for facility improvements. Member clubs will now be able to apply directly to the SFP for capital projects, which will assist in developing infrastructure and other related facility improvements.

Stewart Regan, Scottish FA Chief Executive, said: “This substantial level of investment underscores our lasting commitment to developing the national game at all levels and recognises the hard work that our member clubs put in to the continued growth of the game.

“We are already starting to see clubs reap the benefits of our strategic vision and by investing in our member clubs we aim to further facilitate the progress that has been made in a variety of areas across the game – from grassroots football through to youth development via our performance strategy.”