Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

9 minutes ago, Che Dail said:

Malcolm Gladwell, author of "the tipping point" and other magnificent books and podcasts says:

"I feel I change my mind all the time. And I sort of feel that's your responsibility as a person, as a human being - to constantly be updating your positions on as many things as possible. And if you don't contradict yourself on a regular basis, then you're not thinking".

...A wee thought for the day...

I wish some of the Brexiteers would read that book.

20 minutes ago, Slaverysam said:

Well that’s the date passed and l reliably hear 39 clubs have applied with recommendation all are excepted.

7 minutes ago, Slaverysam said:

Ye see what you mean some ambiguity there, no, 39 in total including the existing 13

3 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

That would fit Newtongrange, St Andrews, Dundonald, Broxburn, Bo'ness, Lithgae, Jeanfield, plus 2 more yet to officially announce who may or may not be Sauchie and Oakley. Guess 3 x 13 would be the format and they might want to open it up again to try to nudge that up to 3 x 14 or beyond.

From the EOSFL website:

Membership Applications
The deadline date having now passed the East of Scotland Football League can confirm that a further thirteen clubs have applied to join with effect from Season 2018/2019. Provided that all applicants are accepted and all follow through with their applications we will have thirty nine clubs in membership and in that event the Board of the League will be recommending a three conference structure with thirteen clubs in each based on Season 2017/2018 finishing positions. In addition the League Cup will be seeded such that clubs will meet opponents from the other conferences.

If EoS has 39 members next year that means they outnumber the East Region Juniors will only have 36, of which 20 are within the Lowland League catchment and 16 in the Highland League catchment.

1 hour ago, daleboy1969 said:

Nahh ..ive been waiting on blackburn putting this on twitter .im just amazed at the honesty behind the last few weeks . Anyway opinions  hange quickly in non league football 

Screenshot_20180601-075154.png

Circumstances change. Sometimes you need to embrace that change. I think Burnie Man has done that - others... not so sure.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Is this just a back patting exercise or does it have any relevance to the debate?

Yes of course it has. It was arguably the best night ever for The Big Rose Fans. Certainly in my time.To see a championship side humiliated by a Junior football club possibly showed that some Junior clubs can compete with clubs further up the pyramid.

C’mon the Rose 

2 hours ago, Che Dail said:

Malcolm Gladwell, author of "the tipping point" and other magnificent books and podcasts says:

"I feel I change my mind all the time. And I sort of feel that's your responsibility as a person, as a human being - to constantly be updating your positions on as many things as possible. And if you don't contradict yourself on a regular basis, then you're not thinking".

...A wee thought for the day...

This. A million times this.

You come across people saying, "Aye, I've been like that man and boy" and you think, did you never actually stop and wonder whether that's a good thing?

One of the great tragedies of our public life that we don't allow our legislators and leaders to ever change their opinion on anything.

4 hours ago, mick90 said:

Junior Football is finished ... it died around 1970 and someone forgot to rubber-stamp it. `Pyramid` is the future ... almost everyone recognises that, so the best thing West clubs can do is to immediately form the missing West senior league ... possibly invite those West Lothian clubs not yet in EoS ... end of a glorious era, but the beginning of a more hopeful one than now .

I get where you're going, but... this is pure pish. The Junior Cup finals of the 1980s were magnificent, even into the 90s and carnage of Bo'ness at Ibrox.

It's still the case today that the highest standard of non-league football today in Scotland is in the WR Superleague. Whether that will continue for long is another question, but the contention that Junior football "died" 5 years ago, never mind 50 years ago, is just completely ignorant. 

7 hours ago, ShrimpLok said:

Thing is there isn't any amateur (as in SAFA) league for Fort William to join. North Caledonian League and North juniors lower divisions are effectively the amateur leagues for the Highlands. A bit of summer welfare football as well but its not like there is a thriving SAFA league of 20 West Highland Football teams for Fort William to join.  

They're just unfortunately a very long way from anyone else who plays football.

To be fair, the localish amateur side is South Lochaber Thistle (playing out of Ballachulish and Kinlochleven) and they play in a Glasgow league. I understand they formed when the local Lochaber amateur league collapsed.

1 minute ago, jc1 said:

Anyone know if late applications can be took?

Nothing official but suspect given they’re at 3 x 13 at the moment they’d be happy enough to have a few more clubs as 3 x 14 clubs would be easier to schedule. Worth asking the question to EOS secretary.

4 hours ago, The Mantis said:

What big boys have Auchinleck triumphed against?

I’ve made the big time and got a stalker. Mair reddies from Tutankhamen in one day than I’ve had in 9 years  :thumsup2