Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

2 minutes ago, Robert James said:

The format of the Scottish Cup for next season, is not easy to predict, given the virus, because.........

If the 3 Junior Regional League's seasons are not completed, there will be no champion clubs anyway. Similarly if one or both of the Scottish Junior, and Scottish Amateur Cups aren't completed, then there can't be any cup winners, who would (otherwise) be eligible to enter the Scottish Cup).   Likewise,what about the Southern Counties FA Cup winners ?. 

On the positive side, the 6 new SFA  licensed clubs  will be eligible to enter the 2020/21 Scottish, assuming their licences are ratified at the SFA's AGM in June.

Also will Cumnock and Petershill make a special case that their ('deferred/not considered earlier') licence applications, should now be approved, as they will be a senior club for 2020/21 ? This assumes that their applications were not approved, solely because they weren't playing in a pyramid league, at that time ???

Given the above, will changes to the Scottish Cup's Preliminary Rounds, need to be changed for 2020/21 ? Or is it too early to tell ?

Don't give them the idea! They would love that.

35 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Also will Cumnock and Petershill make a special case that their ('deferred/not considered earlier') licence applications, should now be approved, as they will be a senior club for 2020/21 ? This assumes that their applications were not approved, solely because they weren't playing in a pyramid league, at that time ???

No. Unless they've been sitting on the news of them being put forward to the SFA as members for the last couple of months, then they've not completed the licencing process.

They're no different than the likes of St Andrews and Dalkeith that have active ongoing licencing applications.

Probably a bye product of the Hampden meeting where the LL/EOS were painted as the villains trying to destroy the juniors. Once the new league/conferences are up and running the scare stories will be exposed for what they were.

This fills me with fear, some of the language regarding the pyramid isnt exactly encouraging. It also appears that fans feel their clubs have been forced into the move when they might not necessarily have wanted to.

This is what I didn't want to happen as clubs who feel 'forced' to move have the ability to delay things progressing once the wosfl is up and running for those that wanted to move. Potential to 'dig their heels in' at every turn due to a fear of change.

Hopefully I am wrong though (happy to be actually) but I remain to be convinced.

Probably a bye product of the Hampden meeting where the LL/EOS were painted as the villains trying to destroy the juniors. Once the new league/conferences are up and running the scare stories will be exposed for what they were.
Spot on.

A fan forum of a club that may or may not have been involved much in the process is going to be full of those kind of scare stores. Its just coming from a place of ignorance.

You've got a mismash of ideas. Like how can there be no one left to play if not everyone is getting in because of cherry picking. Its pyramid myth bingo.

A fan forum of a club that may or may not have been involved much in the process is going to be full of those kind of scare stores. Its just coming from a place of ignorance.
You've got a mismash of ideas. Like how can there be no one left to play if not everyone is getting in because of cherry picking. Its pyramid myth bingo.
I genuinely hope so!

With regards licensing, February was the cut off date for applications to be submitted via the licensing department. That was long before covid and I doubt special cases would be considered.

I've been to a few Carluke Rovers games over the years, and I'm glad to see then apply. I had a feeling they might not though, as they have potentially quite a big problem to deal with - that being that the council have put their rent up so much they can't afford it, and may have to move. With nowhere suitable to move to. Hopefully that can be dealt with somehow, moving to the new league may help as it should boost their revenue in the long term.

53 minutes ago, STRUTHERS said:

Any news on Maybole applying to join the new league, or not?

46 minutes ago, glensmad said:
55 minutes ago, STRUTHERS said:

Spot on.

Those who've been "mislead" won't be pleased when they realise what's happened. They'll become WoS converts.

Guess that the youth set up needs to change next, seeing as an 18/19 year old should be almost ready for 'mens' football (after a shift down the pit)  Would a two year gap in youth football be workable ? under 10/12/14/16 maybe ? Let's hope things work out and the pyramid helps clubs to grow,modernise without being crippled financially.

8 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I've been to a few Carluke Rovers games over the years, and I'm glad to see then apply. I had a feeling they might not though, as they have potentially quite a big problem to deal with - that being that the council have put their rent up so much they can't afford it, and may have to move. With nowhere suitable to move to. Hopefully that can be dealt with somehow, moving to the new league may help as it should boost their revenue in the long term.

Maybe their rented facilities are good enough for the entry level licence already and will help them to get licenced quickly - and that could help them out?

Bad Wolf I would be interested to hear how Carluke moving to a new league will boost their revenue in the long term. 

After a season of Conferences the likelihood is that they will play the teams that they have played for years. Have they applied for a license to participate in the SSC? 

Those who've been "mislead" won't be pleased when they realise what's happened. They'll become WoS converts.
It'll be interesting to compare the reality of what actually happens regarding the WoSFL to what the clubs were told would be the case at the extra General Meeting on 10th March.

Maybe their rented facilities are good enough for the entry level licence already and will help them to get licenced quickly - and that could help them out?
Correct, Carluke's facilities will not be far away from licence-compliant already.

1 minute ago, Dev said:

I'm sure the ground itself is licence ready, if soulless, it has a running track which is obviously good for a public facility, not so good for watching football; and floodlights. If they strike it lucky in the conference and get a few clubs with decent supports visiting next season, that would help in the short term, but the fact is that they're not a well supported club (particularly for a town of 14000), so a near doubling of their rent will continue to be a problem I'd guess. Although it does seem from my glances at the junior attendances thread a while ago that there crowds may have gone up a bit in recent times. When I used to go a few times a year with my Dad in the 90s, 30 was pretty much par for the course, but I think I read that 80 was around average for this season. So they could have potential to grow local interest somewhat, as an alternative to the New New Firm (as I like to call them) and Motherwell, who have a fair amount of support in the town.

A myth that needs debunked on here is that SJC ties will played midweek. 

The Tuesday trip to Elgin was used as a stick to beat the Juniors. How laughable it was they mocked. But it's OK now for the Pyramid proponents to use the same stick about the SJC. 

It won't happen. Hardly any Juniors have floodlights and schools etc don't meet the criteria for hosting these ties 

Breaking news.  Lok have made 2 new signings for joining the new league next season.

The ladies team after international clearance  have signed Fay Wroe and the men

Have signed her brother Kai Wroe both played previously in Egypt for Pyramid United

2 minutes ago, the rambler said:

The Tuesday trip to Elgin was used as a stick to beat the Juniors. How laughable it was they mocked. But it's OK now for the Pyramid proponents to use the same stick about the SJC. 

It won't happen. Hardly any Juniors have floodlights and schools etc don't meet the criteria for hosting these ties 

Not sure it has been said by anyone other than as speculation, unlike the utter lies spouted by some of the salvationists.

8 minutes ago, the rambler said:

Bad Wolf I would be interested to hear how Carluke moving to a new league will boost their revenue in the long term. 

After a season of Conferences the likelihood is that they will play the teams that they have played for years. Have they applied for a license to participate in the SSC? 

I think I just answered your question above, but I'll reiterate, playing against relatively bigger clubs should boost crowds - they got promoted from the bottom division last year after several years stuck in the basement with no remotely well supported clubs in it. Plus in the longer term, a licence means Scottish Cup entry and the potential to get some really big home gates - an unsound business model I dare say, but one that works, up to a point, for many small clubs in Scotland. 

1 minute ago, the rambler said:

Nobody's saying it will. They're saying that the league fixtures, SCC and probably the WoSFL Cup will take precedence over the SJC. That limits the scope for the SJC to be played on prime dates. Especially once more clubs become licenced and also participate in the Scottish Cup.

The same sort of place that the SJC has in the calendar is that of other regional cups and at best the SCC itself. The SCC has games played midweek due to postponements as well over the years. That's the fate of the SJC while juggling pyramid commitments.