Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Presuming the information above about St. Cadocs is correct then, going by Wiki, that means almost all of the 50 most populous towns/cities in Scotland now have representation in the pyramid.

Only ones missing will be Bearsden, Erskine and Grangemouth.

Bishopbriggs (Rossvale) and Kirkintilloch (Rob Roy) don't currently have a club in their town.

Likewise going by council area East Dunbartonshire isn't currently covered due to those two clubs playing outwith their local area just now but it also only leaves the Western Isles, Shetland and Argyll without representation.

Getting awfully close to an a pyramid that is actually nationwide.

Well considering Rossvale have over 60 teams training at Huntershill, (Bishopbriggs) including the first team and the academy training at Milton they are very much integrated within the community. Only problem is the first team not playing home games at Bishopbriggs.  Quite a few boys from Bearsden training with the Clydebank Academy so yeha the Town doesn't have a team but Clydebank is the closest local team and now with Drumchapel joining the new WOS, they are even closer to Bearsden.

A wee ditto Hillwood have a big academy but don't have an official connection to any first team, the closest is Arthurlie and Pollok

My post there Asim is not contradicting you as I get what your meaning but the way its put was like dead and fast where there is leverage with the communities still interactive with the first team.

To be honest Pollok, the town, was the biggest populated area of Glasgow during the 80s n 90s, not sure now but Pollok FC play in the town of Shawlands and the first team moved last year from their training ground of Lochinch to Nethercraigs where they now training beside teams in the academy.  Rossvale for next season have now arranged that the two U19s teams are raining different days from the first team but have arranged a let beside the first team so usually either one of the U19s teams or the U21s team will train beside the first team one night a week gaining valuable experience and letting the managers keep an eye on whats going on.

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

Western Isles and Sheltand also have teams competing in cups with the NCL teams but I think being able to field a side in a winter league is a while away for both.

Lochgilphead, Oban and Dunoon could probably move to a WoSFL without too much difficulty in future to cover Argyll.

40 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I'd imagine Glasgow University will be staying at Airdrie due to wanting to keep their licence.

No idea what their plans are, but I suppose that would make sense...the university teams are outliers in as much as there's no real imperative for them to form links with a local area the way it would be high on the agenda of most clubs.

12 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

FWIW Falkirk and East Stirlingshire both technically play in Grangemouth if you go by the old burgh boundaries with Camelon being the only Falkirk team in the pyramid.

But if you're going to be 'technical', the old boundaries are irrelevant. That's why they're called 'old'.  Did Falkirk Council really pay millions for a stadium in another town?

2 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

But if you're going to be 'technical', the old boundaries are irrelevant. That's why they're called 'old'.  Did Falkirk Council really pay millions for a stadium in another town?

Grangemouth is still part of Falkirk Council Area

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

12 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

No idea what their plans are, but I suppose that would make sense...the university teams are outliers in as much as there's no real imperative for them to form links with a local area the way it would be high on the agenda of most clubs.

Advantages of Airdrie is that they are well ahead of the lowest licencing criteria. So its not something that Glasgow University would have to worry about year to year like was seen with the introduction of floodlights. You've also got the astro pitch that will ensure the majority of games get played as scheduled.

There's about to a few more convienent grounds in the West End with the move to the WoSFL but not many clubs will offer those two benefits to a tenant. Then when it comes to Garscube they might not want to invest further into it largely for fans that don't exist, if its even possible to do that on the site.

8 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Western Isles and Sheltand also have teams competing in cups with the NCL teams but I think being able to field a side in a winter league is a while away for both.

Lochgilphead, Oban and Dunoon could probably move to a WoSFL without too much difficulty in future to cover Argyll.

Both the Western Isles and the Shetlands would relish the idea of playing in the North Caley League, which could only be feasible if they had independent sponsorship, and direct financial support from the SFA.  This would require sufficient funding to cover the costs of flying to and from the islands for both their own players & officials, and for their opponents.  In addition, there are the costs of travelling on the mainland, from the airport to their opponents ground. 

With some financial support, Guernsey (Lions) and Jersey Bulls have been successful since they joined the English pyramid.  Also, the Isle of Man FC has applied to join the North West Counties League for 2020/21.

Regretfully, I can't see SFA  funding providing such financial support to Lewis & Harris FC and Shetland FC.   However, I hope that I am wrong.

9 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Advantages of Airdrie is that they are well ahead of the lowest licencing criteria. So its not something that Glasgow University would have to worry about year to year like was seen with the introduction of floodlights. You've also got the astro pitch that will ensure the majority of games get played as scheduled.

There's about to a few more convienent grounds in the West End with the move to the WoSFL but not many clubs will offer those two benefits to a tenant. Then when it comes to Garscube they might not want to invest further into it largely for fans that don't exist, if its even possible to do that on the site.

Yes there would be scope to develop Garscube, should this ever become necessary.   However, your point about investment and their fans,  is also relevant.

Edited by Robert James

4 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Would Glasgow Uni and BSC be, basically, looking for a ground in the same area as each other?

I haven't been up there in years but I thought the University was putting quite a bit of investment into Garscube.  It can't be that far off licence standards. Already floodlights, changing rooms etc 

58 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Both the Western Isles and the Shetlands would relish the idea of playing in the North Caley League

Stop posting bullshit personal opinion as fact.

48 minutes ago, drs said:

Stop posting bullshit personal opinion as fact.

drs you carefully chose to delete the caveat about the lack of sponsorship and SFA funding, without which the NCL or any other mainland league, would be impossible for Western Isles or Shetland clubs to participate in,  Are you a spokesperson for Lewis & Harris  FC ?  Or even for Shetland FC ?

If you are going to quote someone else's post, then have the nous to keep it in context, and relevant.  Please !

Oh and by the way, what "bullshit" are you referring to ? Examples please.

5 minutes ago, Robert James said:

drs you carefully chose to delete the caveat about the lack of sponsorship and SFA funding, without which the NCL or any other mainland league, would be impossible for Western Isles or Shetland clubs to participate in,  Are you a spokesperson for Lewis & Harris  FC ?  Or even for Shetland FC ?

If you are going to quote someone else's post, then have the nous to keep it in context, and relevant.  Please !

Oh and by the way, what "bullshit" are you referring to ? Examples please.

Your bullshit that these peolle would relish mainland/winter leagues.

Do you even know there is no such football club as Lewis & Harris FC ?

I'm not a spokesman but I have spoken to spokespeople at Carloway and Ness who both state there is no interest and no feasability for them playing in either mainland or winter leagues.

It's not just about money. Many players are off island in the winter and players can't afford a fortnightly 24 hours off crofts and boats.

3 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I'd imagine Glasgow University will be staying at Airdrie due to wanting to keep their licence.

Presumably they could keep Airdrie as their registered ground with the SFA and just ask the WOS to play games at Garscube if they wanted to.

2 hours ago, Robert James said:

With some financial support, Guernsey (Lions) and Jersey Bulls have been successful since they joined the English pyramid.  Also, the Isle of Man FC has applied to join the North West Counties League for 2020/21.

With 3-5x the population compared to Shetland and the Western Isles as well, in areas with twice the GDP of Scotland.

Edited by Ginaro

2 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Presumably they could keep Airdrie as their registered ground with the SFA and just ask the WOS to play games at Garscube if they wanted to.

Even in the amateurs Airdrie is their primary venue. Not sure if that's purely down to licencing or the simple finances of it. If you were only using Airdrie a couple of times a year, you might not be able to get the bookings when you need them. Whereas if you're a primary tenant with 20 odd bookings each season Airdrie are going to be more accommodating.