Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

20 minutes ago, shuggie123 said:

Can someone please list all the teams that have confirmed they will be leaving the juniors at the end of this season.

I'll start with Dalkeith.

Nobody at this point outside of the clubs and the EoS knows for sure, better to wait for an official announcement.

£12 for the utter dross that is League Two is laughable. There's very little difference in standard from halfway down League One to the bottom of the Highland League, the middle of the Lowland League, the bottom of the West Superleague and the middle of the East Superleague. Clubs drawing a paying crowd of 200-500 or so are all much the same. Queens Park aren't a higher standard than Pollok. 

£12 for most clubs in League 2 and basically all of us get higher average gates than every single junior side.

Theres quite a gulf between the bottom of League 2 and (bar the top 5/6) and the rest of the non league sides. Same as theres a big gulf between League 2 sides and the juniors.

League 1 Queens Park are a much higher standard, currently, than junior mob Pollok. But who knows maybe one day they'll be at the same level if they join the pyramid?

1 minute ago, drs said:

Nobody at this point outside of the clubs and the EoS knows for sure, better to wait for an official announcement.

I’ve seen various posts on here and elsewhere from people who should be ITK, and the figure seems to be 13-15 Junior clubs have applied plus two others.  Those others may be applications from Amateur clubs. The EoS website says applications have now closed and further info will be released shortly.

I think there’s one or two clubs who have put in applications pending EGM/members vote this week, Tranent and Musselburgh are two clubs holding such meetings.

I don’t believe Linlithgow or Bo’ness have applied.

Also, while Talbot come from a town of just under 4 thousand Ross County come from a town of just over 5 thousand, they've won the league Cup and competed in the Premiership for a few years now. 

While Ross County have Roy McGregor pumping millions into them.

Ken, there’s some right bumfaces on this thread! Seems like there’s some right sticklers for staying in the stagnant £6 at the gate Juniors.... What happened to your team being your team and you’ll support them whatever level or set-up they play in even if it does mean a wee bump in admission prices?

31 minutes ago, andy25 said:

Do you think he'd have put much cash into them if they were still a Highland League side and any chance of promotion did not exist? Playing at a higher level attracts investment and Junior clubs are, for better or worse, businesses.

Edited by cmontheloknow

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

I presume you're not claiming that Whitehill Welfare is a higher standard than Linlithgow Rose? 

Jesus wept. Sit doon and have another poo Gordon, and read my team again.

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

I saw Bo'ness give Queens Park an absolute chasing. If you think those Queens Park players weren't giving it their all, you're very much mistaken. 

No, I would expect them to beat a L2 side on their day, on their own midden (just like I saw them beat Elgin. Just like they could lose 5-0 to Arbroath in the next round, a chasing as you would call it).   I was talking about the Hearts-Talbot game in particular, and you can add Ross County- Linlithgow to that if you like.

38 minutes ago, JakeSAFC said:

£12 for most clubs in League 2 and basically all of us get higher average gates than every single junior side.

Theres quite a gulf between the bottom of League 2 and (bar the top 5/6) and the rest of the non league sides. Same as theres a big gulf between League 2 sides and the juniors.

League 1 Queens Park are a much higher standard, currently, than junior mob Pollok. But who knows maybe one day they'll be at the same level if they join the pyramid?

How much do you know about Queen's Park and Pollok? I have seen both teams this season. I would hazard a guess you have not.

Pollok's league average up to end of Jan was 701 (and including cup matches 556) but there's been 5 home league games since then, all vs Ayshire teams, and I don't have those figures to hand yet. It may have changed a bit but not much.

How much do you know about Queen's Park and Pollok? I have seen both teams this season. I would hazard a guess you have not.
Pollok's league average up to end of Jan was 701 (and including cup matches 556) but there's been 5 home league games since then, all vs Ayshire teams, and I don't have those figures to hand yet. It may have changed a bit but not much.

League 1 is a higher standard than junior football m8.

1 minute ago, JakeSAFC said:

You miss the point - you said Queen's Park were a 'much higher standard', not that they played at a higher standard. They have proved this year they have struggled with L1 football therefore their squad is not actually L1 standard and there is no guarantee that same squad if kept intact, will compete well in L2 should they be relegated.

7 minutes ago, JakeSAFC said:

But but but what about the one off cup ties junior sides have won against league opposition!?!? 

2 minutes ago, Tynieness said:

Correct much to my frustration and it is something I am furious about as its a huge opportunity lost.  The amount of clubs going will pretty much kill the East Juniors and those big clubs left behind i.e.  BU and LRFC will take years to catch up.

Last year when trying to sign players was the first season we were losing out to LL clubs for players and this pattern will continue.

Junior football is toast.

I have to say I am very surprised at Bo'ness and Linlithgow staying put for next season.

7 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

I have to say I am very surprised at Bo'ness and Linlithgow staying put for next season.

1 minute ago, Tynieness said:

I'm bitterly disappointed and there is plenty I could say but I will hold my council.

All I will say is I have a folder that took me weeks to compile with the completed paperwork required for a license application.

Gambling on getting parachuted into a level equal with the LL and HFL at the end of next season?  

You miss the point - you said Queen's Park were a 'much higher standard', not that they played at a higher standard. They have proved this year they have struggled with L1 football therefore their squad is not actually L1 standard and there is no guarantee that same squad if kept intact, will compete well in L2 should they be relegated.

But they are to a much higher standard. Crowds aside, going by what you've told me, they play in a superior level of football. Even if relegated they'll still be at a higher standard.

Hampden isn't everyone's cup of tea, but again its a much better stadium overall than Polloks ground.

Queens Parks playing squad will be much better than Polloks.

So, overall, Queens Park are a much better standard than Pollok.

35 minutes ago, andy25 said:

Myself, and I assume many others, fail to understand why you (on behalf of Talbot ?) are continuing with this junior v senior diatribe. Does any of it matter ?  No ! Is it of interest to others ?  No !

What is of interest is -

* how many applications have been made by East junior clubs to join the EoS, who are they, and how will this change the EoS structure for next season ?

* how will the West junior clubs pursue their declared interest in joining the pyramid in 2019/20, now that the SJFA has declared its 'support' ?

* how will clubs like Auchinlech & other juniors who are opposed to the pyramid, seek to reorganise and participate in the remaining Junior leagues, in the interim, and longer term ?

* what will happen subsequently in the North junior region, given (surprising) interest shown by some clubs in joining the pyramid ? 

* will the Highland/Lowland boundary need to be changed ?

and finally -

* if you dislike the SPFL and the pyramid as much as you obviously do, then why do you spend so much time thinking/arguing about it ?   This thread is about the future of junior football, not about Celtic, Ross County, Queens Park, Edinburgh City, etc. Each to their own.....surely ?

Think you are getting me mixed up with someone else. I haven't commented much and have stopped reading it as I can't be bothered reading much more about it and it's Auchinleck by the way.