Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

16 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

As a licensed club in the LL entering the Scottish Cup automatically you would have been looking at around 15K this season fom the SFA minimum from what I understand. Make it to midtable SPFL L2 and the various handouts probably total 60K or so. Good runs in the Scottish or League Cups make large financial windfalls like the one you would have got from the Tynecastle game possible as well.

Has the SFA sanctioned this?

3 hours ago, JakeSAFC said:

£12 for most clubs in League 2 and basically all of us get higher average gates than every single junior side.

Theres quite a gulf between the bottom of League 2 and (bar the top 5/6) and the rest of the non league sides. Same as theres a big gulf between League 2 sides and the juniors.

League 1 Queens Park are a much higher standard, currently, than junior mob Pollok. But who knows maybe one day they'll be at the same level if they join the pyramid?

Im not saying you're much wrong - although the tone is a bit sneery for a team that got horsed in the Scottish by an EOS side

I’m not ridiculing anyone.

And it seems like it sounds attractive to the majority of junior clubs now, you can either stay where you are or get on board. Upto yourselves.
I think it's a great idea for a lot of clubs but I can fully understand why Talbot (for example) have said they don't fancy it.

I'd be more than happy for Kilwinning to be one of the main pushers for a WOS league and I think in a town of 20k+ there is a lot of potential. The same goes for a few other clubs, for example Irvine Meadow (in a town of 40k+) could do well out of it.

But these two clubs aren't traditionally the most successful in Ayrshire so it's not as if they are swapping success year in year out for a shot at promotion.

2 hours ago, energyzone said:

It doesn't really. Talbot at best could be a SPFL 1 or 2 side. They simply don't have the population base to get higher than this. I'm not really seeing where these bigger trophies are. When was the last time one of the current SPFL 1 or 2 sides won one of the major competitions?

Saint Johnstone, Ross County, Inverness, Raith, Livingston and your own club Kilmarnock have all won national cups and played in the seaside leagues in the past thirty years. To focus on the current set of teams in the bottom two grades is to completely fail to grasp how a league system operates: when clubs are on an upswing, they begin doing so by moving out of the bottom two divisions. Once they hold their own and build up their structure in the second tier, top flight football and winning major competitions are the logical next steps. 

If you think that the senior leagues have now found some sort of natural order and no significant changes will occur in the future, you're either delusional or simply ignorant of the league's history. 

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

Saint Johnstone, Ross County, Inverness, Raith, Livingston and your own club Kilmarnock have all won national cups and played in the seaside leagues in the past thirty years. To focus on the current set of teams in the bottom two grades is to completely fail to grasp how a league system operates: when clubs are on an upswing, they begin doing so by moving out of the bottom two divisions. Once they hold their own and build up their structure in the second tier, top flight football and winning major competitions are the logical next steps. 

If you think that the senior leagues have now found some sort of natural order and no significant changes will occur in the future, you're either delusional or simply ignorant of the league's history. 

I'm not sure Livingston strengthen your argument.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'm not sure Livingston strengthen your argument.

No amount of huffing about how they achieved their period near the top changes the facts that they did so and were an appealing project to their investors at that time. And it doesn't look like they'll be going all the way back to their Meadowbank-era doldrums anytime soon.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

No amount of huffing about how they achieved their period near the top changes the facts that they did so and were an appealing project to their investors at that time. And it doesn't look like they'll be going all the way back to their Meadowbank-era doldrums anytime soon.

If you can't huff and puff about Livi, what can you huff and puff about?

On the EoS website;

Applications for membership.
The deadline for the submission of applications to join the East of Scotland Football League for Season 2018/19 has now passed and we can announce that there are a substantial number of Applicants. These applications will be considered at an Extraordinary General Meeting of the League towards the end of April.

35 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

On the EoS website;

The deadline for the submission of applications to join the East of Scotland Football League for Season 2018/19 has now passed and we can announce that there are a substantial number of Applicants. These applications will be considered at an Extraordinary General Meeting of the League towards the end of April.

We live in interesting times.

The East region also need to act now to find out who is going, they need to start planning  for next season as soon as possible. Losing around 10 clubs will most probably mean an end to the current setup and its only fair to those remaining that they have an idea quickly of who they will be playing next season. 

Who would have thought that Kelty would have torn the world asunder in a single year.

Edited by drs

37 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

On the EoS website;

Do the EoS have the space to take a lot of teams next season. They at 13 just now. An expansion to 16 seems feasible, but if it a fair number could they invite them in as a 2nd Division, or will they have to knock back a few, if the substantial numbers are there. Could be a very different looking East Region next season.

Just now, MEADOWXI said:

Do the EoS have the space to take a lot of teams next season. They at 13 just now. An expansion to 16 seems feasible, but if it a fair number could they invite them in as a 2nd Division, or will they have to knock back a few, if the substantial numbers are there. Could be a very different looking East Region next season.

The talk is of two parallel "seeded" leagues for next season, with the top 7 or 8 in each forming the top division for 2019/20.  That was one proposal I read. 

12 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

Months back before there was a real sense of how many applicants there would be, an 18 teams was the highest they would consider going for a single division. Then there's been a variety of ideas spitballed about how to deal with more than that. The EoS certainly seem open to a transitional format to accomodate as many clubs as possible.

We'll probably have an idea of the favoured format before the June AGM but until then it probably won't be ratified as you've got the various playoffs to take into consideration.

Correct much to my frustration and it is something I am furious about as its a huge opportunity lost.  The amount of clubs going will pretty much kill the East Juniors and those big clubs left behind i.e.  BU and LRFC will take years to catch up.
Last year when trying to sign players was the first season we were losing out to LL clubs for players and this pattern will continue.
Junior football is toast.

I take it that some of the committee were worried the hospitality wouldn't be so good in the EoSFL.

1 minute ago, A.M said:

I assume by the lack of info on here and Burnie_man " hoping so " , that a few clubs have applied without consulting their fans ?

That's my understanding.

For one, Tranent are holding their EGM on the 8th April re joining the EoS. As the deadline was not extended, they must have the application in already (assuming a jump for next season).

Just now, Burnie_man said:

I was consulted, so put your rod away :lol:

No rod, a genuine observation.

Talbot have received a lot of criticism on here for their views , but at least they were honest and open with their fans.