Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

3 minutes ago, G4Mac said:

You, and others, consistently state that all the clubs have bailed in search of money, how accurate do you believe this to be? I for one, along with multiple others, have presented you and others with the underlying reasons for clubs moving, which ultimately involves the buy into the national pyramid structure running in Scottish football so that clubs can attempt to progress both on and off the park - at no point has money been the sole motivator, although for clubs gaining their licence they will have an extra sum they wouldn't have had if they had remained junior, but this sum isn't the only motivator for the many.... Particularly the original applicants. 

Well let's consider progression on the park.  Let's be utterly and totally realistic. How many  of the current defectors could ever, in a hundred years, contemplate playing in SPFL2?  How many would even want to, the way it's presently constituted? I would guess 3 at most. So what you mean then is progression for a few to tier 5, the Lowland League.  This is realistically what ex-juniors can reasonably aspire to. And is it really progression, given the present constitution of the Lowland League? How many years before the LL actually contains the best non-league teams in the southern half of Scotland?

I'm all for a pyramid, but one which makes sense - not this shambolic set-up we have now in the East, created out of sheer panic.  I hope the West juniors will show how it should be done, but I have my doubts. 

23 hours ago, Khufu2 said:

Well let's consider progression on the park.  Let's be utterly and totally realistic. How many  of the current defectors could ever, in a hundred years, contemplate playing in SPFL2?  How many would even want to, the way it's presently constituted? I would guess 3 at most. So what you mean then is progression for a few to tier 5, the Lowland League.  This is realistically what ex-juniors can reasonably aspire to. And is it really progression, given the present constitution of the Lowland League? How many years before the LL actually contains the best non-league teams in the southern half of Scotland?

I'm all for a pyramid, but one which makes sense - not this shambolic set-up we have now in the East, created out of sheer panic.  I hope the West juniors will show how it should be done, but I have my doubts. 

You know very well there are many reasons for moving, as stated above. I keep hearing people saying that most clubs don't need to bother as they'll never reach SPFL2 or LL. With that logic, Albion Rovers & Montrose don't need to bother competing in the SPFL as they'll never reach the Scottish Premiership. The whole point of a pyramid is that clubs play football at their level, in an organisation that's far better organised than the shambles how junior football is run and they have the possibility to move up should they grow as a club.

The "shambolic" set-up in the east is all down to the inaction of the SJFA and their complete mismanagement of the whole situation. Nothing you can blame the defectors or the EoSFL for.

Edited by Marten

10 minutes ago, Tynieness said:

Can you, I do not have that information available, what I do have is a list of benefits...

What does the East of Scotland Football League have to offer?

• Membership of EOSFL which confirms acceptance of and commitment to the pyramid system thereby satisfying a mandatory requirement of being granted a Club Licence. SJFA - No

I'll just stop at the first one.

"What does the East of Scotland Football League have to offer?

Mandatory requirement of being granted a licence"  

There are teams in the EoS, who have been members for years, who are a million miles from being granted a licence. Peebles Rovers doesn't even have an enclosed ground. Mind you in the wonderful world of SFA licensing I suppose they could ground share with East Fife or someone like that.

LTHV could easily have been EoS champions this season. They  have no license.

Someone is going to have to explain the  EOS's "Mandatory requirement of being granted a licence"  to me.

3 minutes ago, Marten said:

You know very well there are many reasons for moving, as stated above. I keep hearing people saying that most clubs don't need to bother as they'll never reach SPFL2 or LL. With that logic, Albion Rovers & Montrose don't need to bother competing in the SPFL as they'll never reach the Scottish Premiership. 

They are competing at an appropriate level.  Do you think Blackburn United or Dalkeith Thistle aspire to play in national SPFL2?

2 minutes ago, Khufu2 said:

There are teams in the EoS, who have been members for years, who are a million miles from being granted a licence. Peebles Rovers doesn't even have an enclosed ground. Mind you in the wonderful world of SFA licensing I suppose they could ground share with East Fife or someone like that.

Someone is going to have to explain the  EOS's "Mandatory requirement of being granted a licence"  to me.

Being granted a license. That means, that if you are in that division and match the requirements, you will be granted a license, unlike in the juniors.

And LTHV are either on the verge of getting one or have just received one.

1 minute ago, Khufu2 said:

They are competing at an appropriate level.  Do you think Blackburn United or Dalkeith Thistle aspire to play in national SPFL2?

No, they're not, but they will end up competing at an appropriate level after the transition in the EOS, which could be EOS Premier, EOS First Division or whatever. And who knows, they might be able to grow as clubs?

You could of course quote in context

20 minutes ago, boheesian said:

Hopefully his fingers have tired out. Then again maybe no,

Now the second one:

"Automatic entry to the Scottish Cup for Champion Club irrespective of licencing status which will generate a minimum income in excess of £3,000 "

No difference from SJFA champions.

then the third one

• 3 ways of Scottish Cup Entry, EOS & SOS League Champions, Alex Jack Cup Winner, Any Licenced Club SJFA - No

Puzzled how being SoS champion is a benefit of being an EoS club.  Applying the same logic

3 ways of Scottish Cup entry for juniors - North/ West/East champion, Junior Cup winners, any licensed club. SJFA Yes

22 minutes ago, Khufu2 said:

Who knows what will happen over the next few decades? When I started watching football who could have guessed HFL sides  ICT & Ross Co. would play in the top flight of the Scottish game> Or in England NPL Wigan Ath. would play in the top flight and win the FA cup. Who would have thought Bournemouth, Barnsley, Swansea and Burnley, or Hull all perennial strugglers in the FL would play top flight. On the downside who would have thought Torquay or Stockport would have ended up tier 6 regional football.

11 minutes ago, Khufu2 said:

Now the second one:

"Automatic entry to the Scottish Cup for Champion Club irrespective of licencing status which will generate a minimum income in excess of £3,000 "

No difference from SJFA champions.

then the third one

• 3 ways of Scottish Cup Entry, EOS & SOS League Champions, Alex Jack Cup Winner, Any Licenced Club SJFA - No

Puzzled how being SoS champion is a benefit of being an EoS club.  Applying the same logic

3 ways of Scottish Cup entry for juniors - North/ West/East champion, Junior Cup winners, any licensed club. SJFA Yes

You are one sad man that you get all excited about being an arse and still being wrong. LTHV have a licence now and all u have is an East of scotland clUb wouldn't be sos champion

10 minutes ago, Khufu2 said:

Then the third one

3 ways of entry are becoming significantly more different than what they appear though.

League Champion - stays the same.

Licenced Club - SJFA capped at Girvan and Banks O'dee with Linlithgow Rose likely to leave. EoS as a pyramid league can have new licenced clubs.

Alex Jack Cup/Junior Cup - Junior Cup is for everyone in the SJFA, Alex Jack Cup is for non-SFA members only.

bottom line is Junior clubs these days only have the route into the 'Big' cup via winning thei leagues and the Junior Cup (so it's Beith, Talbot this season, Bonnyrigg with their palce and Banks o' Dee in anyway).

The EoS sides have similar opportunities via the league and East/South Shield (not Alex Jack Cup directly, but the winner plays in that play off) BUT they also have the chance to get a license and gain AUTOMATIC entry. Juniors cannot ever do this (as it stands). Tht makes it 1-0 to EoS (to me).

1 minute ago, cmontheloknow said:

bottom line is Junior clubs these days only have the route into the 'Big' cup via winning thei leagues and the Junior Cup (so it's Beith, Talbot this season, Bonnyrigg with their palce and Banks o' Dee in anyway).

Is this still happening for next season??

Just now, heedthebaa said:

Is this still happening for next season??

Yes. Why wouldn't it? To change it would need to go through SFA AGM and I'm not aware of any proposal in place yet to remove it? Such a proposal was defeated a year or two back.

6 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

The EoS sides have similar opportunities via the league and East/South Shield (not Alex Jack Cup directly, but the winner plays in that play off) BUT they also have the chance to get a license and gain AUTOMATIC entry. Juniors cannot ever do this (as it stands). Tht makes it 1-0 to EoS (to me).

Aye, but somebody is going to invade the pitch shortly, and get the match abandoned...