Worst pub in Scotland

Apart from the Indian next to the old cinema I cant think of a decent place in Stirling to eat, just clogged up with chain pubs, brewers fare type places and a couple of truly howling buffets, the chinese one in Friar St and the world buffet in Dumbarton Rd are as grim as anywhere I have ever fucking eaten.

Haven't been for an evening meal in Stirling for ages, but although yet another gastro-pub, The Birds & The Bees down at East Cornton Road is decent for lunch. The Alan Water cafe in Bridge of Allan is really good too and always busy. If you want a good evening meal out near Stirling, much better going up to Dunblane and to either Cromlix House or The Kailyard at Dunblane Hydro.

8 minutes ago, Dominique Malonga said:

:lol: Where you in the lounge or the wee function room on your visit?

In the function room, but it was open to locals - there were two males 'dancing' in a similar style to the boy in that video on page 1 - brilliant! :lol:

7 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Are we talking strippers in a miners welfare here..??

Details !!

Thankfully, both of the boys kept their taps oan.

Just now, Dominique Malonga said:

Spot on :lol: you must be local then?

Only reason I know his name is that I worked with him for a few months years ago - nice guy - totally harmless, I think - the definition of a happy drunk?

I'm from Easthouses, but I live in Dalkeith now - most of the pubs in Dalkeith are ok, surprisingly!

4 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Ah the good old Netherfield Bar aka the Nerry.

One of the two or three small "dance halls" in the East End. Put a dance hall in the lounge and a ghetto blaster and apply for a late night licence. There was another one in an industrial estate in Shettleston. As long you didn't bump into the local warlord you were fine.

Drink a beer after midnight in the East End on Tuesday. It was almost Benidormesque.

Reminds me of when late night "entertainment" licences first arrived in Belfast, allowing pubs to open to 01:00a.m. One particularly dodgy Loyalist bar near where I lived had an old guy in the corner on a stool with a guitar, and he was utterly fcuking rotten, but you weren't allowed to say a word about him because he was the reason we got an extra two hours drinking time. The pub itself was a complete dive, with a cage around the front door where you had to be "buzzed" in, and the amount of complete growlers was off the scale.

Only reason I know his name is that I worked with him for a few months years ago - nice guy - totally harmless, I think - the definition of a happy drunk?
I'm from Easthouses, but I live in Dalkeith now - most of the pubs in Dalkeith are ok, surprisingly!

Aye he is a nice guy, totally harmless as you say. I only ever saw him in the wee club and I can still remember seeing him sober for the first time on his way to work, you wouldn't think it's the same guy:lol:

Aye I've found Dalkeith to be ok generally. There's always a few arseholes kicking about but it's like that everywhere i suppose.

4 minutes ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

Reminds me of when late night "entertainment" licences first arrived in Belfast, allowing pubs to open to 01:00a.m. One particularly dodgy Loyalist bar near where I lived had an old guy in the corner on a stool with a guitar, and he was utterly fcuking rotten, but you weren't allowed to say a word about him because he was the reason we got an extra two hours drinking time. The pub itself was a complete dive, with a cage around the front door where you had to be "buzzed" in, and the amount of complete growlers was off the scale.

Is there cage entrance pubs still left?

7 minutes ago, Dominique Malonga said:

Aye he is a nice guy, totally harmless as you say. I only ever saw him in the wee club and I can still remember seeing him sober for the first time on his way to work, you wouldn't think it's the same guy:lol:

Aye I've found Dalkeith to be ok generally. There's always a few arseholes kicking about but it's like that everywhere i suppose.

So, why do the call him 'the leader', then? :lol:

6 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Is there cage entrance pubs still left?

Slightly off topic but id seen a couple of shops/off licences in Liverpool and Manchester where the booze, fags, till and even crisps and chocolate were behind security glass with a wee hatch where the guy handed you the goods once you had paid.

I had genuinely never seen that in Scotland till I popped into the shop at the top of the hill behind Firhill for cigarettes after the Partick v Celtic game last month :lol: , although im sure there are other shops in the country with this feature.

So, why do the call him 'the leader', then? :lol:

I'll have to get back to you on that one as I'm not actually sure, I've just always knew him as the leader :lol:

I can remember my uncle telling me that they all went over to Spain(Barcelona I think) and the leader went missing for two weeks, everyone on the trip actually thought he was dead. The British Consulate phoned my uncle telling him that he'd been found safe and (not so) well in hospital. I can't remember how it came to pass and what he was doing for the two weeks as it was years ago I was told the story. My uncle is actually coming over from New Zealand In a few weeks, I'll need to ask him what actually happened.

1 minute ago, Dominique Malonga said:

I'll have to get back to you on that one as I'm not actually sure, I've just always knew him as the leader :lol:

I can remember my uncle telling me that they all went over to Spain(Barcelona I think) and the leader went missing for two weeks, everyone on the trip actually thought he was dead. The British Consulate phoned my uncle telling him that he'd been found safe and (not so) well in hospital. I can't remember how it came to pass and what he was doing for the two weeks as it was years ago I was told the story. My uncle is actually coming over from New Zealand In a few weeks, I'll need to ask him what actually happened.

Fucksake! :lol: Sounds about right, mind! :lol:

15 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Slightly off topic but id seen a couple of shops/off licences in Liverpool and Manchester where the booze, fags, till and even crisps and chocolate were behind security glass with a wee hatch where the guy handed you the goods once you had paid.

I had genuinely never seen that in Scotland till I popped into the shop at the top of the hill behind Firhill for cigarettes after the Partick v Celtic game last month :lol: , although im sure there are other shops in the country with this feature.

There was a shop just off Gorgie road that was like that for a while. Been turned into a house now.