Massive fire at high rise flats in London

2 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Allegedly over 600 buildings identified as having iffy cladding already, according to reports.  3 with the same cladding as Grenfel Tower.

Govt not naming them specifically yet, to avoid creating panic.

Great idea. Leave everycunt wondering.

Great idea. Leave everycunt wondering.

It's the new Postcode Lottery.

Everyone living in a tower block, that have all been newly numbered, stays at home.

Dale Winton draws out numbers and Rachel Riley presses a button to shoot a firework into matching numbered tower block.

If the block catches fire the first 10 out survive and win a new flat and a bendy Fireman Sam doll

Kris Akabusi laughs hysterically throughout no matter what is happening

9 hours ago, whiskychimp said:

Shouldnt the council be checking these things before signing off on the refurbishment?

Contactor is in the shit but the council trying to pass off all the blame is ridiculous. 

Of course they should have checked. But they've deflected the attention (and blame) for now. It will all inevitably come down to the usual scenario . . . lawyer v lawyer. 

A work colleague of mine was reading something out to me about a woman who bought one of the flats next to where the Grenfell survivors are going to be housed.  She was bemoaning the fact that her property value will nosedive as a result.  He actually sympathised with her.

f**k her and f**k her equity.  It's that kind of I'm alright Jack mentality that has seen us end up with successive Tory Governments.

Once again I can only apologise for politicising this.

21 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

How many contain dodgy fridges, though?

I wonder how, or if, the identification of a fridge as the immediate cause of the fire fits in with a previous

record of unexplained power surges in this building. Devices overheating, smoking.

I've had fridges, electric cookers etc that died of old age. Never had one that burst into flames of its own volition.

They were interviewing some walloper on the news about how the whole incident could have an effect on property prices in Kensington. The man seemed genuinely concerned that this could happen only a mile or so away from the most expensive residential street in the world, Kensington palace gardens. A street that only billionaires could even dream of living on.

Britain is a truly horrible place, populated by a large number of c***s.

7 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

They were interviewing some walloper on the news about how the whole incident could have an effect on property prices in Kensington. The man seemed genuinely concerned that this could happen only a mile or so away from the most expensive residential street in the world, Kensington palace gardens. A street that only billionaires could even dream of living on.

Britain is a truly horrible place, populated by a large number of c***s.

This.  Britain is, by and large, a nation of absolute c***s, with just a smattering of good guys.

4 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

BBC reporting that both the cladding & insulation have failed the police enquiry safety tests, talk of possible manslaughter charges.
Quite why they are leading with that particular headline when the most scandalous information is contained within the article, I've no idea.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40380584

Fiona, whilst having massive norks, cannot string a sentence together despite reading her notes.

5 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

BBC reporting that both the cladding & insulation have failed the police enquiry safety tests, talk of possible manslaughter charges.
Quite why they are leading with that particular headline when the most scandalous information is contained within the article, I've no idea.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40380584

100% agree about the headline, the fridge is by no means the important item in the story, it's the cladding.  

100% agree about the headline, the fridge is by no means the important item in the story, it's the cladding.  

Also naming the brand of fridge freezer is a bit shitty IMO, something that seems to be not spoken too much about is that the fire service visited the property and dealt with the issue with the fridge & it was contained within the property ( they thought) but upon leaving the building they noticed the outside was ablaze - the FF had been situated next to an open window- and rushed back in to start the evacuation.

21 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

Also naming the brand of fridge freezer is a bit shitty IMO, something that seems to be not spoken too much about is that the fire service visited the property and dealt with the issue with the fridge & it was contained within the property ( they thought) but upon leaving the building they noticed the outside was ablaze - the FF had been situated next to an open window- and rushed back in to start the evacuation.

Agreed, especially considering that there was no recall or known defect with that brand or model.

5 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Agreed, especially considering that there was no recall or known defect with that brand or model.

Probably because it is a discontiued model and has been since 2009.

From the BBC article,

What do I do if I have a Hotpoint fridge freezer?

By Kevin Peachey, BBC News

Anyone who has a white Hotpoint fridge freezer model number FF175BP or graphite fridge freezer model number FF175BG should register their appliance with the manufacturer to receive any updates.

Generally, the model number is found on a bar code on a sticker behind the salad container in the fridge.

These models were discontinued in 2009, but 64,000 were sold between March 2006 and July 2009. It is not known how many are still in use.

Owners should ring 0800 316 3826 or visit the Hotpoint website.

Fires connected to fridge freezers and other electrical appliances are relatively common.

How many times has it been resold second hand , had a fuse changed or had an annual service if in original ownership since. It well beyond warranty and proably life expectancy of a FF and any attempt to cast blame on the manufacturer would be wrong.

The disaster was caused by the failure of the cladding and insulation on the building not on an internal flat fire that was controlled and would be expected.