European draws

wastecoatwilly

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Probably not. UEFA have already said that if there is a problem with teams from certain countries playing each other, the match would be held in another country.

There seems to be evidence from all the previous draws that the travel corridors have been taken into account to at least some extent.

Guest DAVIDB69

If they all got to the play off round unlikely but with a full set of SPFL games on Friday October 2nd to “help” Scotland doesn’t look these fixtures on Friday will be much good if most of them are moved to the Sunday

Servette have an awful record in Europe of late as do most Swiss sides apart from Young Boys and Basel . I guess its very similar to here. 

I know the press officer there and the last time I was at one of their games (2016) they were in the 3rd tier having had a financial melt down (Sounds familiar) but the crowd was only 2500 in a 30,000 stadium. Supposedly the fans in Geneva only support top level events and it was a real struggle to get the team back to the top level. 

Servette is the toughest of the 3, but I would hope Rangers could handle the 4th-place team in the Swiss League.

If Motherwell can avoid Gothenburg that would be fantastic.

Viking has been poor this season but obviously is the most difficult squad of those options for Aberdeen. Still, you'd hope the Dons could win that, but we'd rather not find out. 

Red Imps, B36 and Bala Town probably the ideal draw.

Red Imps, B36 and Bala Town probably the ideal draw.

Unfortunately not a possible draw as if Aberdeen get Bala town, then Motherwell would get Goteburg. And if Motherwell get B36 then Rangers can’t get red imps, due to the numbering in the groups.

2 hours ago, Spectre said:

Unfortunately not a possible draw as if Aberdeen get Bala town, then Motherwell would get Goteburg. And if Motherwell get B36 then Rangers can’t get red imps, due to the numbering in the groups.

I don't think you are correct here. Based on what I saw for the first round, each group has no affect on the next. The below link from UEFA seems to confirm. So all the matchups I listed are possible.

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/draws/2021/2001237/

Edited by AmericanFan
more

I don't think you are correct here. Based on what I saw for the first round, each group has no affect on the next. The below link from UEFA seems to confirm. So all the matchups I listed are possible.

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/draws/2021/2001237/
I'm sure Spectre is correct. To speed the draw up they number the teams in the groupings 1-6. They can then just draw out those 1-6 balls and all 1's will play all 5's for example.
Aberdeen and Motherwell are both 1. Rangers are 3.

1 hour ago, charger29 said:

I'm sure Spectre is correct. To speed the draw up they number the teams in the groupings 1-6. They can then just draw out those 1-6 balls and all 1's will play all 5's for example.
Aberdeen and Motherwell are both 1. Rangers are 3.

I'm sure I'm correct, because the way I watched it for the first round didn't go that way. The numbers don't mean anything. From the article I linked above:

How the draw will work

The UEFA administration has formed groups for the draws to avoid clubs without an approved stadium being drawn against each other, in accordance with the principles set by the Club Competitions Committee. Sides from the same association cannot be drawn against each other.

League Path draw
The balls containing the names of the seeded teams will be placed in one bowl and the balls containing the names of the unseeded will be put into another bowl. One ball will be taken from each bowl and placed in a large empty bowl in the middle, where they will be shuffled. The first team drawn will play the tie at home.

Edited by AmericanFan
more

I'm sure I'm correct, because the way I watched it for the first round didn't go that way. The numbers don't mean anything. From the article I linked above:

How the draw will work
The UEFA administration has formed groups for the draws to avoid clubs without an approved stadium being drawn against each other, in accordance with the principles set by the Club Competitions Committee. Sides from the same association cannot be drawn against each other.
League Path draw
The balls containing the names of the seeded teams will be placed in one bowl and the balls containing the names of the unseeded will be put into another bowl. One ball will be taken from each bowl and placed in a large empty bowl in the middle, where they will be shuffled. The first team drawn will play the tie at home.
You can watch the 1st round draw here.

03:30-05:30 has the guy explaining how the draw is applied instantly to all groups and also shows the draw itself (there is another draw after this because in the 1st round some groups had 8 teams so need to use the balls 1-8 instead).

I take your point on the website saying names in a bowl etc. I just don't think they've updated it correctly/care about updating it.
Maybe I'm wrong though.

39 minutes ago, charger29 said:

You can watch the 1st round draw here.

03:30-05:30 has the guy explaining how the draw is applied instantly to all groups and also shows the draw itself (there is another draw after this because in the 1st round some groups had 8 teams so need to use the balls 1-8 instead).

I take your point on the website saying names in a bowl etc. I just don't think they've updated it correctly/care about updating it.
Maybe I'm wrong though.

Ok, apparently I'm going senile or losing my mind because I can't even recall something correctly from three weeks ago. Apologies. I was wrong and everyone else was right.

As lomg at its not 1 an 4 paired together then i am fine with it. Would prefer a 1 and 5 pairing but 1 and 6 would be great as well.

I believe for Motherwell to go through we will need to have home advantage in any case.  I guess we will have to wait and see.

Ok, apparently I'm going senile or losing my mind because I can't even recall something correctly from three weeks ago. Apologies. I was wrong and everyone else was right.
It was probably the CL draws you're thinking of. They're lucky enough to get their own team names on individual bits of paper. The Europa must be too tinpot for that.

10 minutes ago, charger29 said:
1 hour ago, AmericanFan said:

It was probably the CL draws you're thinking of. They're lucky enough to get their own team names on individual bits of paper. The Europa must be too tinpot for that.

haha. Could be.