Another van ploughed into folk in London

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Rugster said:

5 local. Spain is an hour ahead. 

Yes, a bit thick with time zones. Just getting busy with locals going home from work with modern hours or going back to work with traditional hours. Been talking shite.

Strange time to choose, around 3pm local time. I know the siesta isn't so prevalent anymore and there would be loads of tourists, but it would be a lot busier in the evening, and the restaurant where the gunmen are supposed to be holed up would likely be near empty.

Las Ramblas is a lot busier during the day. Some days there's a market with loads of stalls etc. At night it's a fair bit quieter, mainly because it's notorious for drugs, hookers, pickpockets and muggers after dark.

51 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:

Has Trump tweeted something hideously inappropriate yet?

Bit of a contrast with Charlottesville first reaction.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/896431205549318144

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/898254409511129088

P.S. I think he's talking about this. His tweet will probably be deleted soon.*

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/pershing.asp

*screen shot

trump.JPG.e5b453254674aaf545a2236d77d68523.JPG

Islamic State have taken credit for the attack, but at this moment that really means f**k all as they take credit with every incident that happens, regardless of their involvement

Except they haven't and they don't. And it's not a matter of semantics.

16 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

It really is horrible. I hate when people try to sound cultured and pronounce it Barthalona.

"Petty terrorist related things that get on your nerves" for this

I'll add the person who followed the action with their phone, completely bypassing the girls in the black shorts arse.

It's been on 10 times now and everytime the same thing

Yup. I'm more than aware that's how it gets reported. That's not claiming responsibility though. It's claiming inspiration. Again, in the context of IS, that's more than semantics. It is a gauge of the nature of IS, which is constantly in a state of flux. I could go on, but I seem to repeat myself on here a lot.

For people who study such things, the wording of these "claims" is highly significant. IS does not claim "credit" for everything. Far from it. It isn't claiming credit for this. Manchester was a different scenario entirely.

ETA I'm also not so aloof as not to realise that for most folks, the difference is irrelevant, and quite rightly so.

Archived