Champions League 2017/18

lichtie23

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

I'm also fully on board with their madcap tactics after they scored the third goal.

Enjoyed that too. Why see out the last few minutes in the corner when you can bomb forward and go for another goal? :lol:

The Roma game is quite possibly the best thing I’ve ever seen ever (although I never saw the game) and I include seeing Aberdeen 83, the birth of my daughter, the cure for cancer and time travel.

You not from Elgin? Time travel is getting the bus to the big city is it not?

1 hour ago, JamesM82 said:

Fair fucks to Roma. Even if they aren't exactly minnows, it did restore a little faith that the Champions League isn't just a Real / Barca / PSG / Bayern / Man U / City snorefest.

I'm also fully on board with their madcap tactics after they scored the third goal.

I haven’t had a chance to watch it yet, what did they do?

Just let me bask in the glory of one multi million pound team beating a team with more multi millions of pounds.

I blame Aberdeen FC. If it wasn't for Sir Alex winning that diddy cup in 83 he probably would never got the Man Utd job. The shame is all on youz again....

They just kept attacking and sending players forward when they were in possession. They almost got caught out on the break but they just kept going. Best part of ten minutes to hold out against Barcelona, plus stoppage time but I think they knew even with the likes of Messi playing that Barcelona weren't scoring. From 2-0 it just looked like the players believed they would be going through and their game plan didn't change much after they got the third goal.

1 hour ago, JamesM82 said:

Fair fucks to Roma. Even if they aren't exactly minnows, it did restore a little faith that the Champions League isn't just a Real / Barca / PSG / Bayern / Man U / City snorefest.

PSG and Man City have very little pedigree in the Champs League tbh.

Agree it was great to see Roma go through though.

38 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

What @Jmothecat2 said. Also, they continued to squeeze the game and played an extremely high defensive line. At one point, Barca pumped a ball over the top - three (!) players were in offside positions, but the referees only seemed to realise that two of them were. Those two players left the ball alone, while the third (Pique, who was playing as an emergency centre forward) chased after it. The keeper had to come 25 yards out to tackle the ball away. Ball went to Dembele on the Barca right, who tried to lob the goalkeeper and the retreating defenders from 50 yards - effort went just over the bar.

Just completely mad.

What @Jmothecat2 said. Also, they continued to squeeze the game and played an extremely high defensive line. At one point, Barca pumped a ball over the top - three (!) players were in offside positions, but the referees only seemed to realise that two of them were. Those two players left the ball alone, while the third (Pique, who was playing as an emergency centre forward) chased after it. The keeper had to come 25 yards out to tackle the ball away. Ball went to Dembele on the Barca right, who tried to lob the goalkeeper and the retreating defenders from 50 yards - effort went just over the bar.
Just completely mad.

I've also not didn't watch the game just 10 mins highlights. What it was, is we are winning and beating them how were are playing why change. They kept their mentality of win win. Not win, then not loose. Which happens with most teams whatever level.

4 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

PSG and Man City have very little pedigree in the Champs League tbh.

Agree it was great to see Roma go through though.

Those two have a habit of choking in the early knockout rounds, but they have helped to turn the group stages into an almost total non-event. The only interesting group this year was the Chelsea / Atletico / Roma one.

1 hour ago, SlipperyP said:

I blame Aberdeen FC. If it wasn't for Sir Alex winning that diddy cup in 83 he probably would never got the Man Utd job. The shame is all on youz again....

If he hadnt shown the potential at St Mirren he would have never travelled north so blame St Maureen.

5 hours ago, Mastermind said:

Liverpool coming from 3-0 down in the final in Istanbul to win the Champions League is the only better comeback that immediately comes to mind. There’s possibily others, but can’t be that many.

Deportivo also came from 4-1 down to qualify in 03/04. They beat reigning champions Milan 4-0 at the Riazor.

Probably quite a similar scale of comeback to last night, actually. That Milan team was formidable, and the thought of them conceding 4 goals was totally unexpected. Although Depor did have some class attacking players at the time as well.

2 hours ago, Jmothecat2 said:

They just kept attacking and sending players forward when they were in possession. They almost got caught out on the break but they just kept going. Best part of ten minutes to hold out against Barcelona, plus stoppage time but I think they knew even with the likes of Messi playing that Barcelona weren't scoring. From 2-0 it just looked like the players believed they would be going through and their game plan didn't change much after they got the third goal.

They probably remembered psg's capitulation to barca last season when they just humped it forward to no one, giving barca the ball back, at least attacking them it puts barca on the back foot and puts them deeper in their own half 

4 hours ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

How’s things ? ... :lol: 

You must keep a record of everything anyone ever posts about Lolverpool, indexed by our usernames.

Fair enough you're a fan boy, but that's taking it a bit far.

5 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

2009/10 

Bayern Munich v Lyon

Inter Milan v Barcelona

Before that it was 2003/04

Monaco v Chelsea

Porto v Deportivo

Blimey, 3 times in the last 15 years. I didn't think it would be that bad.

Archived