League Predictions

Just now, Harry Kinnear said:

Have they been beaten by Dunfermline since May 2011, a period covering 10 meetings between the 2 clubs?

We have been colossally shite for most of that time. We didn't beat United or Hibs last season either. We're not delusional though. 

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Scott McDonald may still have the killer instinct. Time will tell on that one. The key for me though is that if we had signed him it wouldnt have allowed the change in style to what we are seeing so far with Fash and Loy.

It would have remained turgid like last season and for that reason, its Loy for me over Skippy.

I think McDonald could be used in the same way that we've used Loy so far, I just don't know if, at 34, he'll still have the legs or desire to do so?

I think we can see with Kerr and Lee that they're not the same players as before due to their ages but that they can still do us a job if used at the right times in certain roles.

We have been colossally shite for most of that time. We didn't beat United or Hibs last season either. We're not delusional though. 

What's beating United and Hibs last season got to do with your pish recent record against us?

5 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Well, we've seen their actual performance together which shows the potential that they have playing together in the future. If you'd asked me at the end of last season which two players I would want in there I'd have struggled with the answer.

To look at it with a slightly different slant; can you imagine the hammering Houston would get if he now took the (hypothetical) opportunity to swap them with the Utd two and it turned out badly? It wouldn't make any sense to do that.

I'd be interested to know why you would prefer Austin and Loy though?

I still don't think 3 games is enough to know whether it's a better partnership than a partnership that hasn't played together. Having said that...

Austin and Loy are a more dynamic front two for me, Austin has the pace and athleticism and Loy is a really clever player. Keatings has pace but isn't all that athletic or strong, he's a poacher really. McDonald is obviously a very good player but I'm not sure as a front two they would work - they seem quite similar players. Austin and Loy also have far greater potential looking forward, McDonald will likely retire soon and Keatings will shite himself again if United get promoted where I would imagine you'd have a decent chance of keeping both Loy and Austin if you were promoted (barring Austin scoring 30 goals this season and getting a move down south/top Premiership).

Still expect both teams to rack up a good number of goals mind you and I can't call who will win the division. At this point in time it looks like a race between Falkirk and United though.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I still don't think 3 games is enough to know whether it's a better partnership than a partnership that hasn't played together. Having said that...

Austin and Loy are a more dynamic front two for me, Austin has the pace and athleticism and Loy is a really clever player. Keatings has pace but isn't all that athletic or strong, he's a poacher really. McDonald is obviously a very good player but I'm not sure as a front two they would work - they seem quite similar players. Austin and Loy also have far greater potential looking forward, McDonald will likely retire soon and Keatings will shite himself again if United get promoted where I would imagine you'd have a decent chance of keeping both Loy and Austin if you were promoted (barring Austin scoring 30 goals this season and getting a move down south/top Premiership).

Still expect both teams to rack up a good number of goals mind you and I can't call who will win the division. At this point in time it looks like a race between Falkirk and United though.

Well, yes, I agree with everything you're saying, seeing them perform together has merely strengthened those views for me. 

I'm not in any way saying that Keatings and McDonald are bad players or that Loy and Austin will turn out better and I would certainly have taken both if circumstances had been different.

2 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

What's beating United and Hibs last season got to do with your pish recent record against us?

What's so strange about a decent side beating a not so good one? Just putting it in context that our problem is beating the best full time sides and not just limited to Falkirk. We went a whole year recently not beating any full time teams. 

45 minutes ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

Nicky Clark :lol:

McManus & Clark - 21
McDonald & Keatings - 14
Loy & Austin - 14 

By my maths, that's a middle-of-the road team like Dunfermline with a strikeforce that scored 50% more league goals last season than the pairings Utd/Falkirk fans are creaming themselves over. 

I would say both partnerships are completely different, from what I've seen of Falkirk (albiet not a lot) it's about pace and quickness, at united they've brought wide players in to do the pace and width and our forward players by the looks of things will play 1 2s with each around the box and do all the neat passing etc, I hope that kinda makes sense (i know in my head what I'm trying to say)

4 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

McManus & Clark - 21
McDonald & Keatings - 14
Loy & Austin - 14 

By my maths, that's a middle-of-the road team like Dunfermline with a strikeforce that scored 50% more league goals last season than the pairings Utd/Falkirk fans are creaming themselves over. 

:lol::thumsup2

Our first choice XI at the moment is probably something like

-------------Ridgers-------------

Seedorf--Mckay--Warren--Calder--

--Polworth--Draper--Vigurs--Mulreany--

-------------Baird---Zshuchsen------------

Mulreany has been out due to injury, swap Chalmers out for him.  Also, you might swap Oakely and Zschusschen.

We could maybe try and play a narrow midfield in the 4-4-2, with Polowrth tucking in and maybe Chalmers swapping for Mulreany.  We'd then rely on our full-backs for width, they've looked pretty decent so far, and try to feed strikers like that.

The difficulties with this are that it relies on quite a few players who have been inconsistent in their form.  Vigurs is clearly a good passer but, as demonstrated by the clip of him letting McKee run away from him at the weekend, doesn't really work hard enough.  Polworth needs to get back to the form he showed in 15/16 and settle into a role as a wide midfielder.  Mulreany is raw and for all his pace and physical talent he hasn't had enough influence on games.

Draper is obviously an accomplished player but he needs to take responsiblity for the midfield this season.  Since arriving at the club he's played alongside Owain Tudur-Jones, Richie Foran and Greg Tansey - all excellent partners, with Tansey and OTJ being ball players to complement Draper's defensive ability.  If he's still with us then Draper needs to set a goal of being the best midfielder in the league and leading this team.

At the back the full-backs are new but look promising but I'm not hugely convinced with Warren and Mckay.  I don't think Mckay is good enough, he makes too many mistakes.  Warren has been a tremendous player for us but he slid badly last season and at times it looked as though his legs had gone.  How he responds to that is going to be a big marker for how well we keep the opposition out.

As above, Baird is a worker, which is useful for us, but no-one really knows how Zschusschen will be.  He could do some damage or he could be Ali Dia-esque.  

Overall, we are relying on a few players (Mckay, Mulreany) stepping their performances up to levels they haven't played at before, some experienced players continuing to perform as well as they have done in the past and not showing, or arresting, signs of slipping (Warren, Draper, Vigurs) and rolling the dice on some signings who no-one knows if they'll be any good or not (Seedorf, Calder, Zschusschen etc).  It's not impossible but it's also not very likely.

12 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

McManus & Clark - 21
McDonald & Keatings - 14
Loy & Austin - 14 

You do realize Loy and McDonald played at a higher level last season? That Elgin striker scored 20 odd goals last season so he must be better than Clark! :lol: idiot!

Just now, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

You do realize Loy and McDonald played at a higher level last season? That Elgin striker scored 20 odd goals last season so he must be better than Clark! :lol: idiot!

Gavin Reilly played 28 games and scored 5 in the Premiership the season before joining us. Rory Loy managed an almost as impressive three Premiership goals lst season. A true marker of Championship greatness right enough. 

Well firstly claiming Tam Scobbie wouldn't get into the Falkirk team. Then saying Loy & Austin are better than McDonald & Keatings. Also saying diving c**t & Harris are better than King and McMullan...

"diving c**t" is twice the player McMullan is

Archived