The Celtic All Seasons thread

19 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

Same.

As much as it's unusual for OF managers in particular, he does come across as a "guid c*n't", to give him both his Scottish and Aussie standard designation. emoji846.png

I've no dog in the OF fight but I like Postecoglu and the way his team is playing. Thought Celtic were superb in the first half last night and the pace they played at was incredible.

I owe you an apology as it seems you were right after all. There is always a post or indeed a couple.

On 12/06/2021 at 19:18, Mr. Alli said:

We know very little of him because he's never managed above the Scottish Championship level before. Why have big clubs never taken a chance on Ange and his "amazing football mind"? 

On 13/06/2021 at 11:09, Jinky67 said:

So the World Cup is Scottish Championship level? J-League also?

667D3628-0856-45F6-963E-4263E2D2772B.gif

On 13/06/2021 at 11:39, Mr. Alli said:

Absolutely, have you ever watched it? It's a fucking stinking level. :lol:

I think the whole debate around not being able to play in front of fans is relatively overstated. I'm not saying fans don't play a part, but I don't believe it carries as much weight as people think.

If we break it down to it's basic argument, which is Rangers players can't perform in front of fans. That would lead us to believe that every single player we have brought in over the last X amount of years fall under the same personality type. Even if we go back to since Gerrard came in, you're probably looking at ~50 transfers and we are to believe that all of them suffer from the same issue?

If you then add in that the majority of that time, we've had an inferior squad in comparison to Celtic, so it would only be natural that they would win more head-to-head contests. But, in saying that, our record in these matches with crowds there is hardly damning. Since Gerrard came in until present, we have played Celtic 9 times with fans in attendance, winning 4 and losing 5. One of those losses being the league cup final where I don't think anyone could accuse Rangers of not performing that day, we battered Celtic and but for the heroics of Forster we should've won.

Additionally, our European form over that whole period has been pretty amazing. The majority of which has been played in front of fans, with some fantastic results in huge matches.

The only thing I would say that could go in this arguments favour, is our record in cup competitions which hasn't been good enough. But then again, that exact same issue plagued us last season when no fans were present, so I don't believe it is much to do with fans.

This, of course, is simply my opinion, but I think this argument is born more out of people comparing last seasons Rangers, which was the first time we really had a title winning capable squad, to Rangers of previous years. Add in the fact that last night was only our 2nd defeat of the league campaign, again, I think this issue is being overstated.

Edited by AJF

7 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

The seething cesspit of hatred, bile & paranoia that is the Green Brigade won't tolerate that kind of attitude for long. 

I wasn’t aware that the word ‘mate’ had such imperialistic connotations. Oh wait sorry you are just batshit crazy and ranting about something totally unrelated because you are seething after last night.

Edited by gannonball

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Have to say ange is an annoyingly likeable manager. Can’t think of many OF managers that haven’t boiled my piss. 

Ignoring how he has transferred the team my favourite thing about him is that he doesn’t really try and deflect with Refs  etc that Lennon used to do constantly and when often it was our own misgivings that cost us games. He just concentrates on ourselves. So refreshing to see having been used to having Lennon for a large part of the last decade. Also the way he handles the media is amusing and now keeps them all in toe at conferences.

Edited by gannonball

I think the whole debate around not being able to play in front of fans is relatively overstated. I'm not saying fans don't play a part, but I don't believe it carries as much weight as people think.
If we break it down to it's basic argument, which is Rangers players can't perform in front of fans. That would lead us to believe that every single player we have brought in over the last X amount of years fall under the same personality type. Even if we go back to since Gerrard came in, you're probably looking at ~50 transfers and we are to believe that all of them suffer from the same issue?
If you then add in that the majority of that time, we've had an inferior squad in comparison to Celtic, so it would only be natural that they would win more head-to-head contests. But, in saying that, our record in these matches with crowds there is hardly damning. Since Gerrard came in until present, we have played Celtic 9 times with fans in attendance, winning 4 and losing 5. One of those losses being the league cup final where I don't think anyone could accuse Rangers of not performing that day, we battered Celtic and but for the heroics of Forster we should've won.
Additionally, our European form over that whole period has been pretty amazing. The majority of which has been played in front of fans, with some fantastic results in huge matches.
The only thing I would say that could go in this arguments favour, is our record in cup competitions which hasn't been good enough. But then again, that exact same issue plagued us last season when no fans were present, so I don't believe it is much to do with fans.
This, of course, is simply my opinion, but I think this argument is born more out of people comparing last seasons Rangers, which was the first time we really had a title winning capable squad, to Rangers of previous years. Add in the fact that last night was only our 2nd defeat of the league campaign, again, I think this issue is being overstated.
Personally, I'm not talking about just Celtic games. My view is across all games I've watched Rangers the last 3 and a bit years.

And also I don't think anyone is suggesting it's "all" Rangers players, that would certainly be absurd.

But I do think it's an issue with some of your key players and that's where your problems lie.

For example:

Morelos, Jack, Arfield, Helander, McGregor, McLauchlin, Hagi don't seem to be affected by the pressure of fans to me, their levels are much the same before, during and after. They've got a bit about them, basically.

Kent, Tavernier, Barasic, Goldson, Wright, Kamara all seem to struggle with the expectation/negative feedback. They were all at a level prior to Covid similar to that which they are now, but during Covid, with no pressure from the stands so can approach like a training session, they looked different players entirely.

Aribo and Bassey are examples of players who have improved, last night's poor performed excluded, over the period.

Given that list includes 3 of your first choice back 4, one of your key midfielders and your key attacking outlet of last year it's having an impact, IMO.

To break it down to it's base level, I just think they lack a bit of mental strength. They're a bit weak on that front, despite being talented footballers.

16 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

Personally, I'm not talking about just Celtic games. My view is across all games I've watched Rangers the last 3 and a bit years.

And also I don't think anyone is suggesting it's "all" Rangers players, that would certainly be absurd.

But I do think it's an issue with some of your key players and that's where your problems lie.

For example:

Morelos, Jack, Arfield, Helander, McGregor, McLauchlin, Hagi don't seem to be affected by the pressure of fans to me, their levels are much the same before, during and after. They've got a bit about them, basically.

Kent, Tavernier, Barasic, Goldson, Wright, Kamara all seem to struggle with the expectation/negative feedback. They were all at a level prior to Covid similar to that which they are now, but during Covid, with no pressure from the stands so can approach like a training session, they looked different players entirely.

Aribo and Bassey are examples of players who have improved, last night's poor performed excluded, over the period.

Given that list includes 3 of your first choice back 4, one of your key midfielders and your key attacking outlet of last year it's having an impact, IMO.

To break it down to it's base level, I just think they lack a bit of mental strength. They're a bit weak on that front, despite being talented footballers.

Agree with most your points but Morelos is one who struggles with pressure, it took him an age to score against us and you could tell it was affecting him by some of his spectacular misses. Add in the sendings off high profile games like us and Aberdeen etc he isn’t one you would bank on for me.

Edited by gannonball

15 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

For example:

I think that's fair, to say some may lack mental strength. Which then I would say is probably more to do with the fact we've had one successful season and just haven't really consolidated a confidence and swagger about them just yet. I would assume the more competitions they win, the more that side of their game will improve, which I think is more the issue than having fans in a stadium.

That was like Celtic over the years. Their consistent success bred that mentality that could see them over the line more often than not.

It is all opinions, at the end of the day. There is no real way to measure it. Additionally, I also think Kent would be dropped into that category quite harshly. He never lacks confidence and while his performance last night was poor, I'd say he is one of the few "big game" players that we have.

Edited by AJF

2 hours ago, AJF said:

I think that's fair, to say some may lack mental strength. Which then I would say is probably more to do with the fact we've had one successful season and just haven't really consolidated a confidence and swagger about them just yet. I would assume the more competitions they win, the more that side of their game will improve, which I think is more the issue than having fans in a stadium.

That was like Celtic over the years. Their consistent success bred that mentality that could see them over the line more often than not.

It is all opinions, at the end of the day. There is no real way to measure it. Additionally, I also think Kent would be dropped into that category quite harshly. He never lacks confidence and while his performance last night was poor, I'd say he is one of the few "big game" players that we have.

Kent has completely disappeared imo. Is he really a big game player? last season yeah but he has dropped off massive with only 2 goals and less than half a dozen assists this season? Compare that to Abada or Jota who are both way ahead of him in terms of goal contributions. 

Even Hatate has scored more in 3 games than Kent has all season. 

For the valuation of Kent i'd want more.....much more.

4 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Kent has completely disappeared imo. Is he really a big game player? last season yeah but he has dropped off massive with only 2 goals and less than half a dozen assists this season? Compare that to Abada or Jota who are both way ahead of him in terms of goal contributions. 

Even Hatate has scored more in 3 games than Kent has all season. 

For the valuation of Kent i'd want more.....much more.

I think he is. Like others, he hasn't hit the heights of last season but since he came to Rangers he has been more than capable of producing big moments in big matches. Celtic themselves know all about his quality, being on the receiving end of it a few times.

In terms of the comparisons, I think that's fair. Kent has never been a prolific goal scorer, but I would also argue that's not his main job, certainly in this GVB side.

In terms of minutes played, goals and assists it looks like this:

Kent: 1,790 mins, 2 goals, 8 assists

Jota: 1,766 mins, 8 goals, 8 assists

Abada: 2,547 mins, 13 goals, 9 assists

So in terms of creativity he is not exactly lagging behind, it's more his goal scoring that is inferior. So while I agree that this season he has dropped off, I don't think that is enough to warrant the criticism that he belongs to a group of players that lack mental strength or get impacted by fans.

As I said before, he never hides and never stops attempting to do what he is good at, even if that doesn't always pay off, like last night. He was up against Juranovic who had an excellent match, but Kent kept on taking the ball and trying to take players on. He doesn't shirk away like some others do at times.

5 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Kris Boyd this season so far 

Abuse Leigh Griffiths because he waved an Ireland flag at Ibrox 

“Test” McGregor’s broken cheek bone 

Surely it's not for this...

"As a Rangers supporter, I must admit it was a hard watch, but one thing I did enjoy about was hearing McGregor refer to the derby as the Old Firm.
I thought that term had been banned by everyone at Celtic Park. I just hope Cal didn’t end up with rapped knuckles to go with his fractured cheekbone

3 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Kris Boyd this season so far 

Abuse Leigh Griffiths because he waved an Ireland flag at Ibrox 

“Test” McGregor’s broken cheek bone 

Good to hear, Especially after moaning about moaning Celtic scoring seconds after a head knock I don’t mind pundits showing their colours but he’s on another level of bias that he’s far too thick to notice himself.

Let’s be honest it’s within the interest of Scottish football if he gets binned, he does nothing to promote our game and just moans constantly. I have no idea how he has lasted as long as he has tbh, he struggles to put sentences together and it’s painful to watch or listen to.