The Celtic All Seasons thread

6 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Well I am in part agreement:  Broon has had a terrific career and deserves all the honours he has.

BUT it's a piece of nonsense to suggest that, "players play the game to win trophies and honours" since the overwhelming majority of them do not win major honours.

8CCA530B-E6ED-4423-BB7A-0A4CCECA0A41.jpeg

Edited by Drew Brees

6 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Well I am in part agreement:  Broon has had a terrific career and deserves all the honours he has.

BUT it's a piece of nonsense to suggest that, "players play the game to win trophies and honours" since the overwhelming majority of them do not win major honours.

Welcome back. Hope you’ve been ok.

He made his mark at international level

In what way? He captained an international squad that under achieved for the whole time he played and didn't qualify for f**k all until he was dropped. How is that making a mark at international level?

1 minute ago, Empty It said:

In what way? He captained an international squad that under achieved for the whole time he played and didn't qualify for f**k all until he was dropped. How is that making a mark at international level?

If he hadn’t he would have had so many caps and wouldn’t have been asked to come out of retirement. This is frankly getting boring now and just reeks of bitterness towards a guy who has had some career.

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Paul McStay.

Clearly superior to either of these two, yet never felt the need to play in a "top 5 league" (🤮)

Where does he rate ?

He had potential tbf.

8 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

f**k me the amount of people beside themselves them trying to belittle Browns achievements is hilarious.

Like it or not history remembers accomplishments and Brown has significantly more of them and has a piece of history unlikely to be repeated by any other captain of a Scottish side.

Davis may have played in the premier league but won f**k all in doing so and again players play the game to win trophies and honours so I’m pretty sure there is only one thing Davis has that Brown should be envious of and that’s this years League trophy. 

And Davis is a really good player, he has had a significant impact on Rangers revival and arguably the best signing Gerrard made but I am pretty confident Scott Brown will retire quite content and will give zero fucks about Davis 

Nobody is belittling Scott Brown's achievements - they're questioning his ability as a footballer in comparison to another.

The initial point I made about Brown was pointing out the hilarity of him running to the press cos someone was nasty to the poor guy. The rest of this is just an added bonus tbf.

10 minutes ago, AJF said:

Nobody is belittling Scott Brown's achievements - they're questioning his ability as a footballer in comparison to another.

The initial point I made about Brown was pointing out the hilarity of him running to the press cos someone was nasty to the poor guy. The rest of this is just an added bonus tbf.

Haven’t seen that direct quote from Scott Brown tbf.

Seems to be more of a case of Rangers fans wanting that to be the case so they can claim they have “broken” him. 

And his ability as a footballer shouldn’t really be a question. Brendan Rodgers is quoted as saying he could easily have played at the top in the EPL and I’m more inclined to trust the opinion of someone who clearly knows what he is talking about than the opinions of those whose only real intent is to tear him down.

7 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Seems to be more of a case of Rangers fans wanting that to be the case so they can claim they have “broken” him. 

And his ability as a footballer shouldn’t really be a question. Brendan Rodgers is quoted as saying he could easily have played at the top in the EPL and I’m more inclined to trust the opinion of someone who clearly knows what he is talking about than the opinions of those whose only real intent is to tear him down.

To play Devil's advocate for a second, Brendan Rodgers transformed Scott Brown from an above average player into the wee pivot in that Celtic midfield that made everything else work. There were times playing in Rodgers midfield that he was exceptional.  Since he's left, he's regressed and played up to his "hard man" image.

Anyway, he's a w**k.

3 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

It's hardly going to be something fed to the press from someone with a Rangers persuasion given the article was criticising our club for it.

Also, it's completely fine to question his ability as a footballer - it happens with every footballer and nobody is exempt. Soundbites from his former manager is not evidence that Brown could've played at the top in the EPL, if that were the case, he'd have got offers to play there but he didn't. Comparing him to the likes of N'golo Kante casts doubt on whether Rodgers was entirely serious and maybe suggests he was just being kind to one of his players.

18 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Brendan also said he was here for 10 in a row 

welcome to the real world jinky 

8A559D56-7C01-45E6-A4A1-CA33B07D1C9C.jpeg

So Celtic fans are trying to dismiss Scott Brown leaking that he felt bullied because “you can’t trust what you read in the press”, but are simultaneously using press quotes from Brendan Rodgers, the most famous bullshitter in British football, as proof that Brown could have played for a top-six EPL club?

Just now, Empty It said:

Why didn't he then? You're not suggesting he never played at the top level in the most lucrative league in the world because he's a loyal bhoy?

Why not? He was captain of a side making history in Scotland and had the opportunity to be the first captain to win 10 titles in a row. Maybe that motivated him more than money, maybe his family didn’t want to relocate down south. Not a question I can answer 

Paul McStay was head and shoulders above Brown ability wise yet never pursued a career anywhere else despite being no where near as successful. 

5 minutes ago, G51 said:

So Celtic fans are trying to dismiss Scott Brown leaking that he felt bullied because “you can’t trust what you read in the press”, but are simultaneously using press quotes from Brendan Rodgers, the most famous bullshitter in British football, as proof that Brown could have played for a top-six EPL club?

I have doubts whether he would have made it that far myself tbh. But Do I believe one of the top coaches in Britain to be a good measure a players ability over some irrelevant wet wipe for the Daily Record random claims? You actually want an answer for this?  

Edited by gannonball

7 minutes ago, G51 said:

Not Celtic fans just me

And suggesting the leak didn’t come from Brown and not trusting what is read in the press are far from the same thing tbh

I believe the story, I just don’t believe it was leaked by Brown which should be a simple enough concept to grasp or am I giving you too much credit here?

Edited by Jinky67

6 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I have doubts whether he would have made it that far myself tbh. But Do I believe one of the top coaches in Britain to be a good measure a players ability over some irrelevant wet wipe for the Daily Record random claims? You actually want an answer for this?  

What will it take for Celtic fans to learn that every time Rodgers opens his mouth in the press, he's bullshitting?

The funniest recent example of this was when he gave the Sunday Times this anecdote that they published in their profile of him last weekend:

4 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Not Celtic fans just me

And suggesting the leak didn’t come from Brown and not trusting what is read in the press are far from the same thing tbh

I believe the story, I just don’t believe it was leaked by Brown which should be a simple enough concept to grasp or am I giving you too much credit here?

Nah, you're not giving me too much credit. I'm capable of observing when someone is trying to bluff to save themselves having to acknowledge that their captain is a little bitch.

12 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Why not? He was captain of a side making history in Scotland and had the opportunity to be the first captain to win 10 titles in a row. Maybe that motivated him more than money, maybe his family didn’t want to relocate down south. Not a question I can answer 

Paul McStay was head and shoulders above Brown ability wise yet never pursued a career anywhere else despite being no where near as successful. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with players staying at a club for a prolonged period. Fans love loyalty but I think it comes back to the point I made earlier: Brown was comfortable at Celtic and, forgive me for using a tired cliché, he's been a big fish in a small pond. He never managed to take that next step out of his comfort zone to challenge himself or take his game to the next level.