The Celtic All Seasons thread

1 hour ago, Drew Brees said:

Is that right. I put it to a well loved, respected and admired Celtic forum this morning 😊. There’s plenty of replies mainly saying Frimpong was a winger playing as a defender and could run up and down the wing really fast, some even saying they preferred juranovic to Frimpong. As I’ve said I preferred AJ as he’s a solid defender and can cross the ball, whether he goes on from here only time will tell. A pie chart doesn’t tell the full story. 
FTR my work mates picked AJ to a man. 

IMG_5655.jpeg

I suspect a lot of this will be recency bias. If you were to go back and look at the opinions of Frimpong when he was in the Celtic side they’d be very similarly positive to the view on Johnstone we see now. Nobody likes to admit that their current right back isn’t as good as a previous one which will also influence the result.

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

I suspect a lot of this will be recency bias. If you were to go back and look at the opinions of Frimpong when he was in the Celtic side they’d be very similarly positive to the view on Johnstone we see now. Nobody likes to admit that their current right back isn’t as good as a previous one which will also influence the result.

Will be an element of that but every Celtic fan on here so far, everyone in my work (about 4) and just under 90% on the fans forum is a lot for just going with ‘better the devil you know’. My recollection of Frimpong was he was too small and slight for our game and as some have said was like a winger stuck at RB. 

2 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Will be an element of that but every Celtic fan on here so far, everyone in my work (about 4) and just under 90% on the fans forum is a lot for just going with ‘better the devil you know’. My recollection of Frimpong was he was too small and slight for our game and as some have said was like a winger stuck at RB. 

Yeah if we are wanting to do anything in Europe we need to be more solid in Defence and I think Johnston helps that. He's clearly not as good as an attacking option as Frimpong or Juranovic but he is better defensively than the two and more consistent imo from what I have seen so far domestically. Will be interesting to see him at European level though.

3 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

New 5 yr deal for mcgregor 

Terrible news, for everybody except Celtic fans. 

I think Mcgregor has got better and better every season. 

Fantastic for Scotland but a bit annoying for me and my fellow Rangers fans. 😂

5 minutes ago, Renfrewblue said:

I think Mcgregor has got better and better every season. 

😂

This. When McGregor broke through I think many, myself included, saw him as a future squad player. He has turned in to a complete player though and even Brown leaving has kicked on his leadership and defensive nous imo. He is an absolute Colossus for us. 

4 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

They are also playing very different roles albeit from the same position. Frimpong was your orthodox wing back where AJ is playing that inverted role where he pretty much becomes another central midfielder.

I don’t think Frimpong could play that role half as well as AJ does and it would take away from what is his biggest asset. AJ will probably be asked to play that more orthodox way in Rodgers system so we will soon see how he fits that role 

58 minutes ago, willywastecoat said:

What the feck is this pish?

Thanks for highlighting youve got a new username, can add it to the blocked list.

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Thanks for highlighting youve got a new username, can add it to the blocked list.

It's an open forum you diddy the idea of blocking someone is childish and petty M8.
Be a man and explain our post?

Edited by willywastecoat

1 minute ago, willywastecoat said:

That would be down to your lack of understanding not mine M8.
Give me an example?

I'd rather not converse with you. I'm sure numerous others are the same that's why nobody really pointed it out before.

Have a nice day.

1 hour ago, willywastecoat said:

It's an open forum you diddy the idea of blocking someone is childish and petty M8.
Be a man and explain our post?

16 hours ago, willywastecoat said:

What the feck is this pish?

You could have just said you don't understand how these charts work and asked him nicely rather than lashing out, twice.

7 minutes ago, gannonball said:

You could have just said you don't understand how these charts work and asked him nicely rather than lashing out, twice.

If you think the analytics of the chart are important then you know nothing about the game M8,If you think I was too harsh on him that's fine M8 I don't suffer fools gladly.

@gannonball Just to clarify M8,the debate wasn't to compare AJ and Frimpong even thou every Celtic fan on here knows AJ is a better defender.
If Frimpong has improved as a player then put up a chart of his time at Celtic and his time at Leverkusen so it can be analysed to see where he has improved yet that still wouldn't tell the whole story.
Puting a chart up of AJ at his start of his career at Celtic is harsh given he just came off the world cup and played just a handful of games,given the circumstances for me there is alot more to come from him this season coming.

14 minutes ago, willywastecoat said:

@gannonball Just to clarify M8,the debate wasn't to compare AJ and Frimpong even thou every Celtic fan on here knows AJ is a better defender.
If Frimpong has improved as a player then put up a chart of his time at Celtic and his time at Leverkusen so it can be analysed to see where he has improved yet that still wouldn't tell the whole story.

I know next to f**k all about these graphs but @RandomGuy.might be able to confirm It wouldn't really work since Frimpong is being compared against peers in a far higher league. He's clearly improved as a player though otherwise he wouldn't have so much interest in him and tbh he even looked like he had improved when we played them at the start of Anges tenure.

2 hours ago, willywastecoat said:

If you think the analytics of the chart are important then you know nothing about the game M8,If you think I was too harsh on him that's fine M8 I don't suffer fools gladly.

Celtic will clearly use analytics to source players 🤣