The Celtic All Seasons thread

19 hours ago, ahemps said:

Why aren't Celtic just buying him then if you are paying almost half of it to loan him for 1 year?

Try before you buy. As you said if we do buy next season it will cost an extra 50%. Also would we pay him £25,000 a week? Footballers it all about the money

Brendan said 

"Celtic "have to put right their recruitment strategy as the manager believes transfers take "a lot longer" than he would like."

"There are a number of things I won’t go into here, but it’s definitely something, having come back in and gone through three windows now, we have to put right as a football club," 

He knows or transfer strategy is too slow and we know its too slow, time those responsible for the strategy to realise it's too slow. 

Do you think now that clubs know we got £25+mill for MOR they will increase the asking price for players? I think if we bought them before this transfer they would have cheaper. The obvious reply would be what if we did not sell MOR? With offers on the table of over £20mill we were always going to sell him

Sky news:

Celtic have made a formal bid for Los Angeles FC attacking midfielder Mateusz Bogusz.

on Monday that Celtic have also made a £6.5m for Augsburg's Arne Engels. 

That's the 2 that have been rumoured for a while now to replace MOR

Celtic centre-back Gustaf Lagerbielke has arrived in the Netherlands to undergo a medical and finalise a move to FC Twente. It is understood the clubs have agreed a season-long loan for the Sweden international. 

Hope there is a compulsory buy clause in there somewhere. If not it will just be his wages off the book

8 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

And what have we done since establishing that dominance other than get richer? 

It's taken a while, but I'm glad that Celtic fans have finally accepted that their entire existence for the past however many years has been pointless. 

14 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

It's taken a while, but I'm glad that Celtic fans have finally accepted that their entire existence for the past however many years has been pointless. 

For most of the rest of us, there's merit as a fan in wanting your club to be in the "well run" bracket. It's a point of pride because it tends to be about safeguarding the continuing existence of your club. Ends up being a bit of a point of pride between Diddy clubs. 

For Celtic though, their fans have pretty well been gaslighted into thinking its the same thing for them and they're really chuffed that their transfer model allows the money men to literally syphon buckets of cash out of the football operation while they stand still year after year. Total minter. 

Left back situation:

It won't be Beck

Blackburn Rovers have agreed a loan deal for Liverpool left-back Owen Beck. The 22-year-old was attracting a lot of interest this summer, with QPR and Celtic also making enquiries.

There may be some truth in the Valle £1.3mill loan

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

Person clicks on a thread of a team, in a  league that they don't even play in to claim their existence is pointless. 

Edited by gannonball

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

For most of the rest of us, there's merit as a fan in wanting your club to be in the "well run" bracket. It's a point of pride because it tends to be about safeguarding the continuing existence of your club. Ends up being a bit of a point of pride between Diddy clubs. 

For Celtic though, their fans have pretty well been gaslighted into thinking its the same thing for them and they're really chuffed that their transfer model allows the money men to literally syphon buckets of cash out of the football operation while they stand still year after year. Total minter. 

I don’t think any of the Celtic fans on this forum fall into that bracket.

The company side of things is one of the best ran in Britain, but as you said, our football operation is bled dry. 

I might catch flak for this but Brighton, whilst a smaller club, operate our trading model at a higher level.

We continue to buy in the 1-8M market to sell on for 20M.

They’ll buy this 20M player and sell him for 80+M, whilst we never make any attempt to move further up the trading ladder.

But surely there is the limiting factor that 20M guys are not willing to come to Scotland in the first place?

And Brighton, while clearly a much smaller club, know that there is a disgustingly big bag of loot coming their way from the EFA every year which will pay for all these ludicrous purchases.

11 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

But surely there is the limiting factor that 20M guys are not willing to come to Scotland in the first place?

And Brighton, while clearly a much smaller club, know that there is a disgustingly big bag of loot coming their way from the EFA every year which will pay for all these ludicrous purchases.

We probably could attract them if we’d be willing to break our wage structure.

Edited by stressball

It could be that the Celtic 'money men' are being realistic and Celtic fans delusional. Unless Celtic can somehow get into the EPL there is no reason to spend 20 million on individual players to run rings around St Johnstone & St Mirren. They win the league whatever and the quality of player they need to challenge at Champions league level has no interest in playing Motherwell and Dundee four times a season. So they are stuck in the endless cycle of keeping just that little bit ahead of Rangers to maintain the fiction of competition. And, TBF, they do it very very well.

Celtic make bid of around £5m for Sheff Utd defender Trusty
Latest from Sky Sports News' Anthony Joseph and Tim Thornton:

Celtic have made a bid worth around £5m for Sheffield United centre-back Auston Trusty.

The Hoops are on the hunt for a centre-back before Friday’s transfer deadline, after fringe players Yuki Kobayashi and Gustaf Lagerbielke left for Portimonense and FC Twente, respectively.

Trusty, 26, joined the Blades from Arsenal for £5m last summer.

The USA international can play centre-back and left-back. This could be a major factor why the bid has been made

8 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

It could be that the Celtic 'money men' are being realistic and Celtic fans delusional. Unless Celtic can somehow get into the EPL there is no reason to spend 20 million on individual players to run rings around St Johnstone & St Mirren. They win the league whatever and the quality of player they need to challenge at Champions league level has no interest in playing Motherwell and Dundee four times a season. So they are stuck in the endless cycle of keeping just that little bit ahead of Rangers to maintain the fiction of competition. And, TBF, they do it very very well.

I don't think anyone is saying we should be spending 20 million on a player. 

Im repeating myself here but We've had one left back since March, who's out of contract next year. We had one striker at the start of the season who needs an op. We now currently have 3 fit centre backs ahead a champions league campaign, one who is clearly nowhere near that level. If we were struggling financially it would be understandable but to keep coining it and ignore the basics of having a balanced squad is what grates me and I assume many others.

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Most likely because we have a very rigid wage structure that we won’t deviate from and yes there is merit to say that structure has kept us healthy but we should now be in a place where if we want to move up a level, the level of fee and the level of salary has to move to.

i don’t see us regularly doing 20 million pound transfers in however we could stretch what we currently do to bring in some players in that 10-15 million bracket whilst continuing to do what we have been with young players, developing and selling for big profit.

Edited by Jinky67

In St Brendan's two spells at the club he has never bought a player at a low price and sold him at a higher price this is no coincidence under his watch.
He is also limited to the English leagues,the sacking of the recruitment team at Celtic has left him in charge,
He has also sold the best youth players coming through at the club plus not giving them a chance sweeping the carpet from underneath the clubs feet.
The signing policy was there before St Brendan came in and will still be there when he leaves yet during his time at the club in both occations the club have regress,Celtic need a good transfer window now.

Edited by willywastecoat

19 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Most modern managers don’t get a huge amount of say in negotiations over transfers, they mainly identify the type of player they need and recruitment team and the board do the rest. Christ I’ve even heard today we have lowballed Ausburg on Engels.

It’s becoming clearer by the day with his little quips he’s frustrated that the board aren’t bringing in who he wants, when he wants them.

St Brendan is suppose to be an elite Manager yet Neil Lennon has had better results in Europe,Celtic paid £9 million for Eddy and now paid £8.5 million for Idah,where is his 2 or 3 million pound player that goes for 20 million?
Sinclair has been his best signing over two spells at Celtic yet we got nothing for him.
For me St Brendan doesn't fit the model or strategy of the club.

16 minutes ago, willywastecoat said:

St Brendan is suppose to be an elite Manager yet Neil Lennon has had better results in Europe,Celtic paid £9 million for Eddy and now paid £8.5 million for Idah,where is his 2 or 3 million pound player that goes for 20 million?
Sinclair has been his best signing over two spells at Celtic yet we got nothing for him.
For me St Brendan doesn't fit the model or strategy of the club.

We doubled our cash for Eddie even though he didn't have a long left on his contract. This is a very strange example to moan about. Also he got Dembele in for buttons and sold him for very good cash too did he not.

3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

We doubled our cash for Eddie even though he didn't have a long left on his contract. This is a very strange example to moan about. Also he got Dembele in for buttons and sold him for very good cash too did he not.

M8 it's the highest amount Celtic have paid for a player duz it suit the model or strategy?
I've said before Deila sorted out Dembele and Ajer before he was replaced by St Brendan.

18 minutes ago, willywastecoat said:

M8 it's the highest amount Celtic have paid for a player duz it suit the model or strategy?
I've said before Deila sorted out Dembele and Ajer before he was replaced by St Brendan.

As in buying a young player in and selling on for double? Er, I would imagine so, the tonne of goals was hand too tbf. We had an interest in Dembele but I would imagine Rodgers stature got it over the line rather than a guy who was announced as leaving before we actually signed him. Also I doubt the club have a transfer strategy of making 10 times their investment as you were alluding to earlier. It happens but it would be ridiculous to expect it on a semi- regular basis

Edited by gannonball