Work colleagues

9 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I bet there's tonnes of office romances/quickies in the stationary cupboard at that type of work environment

Some 19 year old filing clerk getting caught flinging one up the married head of HR by the cleaner after hours.  Glorious.

Happened at school - our married Computing Studies teacher, Mr Donoghue, was caught au cupboard with the younger, sexier Computing Studies teacher.  For us teenage boys, it made him a proper legend. Probably not so much with his missus. 

I worked as a scaffolding labourer for a few months and would often get hired out to other scaffolding companies when they were short of bodies. 

On one such occasion I joined the crew on their usual Friday liquid lunch, not realising that this meant all alcohol, no food. It was genuinely horrifying going back to site pished and erecting scaffolding from 20m up. No idea why these guys would regularly do that to themselves.  

When I was a PhD student, we went to cities around Europe. The EU were paying for these jaunts to Prague, Copenhagen, Paris and many more. A new city every 6 months. My favourite was Ljubljana. Our group was well known for our drinking. At one conference a professor from Sheffield came over to us and said "it's just water into sawdust with you guys, isn't it?". 

But away from the conference/drink/dinner/drink jaunts around Europe we often worked at a big lab in Grenoble, France. The ESRF, where we carried out our SAXS/WAXS and XRF experiments. We operated this multi-million pound machine regularly whilst half cut. And my boss heard a rumour, late one night, that a beamline near us had a magnum of champagne in it's mini fridge. Along we went and sure enough it was locked with a keypad. My boss - a smart guy, as Trump would say - looked at which numbers were worn and which weren't. After a few tried the door clicked open and we had our magnum. 

He felt bad and replaced it with an apology the next morning. Our own beamline was an utter disgrace, wine and beer bottles everywhere, crisp packets, bins overflowing. Happy days.

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

When I was a PhD student, we went to cities around Europe. The EU were paying for these jaunts to Prague, Copenhagen, Paris and many more. A new city every 6 months. My favourite was Ljubljana. Our group was well known for our drinking. At one conference a professor from Sheffield came over to us and said "it's just water into sawdust with you guys, isn't it?". 

Ci2lHxLWkAEi7dn.jpeg

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

I bet there's tonnes of office romances/quickies in the stationary cupboard at that type of work environment

Some 19 year old filing clerk getting caught flinging one up the married head of HR by the cleaner after hours.  Glorious.

Aye there was also a bit of that. The girl I mentioned from previous posts used to send me screenshots of messages she got from guys in the work place. Absolutely horrendous / cringeworthy stuff I don't even want to repeat. 

1 hour ago, V.Aye.R said:

Aye, giving zero fvcks probably wouldn't have helped him emoji23.png

Its a grey area nowadays. Canny see many folk going for a pint at lunchtime these days, saying that from an office workers perspective.

Technically 1 pint is probably borderline depending on who uptight bosses are.

For me it was a personal two pint limit at lunch. I worked down in London at various times and it was even worse, people tanning 6 pints at lunch and heading back to the office. If I had 6 pints in a little over an hour I'd defo have a noticeable buzz on and probably verging on feeling like shite come 5pm. 

Some bosses are absolutely sound with it, worked at another company, the boss would come out and sink 2 or 3 with the rest of us like it was no big deal. Seemed like he could handle a drink though and he was, to be fair, one of the best bosses I've ever had. 

8 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

But away from the conference/drink/dinner/drink jaunts around Europe we often worked at a big lab in Grenoble, France. The ESRF, where we carried out our SAXS/WAXS and XRF experiments. We operated this multi-million pound machine regularly whilst half cut. And my boss heard a rumour, late one night, that a beamline near us had a magnum of champagne in it's mini fridge. Along we went and sure enough it was locked with a keypad. My boss - a smart guy, as Trump would say - looked at which numbers were worn and which weren't. After a few tried the door clicked open and we had our magnum. 

He felt bad and replaced it with an apology the next morning. Our own beamline was an utter disgrace, wine and beer bottles everywhere, crisp packets, bins overflowing. Happy days.

So you had SAXS and WAXS. Were there no CRAXS experiments?

And my boss heard a rumour, late one night, that a beamline near us had a magnum of champagne in it's mini fridge. Along we went and sure enough it was locked with a keypad. My boss - a smart guy, as Trump would say - looked at which numbers were worn and which weren't. After a few tried the door clicked open and we had our magnum. 
He felt bad and replaced it with an apology the next morning.

Screenshot_20210823_114659.jpg

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Happened at school - our married Computing Studies teacher, Mr Donoghue, was caught au cupboard with the younger, sexier Computing Studies teacher.  For us teenage boys, it made him a proper legend. Probably not so much with his missus. 

The (married) head of the English dept at my school had to leave on account of pumping one of the other English teachers and a couple of 6th year girls. Not all at the same time, I'm afraid. 

3 hours ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

I'd imagine 9hrs a day, sat in front of  a computer in the same room, day in day out, week after week after week that even Nigel from accounts would seem like a thrilling escape from reality. 

f**k being an office drone, it sounds utterly soul crushing.

I don't understand why people think sitting behind a computer in an office is any more soul crushing than stacking shelves at Asda or some other boring, menial task. The majority of jobs involve you going to the same place every day, meeting the same people and doing the same task. How many jobs give you a change of scenery every day, a new task to do that you've not done before and new people to meet who aren't just your usual boring c***s that you meet in every day life? 

I don't like my office job but I'm under no illusion that I'd feel the same in about 90% of the jobs I could go for. 

31 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I don't understand why people think sitting behind a computer in an office is any more soul crushing than stacking shelves at Asda or some other boring, menial task. The majority of jobs involve you going to the same place every day, meeting the same people and doing the same task. How many jobs give you a change of scenery every day, a new task to do that you've not done before and new people to meet who aren't just your usual boring c***s that you meet in every day life? 

I don't like my office job but I'm under no illusion that I'd feel the same in about 90% of the jobs I could go for. 

I had a job in the summer of 1999 as a door to door salesman, selling gas and electricity contracts on behalf of Scottish power. We'd hit a new town every week, meet lots of new and interesting people. And it was the worst job I ever had. 

Plus, the old hands who were training me were full of stories that ended up with them chapping on the door of a lonely housewife, pumping her, getting a home cooked meal (in one case being given a suitcase of her husband's shirts) and moving on to the next. That never happened with me. 

Spoiler

1616153820MHA_1.jpg

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I don't understand why people think sitting behind a computer in an office is any more soul crushing than stacking shelves at Asda or some other boring, menial task.

Probably cause its sat at a computer screen for 9 hours a fucking day I'd imagine. Rather mop floors or flip burgers than that shite tbh.

Edited by HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows

4 minutes ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Probably cause its sat at a computer screen for 9 hours a fucking day I'd imagine. Rather mop floors or flip burgers than that shite tbh.

What is it about sitting at a computer that you find completely hellish?

Burger flippers are sat in front of the same cooker every day, cleaners are mopping the same floors every day. I just don't understand why office work is seen as the most soul destroying job you could get by many. It's a job like many others with advantages and disadvantages. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Burger flippers are sat in front of the same cooker every day, cleaners are mopping the same floors every day. I just don't understand why office work is seen as the most soul destroying job you could get by many. It's a job like many others with advantages and disadvantages. 

Probably cause with those jobs you can at least move around a bit, not sat stationary at a desk for most of the day. That, combined with some of the utterly desperate, rank patter laid out in this thread and I think I'd want to kill myself within a week.

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Depends on what you are doing, I find. Some tedious, repetitive task can really tire you out. If your work is varied and interesting, all the better. 

5 hours ago, TheScarf said:

It won't be stationary too long if there's a quickie going on inside it...

7 minutes ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Probably cause with those jobs you can at least move around a bit, not sat stationary at a desk for most of the day. That, combined with some of the utterly desperate, rank patter laid out in this thread and I think I'd want to kill myself within a week.

Office workers aren't chained to their seat and are encouraged to have regular breaks from staring at the screen. Patter isn't office specific, I'd far rather sit in here and listen to some slightly pish/boring patter than some of the all out bigotry/racism you get from folk on the tools (in my experience). I can imagine working in a call centre where you can only leave your seat for a pish being particularly soul destroying but general office work isn't that bad (again, in my experience). 

2 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

If you don't need to interact with anyone else for the whole day it can be pretty soul destroying.

A fair point, as above I can see call centres being shite and if you don't have any interaction that could be bad for you. Every chance a cleaner doesn't have any interaction at work too though, it's not really a specific problem with office work. 

When I was a PhD student (seem to have started a few posts like this today) I spent a lot of time computer programming. Anyone who has done this knows that after a while it can be hard to look at the screen. Come 2ish in the afternoon it just became impossible to see it properly. do, enddo, if, endif, and, or...all of these things bled into one. 

There was a 9 hole pitch and putt course nearby, and a mate of mine and I would go there for an hour. Come back, having been away from the screen, and it was fine. I could go for a few more hours.