Work colleagues

2 minutes ago, weirdcal said:

Mine has the sole cable charges the laptop as well as transmits the data for the screens to the dock. 

Hp elitebook and hp dock - usb c cable only

Same.  When I'm in the office anyway.  Power cable at home.  

Just now, itzdrk said:

20 years ago it was nothing like as sophisticated as that - basically there was a scart-type connection and you just pushed the laptop into the station making sure the male and female scarts were lined up and voila.  To be honest, I don't recall how the power was supplied to the laptop via the station but it was - possibly a 2nd connector pin as I'm not sure a scart was able to provide power.

5 hours ago, itzdrk said:

I have same dock at home and office, it's really just plug and play (well I assume the one in office is still the same, been in once this year) 

My work has a big group chat with hundreds of people on it, so basically everybody based in our office. Needless to say, I avoid having to contribute to it wherever possible. Most of the stuff is useless, and a lot of it is the same people saying the same things ad infinitum.

Yet, for some utterly bizarre reason, some colleagues seem to think it is the ideal forum to communicate with, like, one other person. Quite often a message will come through where someone has '@' another person in the group with a specific, niche IT query or suchlike, which is of absolutely no use or interest to anybody else in the group.

Absolutely baffling that they can't just send them a private message. Ridiculous behaviour. 

Do other work places have people that request hybrid working so they can look after their dogs? Annoys the life out of me that people get pets and then want to work at home to save money. If you can’t afford dog walkers then shouldn’t get a dog IMO 

4 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

My work has a big group chat with hundreds of people on it, so basically everybody based in our office. Needless to say, I avoid having to contribute to it wherever possible. Most of the stuff is useless, and a lot of it is the same people saying the same things ad infinitum.

Yet, for some utterly bizarre reason, some colleagues seem to think it is the ideal forum to communicate with, like, one other person. Quite often a message will come through where someone has '@' another person in the group with a specific, niche IT query or suchlike, which is of absolutely no use or interest to anybody else in the group.

Absolutely baffling that they can't just send them a private message. Ridiculous behaviour. 

Send a photo of your boabie. That will show them

13 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

What a riveting conversation this is.

It's more interesting if you assume they're talking in code.

Can't imagine what "docking" might be a euphemism for.

22 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Do other work places have people that request hybrid working so they can look after their dogs? Annoys the life out of me that people get pets and then want to work at home to save money. If you can’t afford dog walkers then shouldn’t get a dog IMO 

Mad Max Reaction GIF

46 minutes ago, Aufc said:

People that go to work and leave their dog in the house all day are not being fair. If you can work from home and look after your dog then that is fine. More people working from home the less traffic there is. 

4 hours ago, Aufc said:

Yeah at my work having a dog or kid at home is an acceptable reason for hybrid working but wanting a couple of days peace a week from arsehole colleagues is not an acceptable reason.  These people choose to have kids or pets, I can't choose my colleagues. 

We're currently transitioning to fully implementing Teams and SharePoint. This is a massive change away from using shared drives and despite regular training sessions its still confusing some. One muppet has just created a meeting called "Annual Leave" and invited 3000 people! They are now on leave and no one can cancel it. The Teams chat is full of people saying "what is this meeting about?", its worse than a don't reply all to a reply all email.

7 hours ago, Swarley said:

We're currently transitioning to fully implementing Teams and SharePoint. This is a massive change away from using shared drives and despite regular training sessions its still confusing some. One muppet has just created a meeting called "Annual Leave" and invited 3000 people! They are now on leave and no one can cancel it. The Teams chat is full of people saying "what is this meeting about?", its worse than a don't reply all to a reply all email.

My work is shutting down the shared drives and moving to Sharepoint too.

Despite me and others pointing out the numerous flaws in this plan, including the near certainty of multiple data breaches on a regular basis, they're going ahead with it. The 'training' for Sharepoint is just links to Microsoft's information on the system.

Will be some laugh when Microsoft announce they're no longer supporting Sharepoint in a few years.

8 hours ago, Swarley said:

We've been in a permanent revolution for about 5 years with every single IT system we use being changed. And every new system is worse than the one that came before. 

Take annual reviews. Used to be a paper form and a meeting. Now it's managed through ERP (shudder). The guidance on how to do this in ERP is 22 pages long. 

52 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

My work is shutting down the shared drives and moving to Sharepoint too.

Despite me and others pointing out the numerous flaws in this plan, including the near certainty of multiple data breaches on a regular basis, they're going ahead with it. The 'training' for Sharepoint is just links to Microsoft's information on the system.

Will be some laugh when Microsoft announce they're no longer supporting Sharepoint in a few years.

Bring a code monkey I use .sql files everyday and of course you can't save these to SharePoint easily and you can't open them directly either. You have to go through a convoluted process of saving to one drive, then transferring to SharePoint and the reverse to open them. It's an utter pain but because they're "non standard" files no one rolling this out really thought about it. 

I work with HR data so I hear you about the possibility/probability of data breaches of sensitive data. 

17 hours ago, Aufc said:

We have one who asked for a full time job at the end of the academic year, was given one (despite having hardly any experience). She has now been given her timetable has said "So I start at 8 and finish at 4 every day. What will I do with my dogs?". 

On 14/09/2023 at 09:43, MEADOWXI said:

Do hybrid working so all have laptops that plug into docking station at desk at home or desk in office.

When I plug into the docking station I also plug the laptop into power at the same time, seems logical.

Every day the same folk about 10.30 / 11.00 that start jumping around as their laptop is suddenly at 12% power and they need to plug it in.

Just do it when you setup. 

An old boss of mine always buzzed down to our office whenever he had problems with his laptop for "one of the boys" to come up and have a look at it, whenever he had any technical issues.

One day the usual phone call came through and off went "one of the boys" who was probably about 30 at the time.

He came back in stitches - Tom had plugged his laptop into the extension lead, and then plugged the extension lead socket into the extension lead, hence his laptop losing charge and closing down.