Work colleagues

On 06/07/2023 at 20:02, BTFD said:

I think you need a picture of the woman in question to sell along with the item.

According to a mate.

As if anybody is going to check if it's the right woman.

According to someone itk...

Edited by Jacksgranda
Typo

16 hours ago, RuMoore said:

Aye we've had similar drama, I don't really need to be careful as I have absolutely zero desire to spend any time speaking to these people. I actually left the group and got added back in by a manger. 

Bit of a donkey, was he?

Apparently historians have unearthed a sicknote from the Father of English Literature Geoffrey Chaucer!

Geoffrey Chaucer note asking for time off work identified as his handwriting

On the subject of phone  messages and Whatapps groups.

I started where I am during lockdown and was WFH full time.

Knew it would be handy having a phone number, but bugger giving them mine, I'm a buyer and would have been on emails to colleagues, suppliers and clients.

Had an old phone in a cupboard, £10.00 a month sim from EE and had a new number. More than two years later probably the best tenner a month I ever spent, and now less a month.

The phone has all my work contacts, suppliers, clients colleagues and works whatapps teams & groups etc. Soon as leaving office that phone in bag and ignored till morning, if at home, it never leaves my desk and can ring or bleep as much as it wants, It will be ignored. My boss and one colleague have my real number for emergencies and that's it. The idea of having a combined personal and work phone is madness, I have clients in different countries and time zones, 7pm on a Friday in the pub is not a good time to ask me about your tooling problems. 

I work my hours, and if honest a bit more, but f**k the idea of 24/7 thoughts of work or the folk I have to work with and deal with.

On 07/07/2023 at 14:54, Richey Edwards said:

Back in 2017 I was off sick for eight months with depression and suicidal ideation and the very last thing I wanted to do was go on a work-related chat and read about work-related activities. I left all work group chats because they were nothing to do with me at that time (I did not even know if I would ever be back), and deleted my social media.

There is a lass at our work who started fairly recently - she is the one I previously alluded to who does not shut up about her kids. 

She joined our daily team Teams call while she was in the hospital the other week. It was one of the most awkward five minutes of my life, I had to look down at my notepad and pretend to write.

3 minutes ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

She joined our daily team Teams call while she was in the hospital the other week. It was one of the most awkward five minutes of my life, I had to look down at my notepad and pretend to write.

I don't get people who do things like that. Surely if you're in the hospital then you'd realise that no one would expect you to join a daily Teams call?

18 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I don't get people who do things like that. Surely if you're in the hospital then you'd realise that no one would expect you to join a daily Teams call?

Seems to be only one reason for it; one which is at the route of so many of the world's problems IMO. Attention seeking.

A moment of thought for our American colleagues, where it seems to be a total crapshoot regarding whether your employer will accept any excuse at all for dingying work, especially at the lower-paid end of the spectrum. You don't have to search hard to find people who've been given the bullet for serious illness, attending a parent's funeral, or refusing to work with coronavirus.

Joining Teams calls from the hospital seems the least of it over there.

2 minutes ago, BTFD said:

Discussing sales targets while a dozen colleagues witness the doctor checking your prostate could be a tad embarrassing, but if it's that or unemployment, what ya gonna do...? 

First day back at work today after a week off and managed 3 hours sleep last night. Logged on to find out my colleague had fired in a 9AM meeting with a client for me. The whole discussion could’ve been an email. 

Also half the stuff I handed over hasn’t been done because my boss is “busy”. Anyone got any jobs going? 

13 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Discussing sales targets while a dozen colleagues witness the doctor checking your prostate could be a tad embarrassing, but if it's that or unemployment, what ya gonna do...? 

"I know it's inconvenient for you Stephen, but you know it's company policy that cameras are to be on at all times during the daily scrum. If you could ask the doctor to turn off the monitor, that would be great, as broadcasting the inside of your colon is a bit unprofessional"

8 minutes ago, BTFD said:

"I know it's inconvenient for you Stephen, but you know it's company policy that cameras are to be on at all times during the daily scrum. If you could ask the doctor to turn off the monitor, that would be great, as broadcasting the inside of your colon is a bit unprofessional"

Thanks boss, noted.

27 minutes ago, BTFD said:

But at the last meeting you talked of getting to the bottom of all the issues as a team.....

47 minutes ago, BTFD said:

I was chatting to guys at an FM company and they have CCTV inside the vans, trackers, sensors for if you're too close to someone, speeding, changing lanes/turning without indicators and they get however many points against their names and they have to go in for the companies driver awareness course and a fine.

Think I'd just chuck that job completely. 

2 hours ago, Empty It said:

I was chatting to guys at an FM company and they have CCTV inside the vans, trackers, sensors for if you're too close to someone, speeding, changing lanes/turning without indicators and they get however many points against their names and they have to go in for the companies driver awareness course and a fine.

Think I'd just chuck that job completely. 

Have they got a phone number and "How's my driving" on their back door?

4 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

On the subject of phone  messages and Whatapps groups.

I started where I am during lockdown and was WFH full time.

Knew it would be handy having a phone number, but bugger giving them mine, I'm a buyer and would have been on emails to colleagues, suppliers and clients.

Had an old phone in a cupboard, £10.00 a month sim from EE and had a new number. More than two years later probably the best tenner a month I ever spent, and now less a month.

The phone has all my work contacts, suppliers, clients colleagues and works whatapps teams & groups etc. Soon as leaving office that phone in bag and ignored till morning, if at home, it never leaves my desk and can ring or bleep as much as it wants, It will be ignored. My boss and one colleague have my real number for emergencies and that's it. The idea of having a combined personal and work phone is madness, I have clients in different countries and time zones, 7pm on a Friday in the pub is not a good time to ask me about your tooling problems. 

I work my hours, and if honest a bit more, but f**k the idea of 24/7 thoughts of work or the folk I have to work with and deal with.

I also have a separate work phone and second all of the above.

Also, when I’m out and about I like to put them both on the table and act like I’m either dealing drugs or having an affair.

3 hours ago, BTFD said:

A moment of thought for our American colleagues, where it seems to be a total crapshoot regarding whether your employer will accept any excuse at all for dingying work, especially at the lower-paid end of the spectrum. You don't have to search hard to find people who've been given the bullet for serious illness, attending a parent's funeral, or refusing to work with coronavirus.

Its the "at will" law they have. Some of the reasons they have for firing people are wild. A guy posted on another site I am a member of that his boss asked him to work when he had booked annual leave. The annual leave was for his wedding. His boss said you can get married or have a job.

The guy posted a picture of him on honeymoon.

Of course "at will" works both ways and you can walk out at anytime with no notice. Some of the stories of people doing that and leaving their shitty employer up the creek are great