Best Boozer

The Uisge on Woodlands Road was always alright in a weird way, but it's replacement Dram! (f**k sake) is pretty soulless, which is a shame.  Woodlands Road has a couple of good pubs, but a few of them have been infested with beardy, hipster wankers in recent years.

The West Brewery place is literally the worst place on the planet.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure I see the appeal of The Judges although I've only been in a couple of times pre-gig or meal.

Poor layout and lots of wood are the two abiding memories, just seemed like your standard old man's pub. Maybe I'd appreciate it more if I was more of an Innis and Gunn cask finish rather than an Innis and Gunn lager beer type of c**t.

ETA - Or if I believed that a dog should be anywhere other than someone else's house

Guest Pampered Adolescent

Glasgow: The Laurieston & 13th Note

Liverpool: The Dispensary, The Grapes, The Vernon, The Ship & Mitre, & The Edinburgh (Wavertree)

Sheffield: The Sheffield Tap & The Rutland Arms 

^^^used to drink in the Mallard in North Muirton til it shut.....

The Mallard remains the only place someone offered me a gram of smack on tick...

20 hours ago, The OP said:

Not sure I see the appeal of The Judges although I've only been in a couple of times pre-gig or meal.

Poor layout and lots of wood are the two abiding memories, just seemed like your standard old man's pub. Maybe I'd appreciate it more if I was more of an Innis and Gunn cask finish rather than an Innis and Gunn lager beer type of c**t.

ETA - Or if I believed that a dog should be anywhere other than someone else's house

I find it quite a friendly place and it's not full of arseholes that go in just for football. Certainly had the old man's pub feel to it. Jazz on a Sunday is not my cup of tea though!!

On 7/11/2017 at 12:01, KnightswoodBear said:

I used to stay round the corner from Crosslands (made famous by being the filming location for the scene in Trainspotting that Begbie launches the glass over his shoulder) and I used to enjoy wandering round for a pint and watching the football.  Karaoke on a Friday night was an eye opener mind you.  I believe it's now a restaurant.  

The Aragon was always another place I enjoyed and could quite happily sit in there on my tod watching the world go by.  The Three Judges is probably the last pub in that vicinity to cling on to it's "proper pub" vibe and it's all the better for it.

Coopers on Gt Western Rd is great for the football as there is about a million TV's and it's big enough that unless it's rammed for a big game, you can always find somewhere to stand or sit.

After moving up to #theMearns in #EastRenfrewshire, there is an absolute shortage of decent boozers up my way.  There's a Hungry Horse opened up that I suppose is my local now, but it's a soulless family trap.

edit: There's a load of decent places opened up in Finneston now that the place has been gentrified, Brass Monkey being probably my favourite.

I think I have drunk / still drink in pretty much the same place as you, having made a similar migration across the city in the last 10 years. Not gone quite as Sout as the Mearns yet though.

I liked Crosslands for the football, and usually a good atmosphere. It's sad that The Aragon's gone downhill - I was in there a fer years back, and it was pretty poor. The ale taps were all off. I went up to Tennents for a decent pint instead. 

I don't mind Inn Deep though. I like Williams Bros stuff, so it works for me (I think the woman that owns it is one of their daughters?).

On 7/11/2017 at 12:43, Squirrelhumper said:

Pretty much agree with that word for word!

I prefer the  State Bar to the Variety though.

State Bra is cracking. Another vote for that.

On 7/11/2017 at 15:56, mrcat1990 said:

Captains Rest was great. Munros is absolutely soulless and plastic but has good beers.

Captains Rest or Arlington the morning after a post-Subby all-nighter were institutions. Just great chat from reprobates.

On 7/11/2017 at 17:21, KnightswoodBear said:

The Uisge on Woodlands Road was always alright in a weird way, but it's replacement Dram! (f**k sake) is pretty soulless, which is a shame.  Woodlands Road has a couple of good pubs, but a few of them have been infested with beardy, hipster wankers in recent years.

The West Brewery place is literally the worst place on the planet.

I want to draw attention to my earlier rant about the staff in Uiege. This bint barmaid took my makes drink off the bar. I had just put it there while he went to the bog and while I was being served. I caught her doing this, and said "excuse me, that's my friend's". She grudgingly gave it back and said "it's a busy bar, we need to keep it clear". I put it right on front of my arms. One of my mates tapped me on the shoulder to ask me to add something to the round. In the space of time it took for me to look round and get the order from my friend, she, or one of her tartan-wearing arsehole cronies, picked up the drink and poured it down the sink. I turned back and challenged them. The barman, who was just about to put the pints etc. from my round down on the bar looked at me blankly, not understanding what had happened. She stepped forward and went "do you want those drinks, or do you want to make a fuss?", as some sort of dimwitted ultimatum. 

I told them to f**k off and we all left, and I've not been back since. 

1 hour ago, milton75 said:

I liked Crosslands for the football, and usually a good atmosphere. It's sad that The Aragon's gone downhill - I was in there a fer years back, and it was pretty poor. The ale taps were all off. I went up to Tennents for a decent pint instead. 

I can't mind who told me, but someone said The Aragon was run down by the previous management who wanted to sell the place and couldn't be fucked anymore.  It's reopened under new owners and is supposedly back to what it used to be.  I've not been in so can't confirm that. 

1 hour ago, milton75 said:

I want to draw attention to my earlier rant about the staff in Uiege. This bint barmaid took my makes drink off the bar. I had just put it there while he went to the bog and while I was being served. I caught her doing this, and said "excuse me, that's my friend's". She grudgingly gave it back and said "it's a busy bar, we need to keep it clear". I put it right on front of my arms. One of my mates tapped me on the shoulder to ask me to add something to the round. In the space of time it took for me to look round and get the order from my friend, she, or one of her tartan-wearing arsehole cronies, picked up the drink and poured it down the sink. I turned back and challenged them. The barman, who was just about to put the pints etc. from my round down on the bar looked at me blankly, not understanding what had happened. She stepped forward and went "do you want those drinks, or do you want to make a fuss?", as some sort of dimwitted ultimatum. 

I told them to f**k off and we all left, and I've not been back since. 

I'm raging just reading that. Hope they'd poured most of your round when you walked.

I'm raging just reading that. Hope they'd poured most of your round when you walked.

That was the one silver lining. With the exception of the couple of drinks I'd just been asked for, there was a round of 8 or 9 about to be served.
That said, the p***ks probably sold them to other punters over the next 10 mins.

On 08/07/2017 at 16:08, throbber said:

I flirted with the idea a couple of times but didn't follow through, its not even in my top 5 pubs in Leith, its just sometimes convenient. I had food today in Teuchters landing in Leith which is a favourite of mine.

Went back down to Leith on Saturday; not been for a while but used to frequent a few pubs round about The Shore years ago when I lived there.

Was in the Teuchters Landing and it's one of my favourites in the whole city. Great selection of beers and whisky and, when you get a cracking sunny day and you get a seat outside, it's a cracking spot to sit for a few. Really like it.

Big fan of Carriers Quarters as well.

In Dunfermline, best pub for me is the Commercial in the town centre. A haven for those of us who enjoy real ale.

Carriers is my favourite traditional pub in Edinburgh.  The Shore's very nice for a daytime/early evening session with mates, really can't beat it on a sunny day.  Leith Walk is better at nightime with girls though.

Are people honestly suggesting Bar Salsa as a good boozer?? When I lived in Edinburgh my favourite was always The Golf Tavern.

All of Inverkeithing’s bars are just awful, last time I was home I went to the Hillend Tavern instead, nice little village pub.

Most Toronto bars seem to be judged on how good their food is or what gimmicks they have,  but The Amsterdam Brewhouse by the lake is excellent place for a drink in the summer. Beer brewed on site and a patio on the lake.

Are people honestly suggesting Bar Salsa as a good boozer?? When I lived in Edinburgh my favourite was always The Golf Tavern.

All of Inverkeithing’s bars are just awful, last time I was home I went to the Hillend Tavern instead, nice little village pub.

Most Toronto bars seem to be judged on how good their food is or what gimmicks they have,  but The Amsterdam Brewhouse by the lake is excellent place for a drink in the summer. Beer brewed on site and a patio on the lake.

Ah, the hat and rat in the divit. Some place eh?? [emoji3]

On Sunday, July 09, 2017 at 22:08, Adam said:

Glasgow city centre - Max's or Sloans
West End - Lismore or The Islay
East End - The Waverley

Ended up in the Waverley last night.  Full of neds snorting junk, chinned twice in the toilet about what team do I support and where am I from, some roaster sleeping on the bar, an old guy trying to go for who I think was his son, someone having a shove at a barmaid before he started offering fights outside.  Nothing like the cracking couple of nights I've had in their before. 

Archived