Cash or Cashless?

Romeo

Cash or Cashless  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

So will kids have to start carrying around bank cards as well? 

Of course not. That's what the microchip soldered onto their skull will be for!  :rolleyes:

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folk get cash in all sorts of ways. Ducking and diving being a decent enough general term.

Just so I know; are you conceding that this would be terrible for these kind of folks? Or is it that you don't really care about them as they're fucked anyway?

It's not that I don't care.

I enjoy using contactless payments. Actual Money is on its way out.

I don't really get it... what's the problem with being able to pay with either cash or card?

ETA: "To stop pensioners and kids fiddling around with coppers"... I'd argue that pensioners will fiddle around as much with a bank card / Apple Pay etc... 

I don't really get it... what's the problem with being able to pay with either cash or card?

There is an option for that in the poll. I enjoy contactless payments and would welcome more of that.

It's just being turned into a moral crusade by a couple of posters.

6 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

I know what the answer would be if I offered to pay my window cleaner by card instead of cash.

Two of the places I've worked at recently used window cleaners who prefer direct debits. Beats trying to chase people up for cash, I suppose.

They've probably also got those wireless card readers that all the "homeless" people have these days (© Daily Mail/Oaksoft).

Of course not. That's what the microchip soldered onto their skull will be for!  :rolleyes:

Saw a thing in the telly, some guy at a university had an implant in his hand that would allow him to open doors as a kind of proof of concept.

Would definitely do that.

*waits for "what if someone stole your hand" response.

2 minutes ago, Romeo said:

There is an option for that in the poll. I enjoy contactless payments and would welcome more of that.

It's just being turned into a moral crusade by a couple of posters.

Yeah, but you would actually favour a society where cash is abolished and I don't really understand the benefits. If the problem is old biddies faffing about with coins, they're going to faff about regardless of the payment option offered to them. 

15 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

So will kids have to start carrying around bank cards as well? 

Again, that ship has sailed.  My kids get their bus tickets through their phones.

BUT the 'cashless society' has heehaw to do with utility (which we all agree is a good thing) but with the fundamental principle of of having a transactional instrument that is independent of electronic ownership.

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

Again, that ship has sailed.  My kids get their bus tickets through their phones.

BUT the 'cashless society' has heehaw to do with utility (which we all agree is a good thing) but with the fundamental utility of of having a transnational instrument that is independent of electronic ownership.

Never knew that was a thing (and I'm still under 40 ... just) ... however, I'm guessing your kids are probably teenagers... I was probably 7 or 8 when I first bought sweets and that in a shop. Assuming cash is on the way out, would they need to have a phone to buy their 10p mix (which is probably a £2 mix these days). 

5 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

ETA: "To stop pensioners and kids fiddling around with coppers"... I'd argue that pensioners will fiddle around as much with a bank card / Apple Pay etc... 

It's fucking remarkable how many folk don't know how to use Chip & PIN cards these days. Mainly the auld yins (which is understandable, as I doubt I'll remember how my trousers work in twenty years' time, never mind anything related to technology), but there are plenty of working-age adults stoating about the place who act like they've suddenly been thrust forward in time from the Eighties.

Stop trying to make them use complicated things and make milk bottle tops an acceptable form of currency, FFS.

Just now, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Never knew that was a thing (and I'm still under 40 ... just) ... however, I'm guessing your kids are probably teenagers... I was probably 7 or 8 when I first bought sweets and that in a shop. Assuming cash is on the way out, would they need to have a phone to buy their 10p mix (which is probably a £2 mix these days). 

Mine are 14, 16 and 18.  They use their phones for the bus and get pocket money sent to their cards each month (from me) - makes life so much easier.

BUT we shouldn't mistake the utility of electronic transactions with the dystopia of a world where hard cash is frowned upon. 

7 minutes ago, Romeo said:

What about homeless people? Old people with houses full cash and kids getting microchips soldered to their skull?

To be clear, at no point did I say this was a bad idea. Especially if it's painful...the wee b*****ds.

I've discovered how to tell which of the auld boys keep their money under the mattress. They're the ones screaming blue murder at the shop till with a handful of notes that were withdrawn twenty years ago.

"but...can ye not just take them anyway?"  :1eye

Archived