Cash or Cashless?

Romeo

Cash or Cashless  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

We've been over this, FFS. Microchip bolted onto their foreheads. Perfectly reasonable.

On another note, why do folk get so hot and bothered about supermarkets knowing what they buy?

Its not so much them knowing what I buy, its more that I don't want to be spied on, have data collected about me without my authorization or be advertised at.

I generally prefer to tell people the information I want to tell them about myself, not have it taken simply because I have the audacity to buy something.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

We've been over this, FFS. Microchip bolted onto their foreheads. Perfectly reasonable.

On another note, why do folk get so hot and bothered about supermarkets knowing what they buy?

That article posted above about Target gives an insight on the psychology of it. People don't mind supermarkets knowing what they buy, they just don't like that supermarkets can use that information to work out so many more things. People are nothing if not predictable for the most part, but, perhaps predictably, they don't like having their predictability pointed out to them.

I use both, big purchases are usually card but like to use cash for smaller stuff and rarely have an empty wallet, its a foible of mine.

I like to keep a stash of 50 quid or so in the back of my wallet for 'emergencies' and a few hundred in the house, it varies on how much due to how skint I am though. While I don't really care if the banks or supermarkets are analysing my purchases I like to keep a stash of cash for 'just in case' stuff, even a cash point not working. Now while I think it unlikely (colour me crazy) these cyber attacks might target the banks making cash withdrawals impossible until its resolved. There have been balls up in the past too where people haven't been able to access their cash. I like to have enough to hand to tide us over, it gets used for takeaways and whatnot too, I accept I'm a bit of a weirdo about this. :ph34r:

I can't see our society going cashless any time soon although I can see why it might be attractive to 'the powers that be', everyone can be taxed etc and it will make things difficult for criminals. While not quite cashless, India got rid of their high denomination notes to cut down on crime (and corruption but I don't think that's an issue here).

http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/08/news/economy/india-rupee-notes-ban-currency/index.html

There might come a time that SOME countries could make it work but the IT security would have to be a hundred percent which it seems it isn't. I reckon we'll have cash for a while yet, its good to have the choice.

No, it wasn't their objections I was confused about - they're usually quite happy to outline them at length. I'm more perplexed about why some folk love to rant about being spied on by businesses as if they're being forced to...well, I don't know.

Incidentally, Tesco gave me a voucher for something called Tena Lady Pants when I bought a bottle of rum yesterday. I'm suitable annoyed.

If we're seriously talking about banks refusing to produce and honour notes, parts of society would just go back to using something else to exchange for credit, like rocks, bottlecaps, or Tena Lady Pants. People with money would go back to producing their own credit slips. It's highly unlikely that it could ever happen.

26 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

No, it wasn't their objections I was confused about - they're usually quite happy to outline them at length. I'm more perplexed about why some folk love to rant about being spied on by businesses as if they're being forced to...well, I don't know.

Incidentally, Tesco gave me a voucher for something called Tena Lady Pants when I bought a bottle of rum yesterday. I'm suitable annoyed.

Well that's the point I guess. At least at the moment I can use cash so we aren't forced into using cards which people can then analyse. In a cashless society, this would no longer be an option and we would be forced into it.

Just now, Jambomo said:

Well that's the point I guess. At least at the moment I can use cash so we aren't forced into using cards which people can then analyse. In a cashless society, this would no longer be an option and we would be forced into it.

If it ever happens, I'll buy your milk in exchange for absorbent underwear.

44 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

There might come a time that SOME countries could make it work but the IT security would have to be a hundred percent which it seems it isn't. I reckon we'll have cash for a while yet, its good to have the choice.

I am not sure that I follow this logic.  Why would IT security have to be 100%, we are already using IT for cash transactions and storage of value.  Also cash is not 100% secure so what makes the alternative need to be?

Contactless and card payments are a service though and costs something like 25p per transaction to the business. Just like a bank makes money through interchange when you use a cashline.

So presumably the end effect is that smaller retailers will have to put prices up to counteract this cost and may end up going out of business because of it.

That said, it's convenient as f*ck to use contactless/card all the time so that's what I do.

Just now, BigFatTabbyDave said:

They need to find a different card processing service if it's costing them 25p for small purchases.

I'm not sure about the exact numbers in general but at the works canteen the manager said they were given back 25p per contactless transaction by my employers as an incentive for them to offer contactless payments.

1 minute ago, ilostmyself said:

I'm not sure about the exact numbers in general but at the works canteen the manager said they were given back 25p per contactless transaction by my employers as an incentive for them to offer contactless payments.

I wonder why your employer's so keen for the canteen to offer contactless payments? Bit odd.

Just now, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I wonder why your employer's so keen for the canteen to offer contactless payments? Bit odd.

I thought that myself, I work for a bank though so they probably have a way that the money comes back to them. Either that or they include it in their budget as a perk for staff or something as daft as that.

5 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I must be an absolute pain in the arse for my bank.  I don't have, and never have had a mortgage, i've got no loans, I never go into my overdraft and I have a credit card that I use very infrequently and pay off when I do.

They seem to be deploying a "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" policy in the mailshots they send me.

edit: Regarding my overdraft, a few years ago I noticed that my overdraft on my current account had gone from £300 to £2000.  I hadn't asked for this and had not been informed it was happening.  When I contacted them, I got some shit about "adjusting accounts to better suit the customer"  After half an hour and 2 managers I got it put back to the £300 that I never use.

Banks are quite happy with the people who pay off their credit card in full each month - although they'd prefer it if you used it more often! 

17 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

Contactless and card payments are a service though and costs something like 25p per transaction to the business. Just like a bank makes money through interchange when you use a cashline.

So presumably the end effect is that smaller retailers will have to put prices up to counteract this cost and may end up going out of business because of it.

That said, it's convenient as f*ck to use contactless/card all the time so that's what I do.

Money has to be counted and banked though, which costs money, indirectly, through someones wages.

35 minutes ago, strichener said:

I am not sure that I follow this logic.  Why would IT security have to be 100%, we are already using IT for cash transactions and storage of value.  Also cash is not 100% secure so what makes the alternative need to be?

If this was the only medium then it would be all the eggs in one basket (assuming you have all your accounts with one bank) so if your bank had snags then you're kind of pooped until it gets resolved. 

While cash isn't a 100% (forgeries, but unless you whip out a big stash of it the bank will honour the odd 20 I believe) its an alternative that is readily accepted with a known value and more acceptable generally than an IOU. 

Archived