League Cup - Last 16 Draw

3 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Dundee v united will be live on the Wednesday as they won't put it up against Real Madrid v man united in the super cup on Tuesday

They will, because they have rights to 2 live games.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Owsley said:

This new format is beyond farcical. Meaningless matches, meaningless penalty shoot outs, smaller teams shafted, draws that many think are wins/defeats and now two teams meeting again in successive rounds. Where the f**k else would that happen but Scotland? Ross County could have got Hibs again and potentially met seven or eight times during the season.

Every Hamilton game is meaningless.

4 hours ago, andylivi1 said:

How very dull for us, probably worse than St J away. 

Its a tie we can win but we will be hefty second favourites. 

Who the f**k is this guy

3 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

The way forward here is NO SEEDING.

European teams have already had an advantage by skipping the group stage. The others have all earned their place in the knockout stage, so just an all-in draw.

The only thing I would do, is if two teams from the same group are drawn to play each other, the away team is void and a different ball drawn out. The ball of the original Away team drawn is then dropped back in for the remainder of the draw. If it's the last tie drawn then f**k it, pull the live tv coverage and say technical hitch and pretend it never happened and restart the draw.

Take a breath, your microwave Sunday dinner for 1 has went cold

Shite draw. We have league games against Livingston and Inverness either side of the Ibrox trip and they're far more important.
Who am I kidding? I'd give one of my kidneys to see us beat those c***s.

A serious chance to put the final nail in a manager's coffin.

What's not to like!? [emoji12]

Right:- Here's what we do . Group stages to be 12 groups of 4. This will be 38 SPFL teams. 4 Junior teams (superleague winners and SPFL cup  winners) 3 Highland league (top 3 in league) 3 Lowland league (top 3 in league). Play each other home and away. Only group winners progress. Round of 16 to be a straight draw .

Benefits:- More integration of Lowland/Highland and Junior teams.

Less skewing of the group stages (Falkirk had to play the two hardest teams away and the two weakest at home).

No chance of playing a team that you have played in the group stages in the later rounds.

Unlikely that you will have team in your own division in your group.

43 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

They used a Thursday slot last season for Aberdeen vs St Johnstone.

I know I was at the game, they have the rights to 3 Quarter Finals - of which that was one, Celtic vs Alloa and Rangers vs Queens were the other two

I know I was at the game, they have the rights to 3 Quarter Finals - of which that was one, Celtic vs Alloa and Rangers vs Queens were the other two

I wouldn't be inconceivable for them to show Betfred games on the Wednesday and Thursday to avoid the Super Cup then (if they have 2 games at this stage).

4 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

I wouldn't be inconceivable for them to show Betfred games on the Wednesday and Thursday to avoid the Super Cup then (if they have 2 games at this stage).

They can't if they want to show Celtic - they have to play on the Tuesday (as do Partick, although their game is less likely to be shown).

Actually, it would have been interesting if either Aberdeen v Partick or The Rangers v Partick came out. 

8 hours ago, The Master said:

They can't if they want to show Celtic - they have to play on the Tuesday (as do Partick, although their game is less likely to be shown).

Actually, it would have been interesting if either Aberdeen v Partick or The Rangers v Partick came out. 

Yep...would def have been moved to the Thursday especially if at Pittodrie to give Celtic a chance on the Friday !

On ‎30‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 18:47, PauloPerth said:

The way forward here is NO SEEDING.

When they first announced the new format they actually said there would be no seeding in the knockout rounds. Obviously this was rowed back upon.

I observed the issue with TV selections on another thread. I think if Celtic had drawn Motherwell it would have been impossible to play the tie, short of postponing 1 / 2 league games, due to them having approved Sunday and Friday TV games either side. At least any tie involving Rangers could've been bumped to another midweek after they went out of EL.

There should (IMO) be separation, like in CL & EL, so teams from the same groups can't draw each other again in Last 16.

Giving home draws to seeds sounds good but gives even more help to CL & EL teams.

Last season Aberdeen's QF was on Thursday as BT asked to show only 1x Last 16 tie, and then 3x QF ties, and SPFL agreed.

22 hours ago, STUL said:

Right:- Here's what we do . Group stages to be 12 groups of 4. This will be 38 SPFL teams. 4 Junior teams (superleague winners and SPFL cup  winners) 3 Highland league (top 3 in league) 3 Lowland league (top 3 in league). Play each other home and away. Only group winners progress. Round of 16 to be a straight draw .

Benefits:- More integration of Lowland/Highland and Junior teams.

Less skewing of the group stages (Falkirk had to play the two hardest teams away and the two weakest at home).

No chance of playing a team that you have played in the group stages in the later rounds.

Unlikely that you will have team in your own division in your group.

That sounds pretty dreadful, tbf.

First of all with only 1 progressing (no runners-up) and playing everyone twice, there would be more meaningless games as well as less variety and more repetition? Also 6 dates, not 5.

Second of all - why are you including Junior clubs? Indeed you're including more Junior clubs than either HL or LL clubs... They haven't joined the pyramid, hence why should they be receiving any LC places? If you wanted 48 clubs then you'd take the top 5 in HL and top 5 in LL.

Also there would be quite a good chance of 2 Championship or SPFL1 clubs meeting:

Pot 1 ... 8 Premiership, 4 Championship
Pot 2 ... 6 Championship, 6 SPFL1
Pot 3 ... 4 SPFL1, 8 SPFL2
Pot 4 ... 2 SPFL2, 10 non-league

Agree, I think the organisers have got it spot on with groups of 5 and play each other once. 

Regarding seeding from the first of HJ's points, I'd possibly make it so that the four best group winners be given home ties. The rest, including the 4 European teams, are all-in and its luck of the draw.  

Any changes would be minor, as overall the new format is great. But a couple I'd put forward would be:

- the best thing about the groups is it guarantees an opportunity to see teams and visit grounds from other divisions. In a league set up where we play each other 4 times a season (mostly), we are crying out for variety, and this offers it.  This season though, Falkirk, Stirling and Brechin were in the same group, just as they were last season and I think that's poor.  More should be done to ensure variety season to season.  I'd like to see a system which matches up teams that haven't played each other, in any competition, for the longest period of time, and groups them accordingly. Would also help share the wealth amongst the lower league teams a wee bit. If that means no regionalisation then so be it, play further apart opponents on Saturdays, and closer ones in midweek.

- consider European participants in the group stages. Old firm could use their 'colt' teams/ fringe players as they're so keen to get them playing senior sides. For the rest of us, it would provide meaningful fixtures after we get papped oot of Europe earlydoors!  Add in the winner of a play off between 2nd place in highland and lowland league and you get 9 groups of 5.  Winners and runners up go through to 6 groups of 3, play each other once and the 6 group winners and 2 best runners up qualify for quarter finals. But to be honest I'm just making this up as I go along and would possibly be shite. The point was to work the 4 European qualifiers into the group stage somehow.

I'd just bin regionalisation, it's a national cup and it gives a bit more variety. Would also remove any perceived advantage of being in a stronger or weaker region

I get the obvious counter will be part time teams playing midweek away games at the other end of the country  but there must be a way to work the fixtures so that you only get one midweek away game and if it's miles away then tough titties, you're in a national cup competition. Even in the current regionalised setup we had things like Buckie vs Raith midweek. Fairly certain teams played midweek pre-season friendlies quite far away from home before this started.

I'd also allow trialists in the group stages but with a limit per game and in total.

It threw-up some derbies this year, but the main reason for regionalising it - despite the anomalies (e.g. Dumbarton last year; Edinburgh clubs this) - is avoiding travelling the length of the country. Crowds have proven fragile as it is, so Annan/QotS/Stranraer/Berwick etc. v Inverness/Ross County/Elgin/Peterhead - especially midweek - wouldn't help. Suppose you could use an "open draw" but prevent those clubs drawing each other, tbf.

I'd think allowing triallists or 5-6 subs would be a bad idea. Fans aren't mugs and if you start openly treating it as friendlies so will they.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived