League Cup - Last 16 Draw

Just now, The DA said:

The seeds weren't all drawn at home though - they alternated seeds and non-seeds first out of the bowl.

I know that - my suggestion was that the seeds should be at home which you clearly missed while being pedantic about my deliberate mistake ;)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

You clearly seed 0 of the best runners-up. It's not hard. :ph34r:

At least you would get them at home. Someone has to draw them.

So the seeds would be Falkirk, Hibs, Dunfermline, Dundee Utd, Motherwell, Livingston, Hamilton and Ayr

non seeds Celtic, Aberdeen, Rangers, St Johnstone, Partick, Ross County, Dundee and Kilmarnock.

eh I think I would rather be in the unseeded pot tbh.

37 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Rangers once again get a home tie against lower league opposition...

I'm starting to believe the conspiracy now, they've even got Chris Sutton and Michael Stewart - two guys hardly known for being fond of Rangers - to carve up another home draw against a lower league side for them. This conspiracy is good I'll give you that.

Just now, MJC said:

I'm starting to believe the conspiracy now, they've even got Chris Sutton and Michael Stewart - two guys hardly known for being fond of Rangers - to carve up another home draw against a lower league side for them. This conspiracy is good I'll give you that.

Aye, when Stewart picked a ball from the seeded pot, there was a wee laser in there burning Rangers' number onto it.  He just had to draw it out slowly and keep his fingers out of the way.

This new format is beyond farcical. Meaningless matches, meaningless penalty shoot outs, smaller teams shafted, draws that many think are wins/defeats and now two teams meeting again in successive rounds. Where the f**k else would that happen but Scotland? Ross County could have got Hibs again and potentially met seven or eight times during the season.

The way forward here is NO SEEDING.

European teams have already had an advantage by skipping the group stage. The others have all earned their place in the knockout stage, so just an all-in draw.

The only thing I would do, is if two teams from the same group are drawn to play each other, the away team is void and a different ball drawn out. The ball of the original Away team drawn is then dropped back in for the remainder of the draw. If it's the last tie drawn then f**k it, pull the live tv coverage and say technical hitch and pretend it never happened and restart the draw.

3 minutes ago, Owsley said:

This new format is beyond farcical. Meaningless matches, meaningless penalty shoot outs, smaller teams shafted, draws that many think are wins/defeats and now two teams meeting again in successive rounds. Where the f**k else would that happen but Scotland? Ross County could have got Hibs again and potentially met seven or eight times during the season.

I like the groups a lot. Far more opportunity for variety than in a normal cup competition as it guarantees you a few games against teams you wouldn't normally play.

Straight forward knock out doesn't give you that.

Last season in the groups we played Stirling Albion, Brechin, Elgin and Falkirk. All teams/ a couple of grounds we don't usually get to see.

In the knock out we beat hearts then went out to Aberdeen. In the Scottish Cup we played Partick Thistle, who we've just drawn again in the league Cup.

The only issue with the format is the same teams meeting again, which could easily be sorted. And, even though I think it shouldn't be able to happen, it has provided the only interesting tie of this round to be fair.

If the format of a cup competition means you can meet the same team twice, why does it matter if it's in successive rounds? It's not far off the same as a two legged competition. If Dundee and United had avoided each other this time but met in the quarter finals, basically one game later, nobody would have said a word about the format. There's little difference really.

If the format of a cup competition means you can meet the same team twice, why does it matter if it's in successive rounds? It's not far off the same as a two legged competition. If Dundee and United had avoided each other this time but met in the quarter finals, basically one game later, nobody would have said a word about the format. There's little difference really.

I think more people are bothered by the fact United winning the group had absolutely no influence as they've ended up disadvantaged anyway.

Seeded teams should be at home. If folk aren't happy the top four sides get that anyway, then tough, try and finish in the top four.

I think more people are bothered by the fact United winning the group had absolutely no influence as they've ended up disadvantaged anyway.

Erm no, they did get an advantage - they were guaranteed to avoid the strongest sides in the competition in that round. Whereas Dundee could have drawn Aberdeen or Celtic away instead. The fact that the two play each other again is known as 'luck of the draw' for an obvious reason.

Dreadful draw for us, will probably end up getting beat 2/3-0. Only positive is that we'll make some money out of the tie, I believe we (correctly) only budgeted for us going out at the groups.

Agree with the shouts that the draw should be all in at this stage. Seeding, generally, is pish.

The alternative is the top seeds get guaranteed home tie.
Don't know how some people would feel giving the BIG TEAMS even more advantages

..or you could give the four seeded group winners a home draw and the European qualifiers an away game as they have already gained a big advantage from automatically qualifying?

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

The way forward here is NO SEEDING.

European teams have already had an advantage by skipping the group stage. The others have all earned their place in the knockout stage, so just an all-in draw.

The only thing I would do, is if two teams from the same group are drawn to play each other, the away team is void and a different ball drawn out. The ball of the original Away team drawn is then dropped back in for the remainder of the draw. If it's the last tie drawn then f**k it, pull the live tv coverage and say technical hitch and pretend it never happened and restart the draw.

They don't even need to do that. 

UEFA do it for the Champions League and Europa League. After the home team is drawn, they select a set of balls that excludes the other team that qualified from the same group (and teams from the same country).

Archived