Berwick Rangers v Clyde

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heard a Clyde official telling someone Clyde's game plan was long balls to Goodwillie. Surely we can come up with something better than hoofball. It's Barry tactics. Only Goodwillie would get pass marks today.

It worked well today with lots of chances. Only the finishing let us down.

Heard a Clyde official telling someone Clyde's game plan was long balls to Goodwillie. Surely we can come up with something better than hoofball. It's Barry tactics. Only Goodwillie would get pass marks today.

Long ball Chapman's tactics at Annan.
What a shame Clyde Athletic lost this one [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Just a word about Smart, a guy who Chapman had at Annan last season,and never played! 

Now all of a sudden he's a brilliant prospect at Clyde. I rest my case,be careful what you wish for

Annan are coming up next week not as lambs to the slaughter!!!

1 hour ago, Jack Burton said:

I thought we were garbage today. Almost all of our chances were created via long punts from Currie or from poor defending by Berwick.

Berwick had the run of midfield and it's just as well they were equally poor. Stewart and Home won't cut it as wing backs. Home looks and plays like a centre half. If we play him at wing back then we are pretty much sacrificing the whole right hand side of the pitch as an attacking threat.

I would much rather we played 4-4-2 or some kind of variation so that we can start our more attacking players like Burbidge or Wright.

The goals we lost were all extremely poor. Nicoll's poor pass under no pressure leading to the Berwick equaliser right on half time. It was never a free kick for Berwick's second and Currie made a decent save but we had nobody rushing in to clear it away while Berwick had 3 players waiting to tap it in. The defence had chucked it for the 3rd goal, stood of the Berwick player and allowed them to shoot unchallenged.

Agreed. Think the keeper needs to get the ball away around the back. Poor starting position. No attempt of note at the first either. Bombscare if you ask me.

8 minutes ago, Solway Star said:

Just a word about Smart, a guy who Chapman had at Annan last season,and never played! 

Now all of a sudden he's a brilliant prospect at Clyde. I rest my case,be careful what you wish for

I certainly haven't noticed anybody say that he's a brilliant prospect. He has looked good in flashes but also looks an utter donkey in flashes, as well.

I agree about next week though. I'm sure your team will be right up for it.

As for Clyde players being slow to clear the rebound for the second goal, it's difficult when the entire team seemed to be in the wall.

We need to sort out the right side of defence. Home may be willing but his lack of pace is a real problem. So far, he's not found a way to compensate for it. He tries to push forward but does not have the speed get back as we saw for his booking today.

Breslin rarely headers or kicks the ball cleanly. I'm sorry but I don't see the player with promise others seem to.

The midfield provide next to no protection for the defence
We need more aggression in the midfield. We are far too easy to pass through or run through. I'm not impressed with Cuddihy and Flynn so far. Although Flynn played slightly better today.

Without Goodwillie we will really struggle. His fight and strength created the majority of his chances today.

On a positive note, the weather was nice but typical of any Clyde performance there was a sting in the tail. Pissed down as we left the stadium.

Berwick were pish today and done us 3-1. Goodwillie was a one man team for us with only Stewart and Nicol maybe scraping pass marks. Right side of defence yet again rank and mcniff poor, chucked it at 2-1. That midfield is never going to win any battle and we really need someone to play alongside goodwillie.

As for Clyde players being slow to clear the rebound for the second goal, it's difficult when the entire team seemed to be in the wall.

We need to sort out the right side of defence. Home may be willing but his lack of pace is a real problem. So far, he's not found a way to compensate for it. He tries to push forward but does not have the speed get back as we saw for his booking today.

Breslin rarely headers or kicks the ball cleanly. I'm sorry but I don't see the player with promise others seem to.

The midfield provide next to no protection for the defence
We need more aggression in the midfield. We are far too easy to pass through or run through. I'm not impressed with Cuddihy and Flynn so far. Although Flynn played slightly better today.

Without Goodwillie we will really struggle. His fight and strength created the majority of his chances today.

On a positive note, the weather was nice but typical of any Clyde performance there was a sting in the tail. Pissed down as we left the stadium.

Get a grip Annan made the play offs last year don't you know

As for Berwick....

Average age today was less than 21, and it showed. We gave the ball away far too easily, but Goodwillie aside Clyde looked short of the ability to do anything about it.

Mcrorie made some good saves and looked solid throughout the second half. Real story of the game though is that we scored 3 really good goals, and Clyde fluffed their chances. 

Best for Gers were Mcrorie, McDonald and 2 cracking finishes from Irving. This team should only get better.

Or as Jamesy Lawd might put, "fair play to the borderers, and good luck for the rest of the season. Top club."

No doubt that 3-1 flattered us; and when it looked like we were going in 1-0 down at HT, then when we were under the kosh during the second half at 1-1, we'd probably have thought a draw was a decent outcome. However it was excellent that the players plugged away and so put themselves in the position to take our chances after Clyde missed theirs. Onwards.

No doubt that 3-1 flattered us; and when it looked like we were going in 1-0 down at HT, then when we were under the kosh during the second half at 1-1, we'd probably have thought a draw was a decent outcome. However it was excellent that the players plugged away and so put themselves in the position to take our chances after Clyde missed theirs. Onwards.

Good result for Berwick doesn't matter how it's achieved

Non-existent midfield, pish defence, goalie that couldn't catch a cold. If someone decent signs Goodwillie we are basically fucked. There are far better sides than Berwick in this league so even though it's only day 1 today's result is a concern. If you don't take your chances and constantly leak soft goals it's not a good combination. Plenty work to be done. . .

Non-existent midfield, pish defence, goalie that couldn't catch a cold. If someone decent signs Goodwillie we are basically fucked. There are far better sides than Berwick in this league so even though it's only day 1 today's result is a concern. If you don't take your chances and constantly leak soft goals it's not a good combination. Plenty work to be done. . .

Dont panic Annan made the play offs last year please get with the programme

We'll not have a better chance than that of a straightforward 3 points all season. Really, Berwick did very little throughout the game and I didn't see them rampaging through midfield at any point; they were atrocious in possession and caught under the high ball time and time again at the back. It was like watching a team of Jack Breslins. They'll rightly be delighted with their win, and Irving took his goals well, but they're in for a tough season. As of course, are we.

Regarding Clyde I was on the verge of being reasonably positive at the break, without us playing particularly well. Got the opening goal from an excellent run by Goodwillie, could've got a second when Osadolor's shot was well saved, should've got a second when Goodwillie fired against the 'keeper. Most pleasing of all though, we didn't look close to conceding a goal. It's laughable to suggest Nicoll gets passmarks when he was, at least partly, at fault for two goals. The equaliser saw a couple of team-mates shirk responsibility and feed the ball back to him but his attempted pass was hopeless. Still on the halfway line though. We had our back three behind the ball; drop and protect the width of the box. We didn't protect one side of the box (Breslin's side) and the resulting shot was a good one.

Second half and again you wouldn't say we played well. Created chances consistently though and Goodwillie, who created a few for himself, was the main culprit in missing them. Osadolor hit a shot against the sole defender, with Goodwillie/Miller in on either side, in one of the greediest incidents I've seen in a while. Chapman should've subbed him immediately. Flynn had a great shot straight at the goalkeeper, Cuddihy had a clear chance from the edge of the box but sliced wide. At one point Chapman turned round and said "Chances, chances, chances" and he wasn't wrong, we've not had many games where we've created (or gifted may be more accurate) as many CLEAR opportunities for a while.

Then, Nicoll gives away a daft free kick on the edge of the box. Looked like a good save from Currie given that it was the wall's side, absolutely no-one following in except Berwick players. Third goal was a tired effort from the defence.

We'll see how today ends up being seen after a few other games. We may well nick a couple of undeserved wins where we don't have that many chances. Unlikely until that absolute midden of a back-line is sorted though, there's not a team in the world that should've conceded three goals today. McNiff was actually fine, certainly takes little blame for the result. Breslin is literally being babysat through games by Nicoll. Nicoll is playing guys onside constantly by sitting so deep and made individual errors that in fairness, he's not been prone to in other matches. Watching Home try to defend a one-two with space behind him is painful, it literally induces physical agony. It's a direct by product of him playing that few yards further forward. Chapman has never been a manager who gets results by defending, so I've no idea why we're playing players like him as a wing-back when he offers nothing going forward except winning a header or two. Stewart not much better going forward but our left-side is clearly not going to be targeted as much by the opposition.

Midfield are always going to struggle to influence games. We're clearly (and it's been obvious since the Airdrie game), going to play a direct style. I thought today was Flynn's best game so far this season and he was at least getting back into dangerous positions. Cuddihy was just plain rubbish, constantly picking the wrong pass. 

Football is horrendous. No away wins since October (and that was against Brora). We've got the best player in the division, probably only for the one years maximum, and we've absolutely no aspirations to be challenging for the title in a year where the rest of the division is poor.  Embarrassing.

2 hours ago, Solway Star said:

He was at East Kilbride FC briefly at the start of last season and I think Craigiemack was being sarcastic when he made this post.  Smart only made one appearance that I saw then vanished.

Untitled4.jpg

We'll not have a better chance than that of a straightforward 3 points all season. Really, Berwick did very little throughout the game and I didn't see them rampaging through midfield at any point; they were atrocious in possession and caught under the high ball time and time again at the back. It was like watching a team of Jack Breslins. They'll rightly be delighted with their win, and Irving took his goals well, but they're in for a tough season. As of course, are we.
Regarding Clyde I was on the verge of being reasonably positive at the break, without us playing particularly well. Got the opening goal from an excellent run by Goodwillie, could've got a second when Osadolor's shot was well saved, should've got a second when Goodwillie fired against the 'keeper. Most pleasing of all though, we didn't look close to conceding a goal. It's laughable to suggest Nicoll gets passmarks when he was, at least partly, at fault for two goals. The equaliser saw a couple of team-mates shirk responsibility and feed the ball back to him but his attempted pass was hopeless. Still on the halfway line though. We had our back three behind the ball; drop and protect the width of the box. We didn't protect one side of the box (Breslin's side) and the resulting shot was a good one.
Second half and again you wouldn't say we played well. Created chances consistently though and Goodwillie, who created a few for himself, was the main culprit in missing them. Osadolor hit a shot against the sole defender, with Goodwillie/Miller in on either side, in one of the greediest incidents I've seen in a while. Chapman should've subbed him immediately. Flynn had a great shot straight at the goalkeeper, Cuddihy had a clear chance from the edge of the box but sliced wide. At one point Chapman turned round and said "Chances, chances, chances" and he wasn't wrong, we've not had many games where we've created (or gifted may be more accurate) as many CLEAR opportunities for a while.
Then, Nicoll gives away a daft free kick on the edge of the box. Looked like a good save from Currie given that it was the wall's side, absolutely no-one following in except Berwick players. Third goal was a tired effort from the defence.
We'll see how today ends up being seen after a few other games. We may well nick a couple of undeserved wins where we don't have that many chances. Unlikely until that absolute midden of a back-line is sorted though, there's not a team in the world that should've conceded three goals today. McNiff was actually fine, certainly takes little blame for the result. Breslin is literally being babysat through games by Nicoll. Nicoll is playing guys onside constantly by sitting so deep and made individual errors that in fairness, he's not been prone to in other matches. Watching Home try to defend a one-two with space behind him is painful, it literally induces physical agony. It's a direct by product of him playing that few yards further forward. Chapman has never been a manager who gets results by defending, so I've no idea why we're playing players like him as a wing-back when he offers nothing going forward except winning a header or two. Stewart not much better going forward but our left-side is clearly not going to be targeted as much by the opposition.
Midfield are always going to struggle to influence games. We're clearly (and it's been obvious since the Airdrie game), going to play a direct style. I thought today was Flynn's best game so far this season and he was at least getting back into dangerous positions. Cuddihy was just plain rubbish, constantly picking the wrong pass. 
Football is horrendous. No away wins since October (and that was against Brora). We've got the best player in the division, probably only for the one years maximum, and we've absolutely no aspirations to be challenging for the title in a year where the rest of the division is poor.  Embarrassing.

Pretty depressing stuff but brutally honest David

I was at game today and I admit a slight Berwick bias. Thought the first half was fairly even, although I thought Berwick played slightly the better football. Goodwillie however was the difference, scoring a goal out of nothing where he was never favourite. (Thought he was dangerous throughout). Irving's equaliser was well taken after a good break and pass by murrell.

second half was scrappier and Clyde were better side in my opinion. Again goodwillie was a real threat although he was profligate with some chances. 

2nd goal for Berwick was a decent free kick and follow up by murrell. Irving's second and berwicks 3rd was a decent goal.

Berwick's win was perhaps a bit fortunate, certainly Clyde will feel they deserved a draw, but the old story you need to take your chances..

With goodwillie I'm sure Clyde will win more than they lose. Thought the Clyde number 9 (?) was good at the back.

Archived