Dynamic Pricing

7 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Supermarket app on your phone, QR code for each item. Scan it and get the current price from a dynamic database....

IMO

I never had you marked down as such a nerd. No wonder your missus puts it about so much. 

These youngsters have missed out on the thrill of swapping all the price labels on stuff in the supermarket. I used to save my mum a few quid as a wee boy by swapping price labels on items for cheaper ones. 

8 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Only time I really go to the supermarket is to grab some cold coffee milk drink things very early in the morning before the gym opens

16 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I started on Red Bull as a youngster, mixing it with tequila and vodka (TVR) then moved on to things like the above.

Gym must have been more fun when you were a youngster

They've been using electronic SELs (shelf edge labels for those not in the biz) on the continent for years and the world is yet to tilt off its axis. 

As someone whose job duties at times included the drudgery of replacing every single SEL in a shop, I'm sure some people out there would welcome the change (as they queue up outside the dole office). 

That was just my theory on how it could work. Sounds like a pile of shite though tbh. No need.

Mind years and tears ago some shop trialled going round with a scanner and scanning stuff as you got it, then you just paid on the way out with no need for checkouts. Wonder why that never took off.

Tesco have scan as you shop in a number of there stores

44 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

As they're a complete waste of time. Seems to be more often than not you see c***s happily scooting sound the shop with a smug face, scanning as they go, thinking "ah ha, I'll just whizz through the checkout as I've scanned all my shopping already" only to see them being stopped for a "random" check and have all of their shopping scanned by the fat grumpy supervisor.

Any rescan I've had has been 3 or 4 items lifted out and scanned to make sure that they have been scanned already.

If they have they say fine adn it done, takes under a minute and still quicker than checkouts.

23 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Do people still go to shops? Has nobody told them about the internet?

Supermarket's are multifunctional. I get my shopping. I like browsing in the alcohol section. It counts as a family fun activity because my daughter is young and thinks it's fun; plus she gets a free apple

They should actually charge us to enter. It's better than softplay.

Safeway did this 15 years ago. Remember the one in Livingston having led strips with the pricing on it. Never seemed to take off thought. Was probably down to cost back then whereas now it will be cheaper to install. Can't see shoppers being happy that their shopping is more expensive on a Saturday than a Tuesday though. It will more be used to save money on staff printing and changing tickets every week.

Could be a good idea to reverse the trend of us becoming a nation of fat fuckers.  Combine the dynamic pricing with some sort of weight pad in front of the shelves.

Stand in front of the chocolate bars - weight = 10 stone, chocolate bars 40p each.  Weight = 15 stone, same bars, £3 Each.  Weight = 20stone+, cost is £10 each.

Who's got the number for Dragon's Den or the Patents Office?

2 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Could be a good idea to reverse the trend of us becoming a nation of fat fuckers.  Combine the dynamic pricing with some sort of weight pad in front of the shelves.

Stand in front of the chocolate bars - weight = 10 stone, chocolate bars 40p each.  Weight = 15 stone, same bars, £3 Each.  Weight = 20stone+, cost is £10 each.

Who's got the number for Dragon's Den or the Patents Office?

That was my idea. Hands off

They were talking about doing this in some Petrol Stations a couple of months back.

More expensive at peak times ie before 9am & after 5pm - when everyone wants to fill up.

Cheaper during the day - when hardly anyone does.

Though they would catch you out by being able to increase the price if the pumps became busy.

Just an excuse to rip you off even more.

17 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

An LCD digital display price below the item or an 'average price' fixed label below which may have changed by the time the barcode was scanned at the till

This would definitely not result in lots of angry customers and Facebook rants.

Archived