Sportscene Watch 19/20

I wasn’t ready for Dick Campbell [emoji38]

Scottish fitba is great.

Aye, brilliant stuff. The way he backed off the ref a bit, then his legs started up again and he went back for a second bite.... ace.

Don't mind the format although you'd like to think BBC Scotland could manage to get a few more cameras to the games for what is one of the highlights of the Scottish Football calendar for many and one of the few times we have Saturday night highlights. Even borrowing cameras and operators from other parts of the BBC or independent contractors. They could probably even use clubs own footage for the main camera and use their own for a second angle behind one goal? As discussed earlier though, they really aren't that interested as shown by the lack of coverage of the prior rounds (The English FA Cup early rounds even get shown live on BBC Scotland when there are going to be even fewer people genuinely interested in the teams involved).

The main beef is with showing Celtic as a featured game and the first one at that. Once they'd decided to use the multi camera set up there, it had to be a main game but once it was clear there was no shock why not stick it on nearer the end? Again when comparing it to MotD when they show the FA Cup, they have featured multi-camera games and then round-ups but they'll generally put on the most interesting featured match on first then a round up of any shocks then another featured game, and so on. They wouldn't have shown (for example) Man City put 5 past Yeovil at home as their first game even if it was a featured game.

As for Dunfermline v Morton being a poor pick, I can only assume they asked around a few places and the Pars were one of the few who said they were definitely going to be playing? No point sending the trucks and satellites etc to a ground only for it to bite the dust at 2 pm leaving no time to head elsewhere.

Don't mind the format although you'd like to think BBC Scotland could manage to get a few more cameras to the games for what is one of the highlights of the Scottish Football calendar for many and one of the few times we have Saturday night highlights. Even borrowing cameras and operators from other parts of the BBC or independent contractors. They could probably even use clubs own footage for the main camera and use their own for a second angle behind one goal? As discussed earlier though, they really aren't that interested as shown by the lack of coverage of the prior rounds (The English FA Cup early rounds even get shown live on BBC Scotland when there are going to be even fewer people genuinely interested in the teams involved).

The main beef is with showing Celtic as a featured game and the first one at that. Once they'd decided to use the multi camera set up there, it had to be a main game but once it was clear there was no shock why not stick it on nearer the end? Again when comparing it to MotD when they show the FA Cup, they have featured multi-camera games and then round-ups but they'll generally put on the most interesting featured match on first then a round up of any shocks then another featured game, and so on. They wouldn't have shown (for example) Man City put 5 past Yeovil at home as their first game even if it was a featured game.

As for Dunfermline v Morton being a poor pick, I can only assume they asked around a few places and the Pars were one of the few who said they were definitely going to be playing? No point sending the trucks and satellites etc to a ground only for it to bite the dust at 2 pm leaving no time to head elsewhere.
That's helluva clever sending satellites to football grounds.

The Master is arguing that the Celtic game needed to get lots of airtime because it had been chosen to be featured, As if that bit is inevitable and set in stone.

THAT'S THE FUCKING PROBLEM!

And yes, I am shouting.  That was easily the very least attractive of all the ties.  To feature it at such length from the start of the show is utterly, utterly indefensible.

We resent, but understand that there are reasons why Sky and BT pander to them in this way, but the BBC needn't.  Instead, it decides to anyway.  It's genuinely shameful.

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The Master is arguing that the Celtic game needed to get lots of airtime because it had been chosen to be featured, As if that bit is inevitable and set in stone.

THAT'S THE FUCKING PROBLEM!

And yes, I am shouting.  That was easily the very least attractive of all the ties.  To feature it at such length from the start of the show is utterly, utterly indefensible.

We resent, but understand that there are reasons why Sky and BT pander to them in this way, but the BBC needn't.  Instead, it decides to anyway.  It's genuinely shameful.

Well, yes, I am arguing that. They made the decision to send multi-cameras OB and on-site commentators to both Celtic v Brechin and Dunfermline v Morton which meant that no matter what happened (convincing wins, drab 0-0s, whatever) they were getting 15 minutes or so of highlights and 5 minutes or so of analysis each (same with Aberdeen v St Mirren, but that was shown live earlier in the day so is a bit different). Which means effectively yes, Celtic and Dunfermline being “featured” was set in stone as soon as the cameras were set up and ready. 

So the argument shouldn’t about the amount of coverage they got last night, it’s about choosing the game to be “featured” in the first place. It’s a subtle but important difference.

I made the point further up that the last non-televised Celtic home game in the Scottish Cup was vs. Arbroath in 2012/13. That had a couple of cameras, and got 2-minute “voiceover” highlights, which means it isn’t always the case that the Old Firm are pandered to. And as I also pointed out further up, Aberdeen v St Mirren was chosen as the BBC’s live game when Celtic v Brechin was sitting there on a plate for them.

Dare I also point out that it’s not uncommon for football highlights shows to lead with high-scoring games, regardless of how predictable they are. MOTD (which seems to be the benchmark according to some on here) routinely leads with Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool etc. winning 4/5/6-0 at home to relegation-threatened teams.

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

the commentary on the short highlights annoys the hell out of me.  Why do they need to tell you what's just about to happen?  

Because it’s reporting, not commentary.

It’s a style that’s been used for years by many broadcasters.