East Fife vs Peterhead Challenge Cup

NewBlue

An almost replay of the League cup but I don't expect us to win this one. Jim has said that we will be playing a second string team as we are not taking the competition seriously due to colt teams. Be a good run out for fitness for some players though so I expect Dikobo, Cairney and McLean to probably start.

Jim always tells it like it is & must admit I agree with him, its bad enough they push the Colt teams in this cup rather than having extra places for Highland/Lowland League clubs. The powers that be are just getting us to accept Colts into the league structure eventually which I totally disagree with, why should some clubs possibly have two teams in the leagues when some that would like the opportunity could be denied places by their inclusion.

There was no denying we rode our luck at times last night but also given that over half the team have not really had game time this season yet it was a gamble that paid off handsomely. The new left back is as we knew a good bit away from match sharpness but hopefully that will come. Good to see Marc Lawrence & Scott Adams play ok & both get a goal. Fraser Hobday did well in goal & noticed last night that Jason Brown was taking charge of things & geeing players up which is something that has been missing for some time. Just hope we avoid a Colt team in the draw as while thinking the original idea of this cup giving smaller teams a chance of silverware was good I will not be attending any games involving colt teams as this is being used to get acceptance of them gaining league places.

I thought, despite the scoreline, East Fife played ok.

Keeper howler seconds into the match was awful, but some of the play from us was decent.  Wilkie getting a full 90 minutes and Lamont getting a run out were huge plusses.  Hurst looked a good prospect again, as was Kieran Millar.

Couple of meaty challenges in the first half might have seen a red shown.   The mutant who sits behind me was adamant Peterhead should have been down to 8 men.  He is the biggest arsehole I've ever encountered at a football match however and his wild screams of "last man" were amusing.

Good luck to the Blue Toon in the next round, and massive kudos to the guys making that trip on a Tuesday night.

1 hour ago, WullieBroonIsGod said:

I thought, despite the scoreline, East Fife played ok.

Keeper howler seconds into the match was awful, but some of the play from us was decent.  Wilkie getting a full 90 minutes and Lamont getting a run out were huge plusses.  Hurst looked a good prospect again, as was Kieran Millar.

Couple of meaty challenges in the first half might have seen a red shown.   The mutant who sits behind me was adamant Peterhead should have been down to 8 men.  He is the biggest arsehole I've ever encountered at a football match however and his wild screams of "last man" were amusing.

Good luck to the Blue Toon in the next round, and massive kudos to the guys making that trip on a Tuesday night.

Our new Left Back was possibly fortunate to see the hour mark before being taken off, we knew he was well behind in fitness only coming in last week & don't know when his last actual game was so hopefully his timing will improve with games. With the changes we made last night we have to be happy with the win.

Have you had any problems with your pitch, a few said before the start it seemed to be poor for its type & a few players seemed to struggle to keep their feet just wondered if it had been a problem.

Not noticed anything in particular.  Think last night was only the 5th game played on it.  Have no idea how these pitches are meant to "settle", but have heard others say it takes some time to bed in

Not sure how much training the team do on it as there is a training pitch over the back

1 hour ago, WullieBroonIsGod said:

Not noticed anything in particular.  Think last night was only the 5th game played on it.  Have no idea how these pitches are meant to "settle", but have heard others say it takes some time to bed in

Not sure how much training the team do on it as there is a training pitch over the back

Fair enough boots may have been the problem although the astro pitches are becoming more & more common so they should know what is required.. Not sure offhand but somebody probably knows how many clubs are now using this surface in the SPFL

Only receiving good comments re the pitch. Like all others of its type it will bed down a bit yet. Players have trained on it twice a week since mid-July & will do so until moving to the Oriam in Edinburgh in two weeks time. Community use starts first week in September with bookings already looking good.

Archived