Bruce Forsyth

H Wragg

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

You are only auld if you remember the white dot that got smaller and smaller after you switched the TV off (manually of course).

Yes and the playing of the National Anthem. 

Bring it back I say.

Be a fitting tribute. 

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

When one of them pops, there will be a rush to the Deadpool to post something along the lines of "Christ, there's only one of them".

They both died years ago. When Bernie died, there was a joke about Schnornitz going solo.

But on the subject of Saint Brucie, as we begin the week of national mourning I'm glad to find that I'm not the only person who couldn't stand him. He always had to be the big man in the room and hated to share the limelight - on the news last night they showed a clip of one of his shows where he got a contestant's name wrong (he called her Phyllis and she said she preferred Phyl with a Y, which is fair enough) and he said she was a troublemaker. No doubt that was meant to be funny but he came across as resenting the fact that she wasn't in awe of his every word.

And as for running on stage and shouting, "Nice to see you, to see you.. " and letting the audience finish it for him. I'd love to have seen the audience remain quiet just to find out what he would have done.

Just now, GordonD said:

They both died years ago. When Bernie died, there was a joke about Schnornitz going solo.

But on the subject of Saint Brucie, as we begin the week of national mourning I'm glad to find that I'm not the only person who couldn't stand him. He always had to be the big man in the room and hated to share the limelight - on the news last night they showed a clip of one of his shows where he got a contestant's name wrong (he called her Phyllis and she said she preferred Phyl with a Y, which is fair enough) and he said she was a troublemaker. No doubt that was meant to be funny but he came across as resenting the fact that she wasn't in awe of his every word.

And as for running on stage and shouting, "Nice to see you, to see you.. " and letting the audience finish it for him. I'd love to have seen the audience remain quiet just to find out what he would have done.

Oh shut up. Brucie's utter disdain for the riff raff contestants was his best quality.

If any of the younger folk want to experience the joy of watching the BBC shut down for the night, there seems to be some kind of YouTube community dedicated to uploading clips of it happening. Growing up down south, I always found STV's Late Call very strange, thought apparently it's "much valued and missed", according to Wiki.

On the subject of old TVs, we had one with buttons for each channel, and little nubbins you'd turn to tune each channel individually, so you could watch ITV on channel 1 if you wanted (you rebel). Problem was, the nubbins were located in the middle of the back, so you'd have to lie on the floor behind the TV to tune it. Bit of a pisser if you lived on your own, I'd have thought.

Anyway, back to Brucie...was he the last living tap dancer?

14 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

If any of the younger folk want to experience the joy of watching the BBC shut down for the night, there seems to be some kind of YouTube community dedicated to uploading clips of it happening. Growing up down south, I always found STV's Late Call very strange, thought apparently it's "much valued and missed", according to Wiki.

Rikki Fulton killed Late Call.

From Tom Shield's Diary column in the Herald....

We hear of a pub in Milngavie where the regulars' enjoyment of sporting broadcasts is occasionally spoiled by the fact that the sound on the telly intermittently comes and goes. Normal service is usually restored by the barmaid thumping vigorously on the side of the TV. The barmaid came into the bar to find an old firm game on, but no sound emanating from the TV. She proceeded to use her TV repair skills only to be asked by her customers to desist from her bashing as it was kind of spoiling the effect of the minute's silence for Jim Baxter. 

1 minute ago, Glenconner said:

Rikki Fulton killed Late Call.

They should've played up to it and found some real liquored-up nutters to put on. Folk would have stayed up just for that.

Just now, BigFatTabbyDave said:

They should've played up to it and found some real liquored-up nutters to put on. Folk would have stayed up just for that.

Think one of the reasons it was dropped was because they couldn't get the clergy to go on it in the end. Sky TV is full of religious rockets most of them American. Though i did watch an Islamic channel one night were somebody phoned up to ask if it was okay to jump your missus when she was making the dinner.

Late Call, eat your heart out.

Btw, the answer was yes for all you nosey chunts.

Archived