Scotland Squad

Mon_The_Bairns

SCOTLAND SQUAD FOR FINAL WORLD CUP TESTS Wednesday, 28 Sep 2005

Walter Smith has made three enforced changes to the Scotland squad for the final round of World Cup qualifiers, after injury forced Jackie McNamara, Rab Douglas and Brian O'Neil out of contention.

The players to come in are Callum Davidson of Preston, who won his last cap three years ago, Celtic's Shaun Maloney and Aberdeen goalkeeper Ryan Esson.

Scotland start with a sell-out clash against Belarus at Hampden Park on Saturday, 8 October, kick-off 3 pm, then travel to face Slovenia in Celje on Wednesday, 12 October. The players know that only two victories will be enough to give Scotland a chance of reaching the play-offs, and even then they depend on Norway dropping points.

SCOTLAND SQUAD

Goalkeepers

Ryan Esson (Aberdeen)

Craig Gordon (Heart of Midlothian)

David Marshall (Celtic)

Defenders

Graham Alexander (Preston North End)

Russell Anderson (Aberdeen)

Gary Caldwell (Hibernian)

Steven Caldwell (Sunderland)

Christian Dailly (West Ham United)

Steven Pressley (Heart of Midlothian)

Andy Webster (Heart of Midlothian)

David Weir (Everton)

Midfield

Callum Davidson (Preston North End)

Barry Ferguson (Rangers)

Darren Fletcher (Manchester United)

Paul Hartley (Heart of Midlothian)

Neil McCann (Southampton)

Lee McCulloch (Wigan Athletic)

Ian Murray (Rangers)

Nigel Quashie (Southampton)

Forwards

Craig Beattie (Celtic)

James McFadden (Everton)*

Shaun Maloney (Celtic)

Kenny Miller (Wolverhampton W.)

Garry O'Connor (Hibernian)

Steven Thompson (Rangers)

* Suspended against Belarus

Basically what we would have expected other than mcnamara who is out injured being replaced by davidson.

Presumably either Ian Murray or Calum Davidson will play on the left with Alexander on the right.

With Hearts going so well just now I wonder if Robbie Neilson's close to increasing their international contingent. He seems to me to be every bit as good a player as Graeme Alexander. Any thoughts?

Who do you reckon will come in to the team to replace Jackie Mac?

694951[/snapback]

Christian Dailly, replaced McNamara v Moldova and played on the right, which still enables Weir, Webster & Pressley to play in a back 3

Guest Spanky Rodriguez

I don't want to sound really boring but does anybody have any idea why Steven Thompson is in the squad again? It's like one of life's unsolves mysteries. Where is Lord Lucan? What happened on the Mary Celeste? Why does Steven Thompson constantly get picked for Scotland? The lad has seen less action than Cliff Richard.

However it's good to see that Paul Dickov never got picked. I don't know if he's injured or not but it's good to see that he's not in the squad. We've enough bother with McFadden getting himself into bother without having to worry about Dickov.

Thompson apart the squad for me looks fine and Walters doing a great job anyway so i'm sure he knows better than what i do. C'mon the lads.

Starting 11 for next Saturday.

GK - Gordon

CB - Steven Pressley

CB - David Weir

CB - Andy Webster

RWB - Christian Dailly

LWB - Graeme Alexander

CM - Darren Fletcher

CM - Barry Ferguson

CM - Nigel Quashie

AM - Paul Hartley

CF - Kenny Miller

Also Neil McCann getting picked again, the guy hasn't played for his club for nearly 8 months yet he is still picked. Granted he did alright when he came on against Norway but I'll never forgive him for the way he played against Wales last year.

As for Saturday and wednesday we have to go for it so no 4-5-1. How about going for it and playing a 3-5-2. With Miller & Beattie up front

Guest Spanky Rodriguez
Maybe I'm missing something but Steven Thomson?!?!?!?!?!?!  Eh, Steven Thomson?!?!?!?!

Who's he shagging?!?!?!?

:angry:

696012[/snapback]

I'm almost certain that he's got pictures of Walter, Tommy Burns & Coisty in a 3 in a bed, gay cocaine romp. Either that or he makes a cracking cup of tea.

I've come into contact with Thompson outside a Dundee nightclub (I know i'm a classy guy) and I can confirm that he's an arrogant twAt as well as being shite at football.

I've come into contact with Thompson outside a Dundee nightclub (I know i'm a classy guy) and I can confirm that he's an arrogant twAt as well as being shite at football.

696025[/snapback]

I met him when he was at Dundee United and they were on their Christmas night out in Glasgow. I can also confirm that he is a grade A plum, as is Charlie Miller (both thought they were cock of the walk!)

I'm almost certain that he's got pictures of Walter, Tommy Burns & Coisty in a 3 in a bed, gay cocaine romp. Either that or he makes a cracking cup of tea.

696025[/snapback]

Nah, I'm telling you it's incriminating photos of someone high up in the sfa cos he's continually made squads without any plausible justification under a number of managers. The pressure comes from on high, it's the only explanation.

From that squad, and given the fact Faddy misses the Belarus game, I wouldn't be surprised to see Walter going back to the 4-1-4-1 system that he used against Italy, although I can't see how he'd fit Webster, Weir and Pressley into that :unsure:

4-1-4-1

Gordon

G.Caldwell Pressley Weir Alexander

Dailly

Hartley Fletcher Ferguson Quashie

Miller

3-5-1-1

Gordon

Webster Weir Pressley

G.Caldwell/Dailly Fletcher Ferguson Quashie Alexander

Hartley

Miller