The Gretna 2008 Thread

gretnascotty

Well a defeat yesterday but in all honesty not a massive difference between the two teams.  

Gretna were forced into 2 changes pre-match with number 1 goalkeeper Jim Atkinson away for a family engagement & Iain Anderson out due to the same.  In came Graeme Wright our goalkeeping coach/player & in all honesty he had a nightmare yesterday, wrong footed for the first goal & he gifted Rose they’re second with a calamitous error after he had a chance to clear it.  A fantastic strike from Dan Orsi got us back into the game, but just as Gretna looked like possibly getting an equaliser or at least going in 2-1 down at the break we conceded another poor goal on the stroke of half time, poor positioning by our left back left two Rose players through on goal & a smart finish from they’re number 7 Dylan Patterson put us 3-1 down at Half Time.

In the second half Rose’s strength in depth told.  I didn’t think we looked like getting back into the game & our body language wasn’t great, we had the wind with us but any time we got the ball into they’re half we seemed to always play the ball backwards rather than forward.  I thought Rose managed the game well & fully deserved they’re win.

Having said all that i truly believe Linlithgow Rose will eventually find themselves in the promotion race & i don’t think we disgraced ourself yesterday especially with 2 key players out, 1 of them being our captain.  A new signing unveiled yesterday evening with Greg McCaragher coming in, a versatile player who has played at a higher level & brings not only quality but experience to the squad is going to be a real boost to us.

Still if you would have said after 4 games we’d be sitting with 2 wins & 2 defeats we would have taken that! Roll on Celtic B next Saturday!

I'm pleased to read that's not Gretna's usual keeper, because he was really out of his depth.

The goals aside there wasn't much between the teams. In his post-match interview Rose's manager said he told the team at half time to hold what they had and see the game out, which is a testament to how far Gretna have come since the sides last met.

Some clubs that didn't expect to be in a relegation battle are going to get the fear soon.

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

I'm pleased to read that's not Gretna's usual keeper, because he was really out of his depth.

The goals aside there wasn't much between the teams. In his post-match interview Rose's manager said he told the team at half time to hold what they had and see the game out, which is a testament to how far Gretna have come since the sides last met.

Some clubs that didn't expect to be in a relegation battle are going to get the fear soon.

Our number 1 is Jim Atkinson, formerly of QOS, he’s also our captain & we were missing our main goal threat & centre forward Iain Anderson.

Wrighto who was in goals yesterday has came back to the club for a 2nd spell is a coach & backup to Jim.  He didn’t have a good game yesterday but he’s not comfortable playing the ball out from the back, he’s a good keeper or certainly was back when he played for us in about 2012/2013.  

You could kind of tell that’s what you boys were doing in the 2nd half, you comfortably & professionally saw the game out.

• 2 weeks later...

Well done Gretna. I thought they had a good chance of winning (not 6-1), when I saw the Hearts team.

They were missing 5, due to injury, plus two away with the first team in Czechia. A couple of potential replacements were also away with Scotland U17s in Croatia.

Either way it would be a chastening experience for the youngsters, Jamie MacDonald and Liam Fox.

Based on early season form, Gretna certainly looks to have the wherewithal to avoid the drop once again, but who are now favourites for the trapdoor.

Fantastic performance from Gretna tonight, I thought we could get a result but was not expecting that result, a real statement win! Too many individual performances to mention but as a unit we were superb, fought tooth and nail for every ball, never stopped running & closing down.  We are a different team this season & are quickly shrugging off the whipping boys title.

The wins away from home have been built on grabbing a goal and being sturdy, rigid and hard to break down but tonight we were clinical! Iain Anderson with a deserved man of the match, but Sam Atkinson’s cameo in midfield off the bench was as good as i’ve seen, 2 assists and a wonder goal at the end, I’d seriously start him in the middle of the park this Saturday.

A few saying Hearts B were missing a few players, maybe so but they showed for 60 mins there still a very fast & shrewd side on the ball, we were just better and clinical on the night!

As I’ve mentioned there’s a real buzz around the club this season, this result has backed that up even more.

Only negative tonight was Motm Iain Anderson coming off injured with 10 mins to go, a possible knee injury according to the man himself so could be a spell on the sidelines for our man up top, hopefully its not as bad as first feared, fingers crossed!

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Well done Gretna. I thought they had a good chance of winning (not 6-1), when I saw the Hearts team.

They were missing 5, due to injury, plus two away with the first team in Czechia. A couple of potential replacements were also away with Scotland U17s in Croatia.

Either way it would be a chastening experience for the youngsters, Jamie MacDonald and Liam Fox.

Based on early season form, Gretna certainly looks to have the wherewithal to avoid the drop once again, but who are now favourites for the trapdoor.

Only 2 changes to their starting 11 from the weekend though!

8 hours ago, gretnascotty said:

Fantastic performance from Gretna tonight, I thought we could get a result but was not expecting that result, a real statement win! Too many individual performances to mention but as a unit we were superb, fought tooth and nail for every ball, never stopped running & closing down.  We are a different team this season & are quickly shrugging off the whipping boys title.

The wins away from home have been built on grabbing a goal and being sturdy, rigid and hard to break down but tonight we were clinical! Iain Anderson with a deserved man of the match, but Sam Atkinson’s cameo in midfield off the bench was as good as i’ve seen, 2 assists and a wonder goal at the end, I’d seriously start him in the middle of the park this Saturday.

A few saying Hearts B were missing a few players, maybe so but they showed for 60 mins there still a very fast & shrewd side on the ball, we were just better and clinical on the night!

As I’ve mentioned there’s a real buzz around the club this season, this result has backed that up even more.

Only negative tonight was Motm Iain Anderson coming off injured with 10 mins to go, a possible knee injury according to the man himself so could be a spell on the sidelines for our man up top, hopefully its not as bad as first feared, fingers crossed!

Fantastic. After so so many negative comments aimed at Gretna 2008 pre season, well done everyone involved.