The Gretna 2008 Thread

gretnascotty

Even in England though where there has been a regional pyramid for years there are no real boundaries,

This season the big fight was Bishop Stortford being promoted and being placed in the Conference North

Bishop Stortford is right next to London Stansted Airport

Edited by Chris_the_rover

12 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

Even in England though where there has been a regional pyramid for years there are no real boundaries,

This season the big fight was Bishop Stortford being promoted and being placed in the Conference North

In England teams are moved across to balance the numbers. Promotion/relegation is sorted by the FA as far down as step 6, then based on the teams in each tier they decide on the make-up of the different leagues. That wouldn't be doable for Scotland. In England it already results in odd leagues geographically and they still have very significant population centres in the Midlands/North like Birmingham, East Midlands, Manchester, Merseyside, Newcastle and so on. Scotland's population is far more lobsided than England's. In Scotland this approach could easily mean Edinburgh teams end up in the Highland League. 

There are some things Scotland could copy from England, like the SFA forcing through more promotion and relegation. But fixed boundaries make sense for Scotland imo. 

Edited by Marten

What we have for the most part is a fuzzy set of boundaries so nobody gets too anal retentive about Kello and Threave being in the WoS, Tayport being in the Midlands and Nairn St Ninian plus a few others west of the Spey being in the north region for historical reasons, but overall everybody has a pretty good idea of who should be going where. Only thing on the horizon that could throw a spanner in the works in a big way would be Glasgow Wellington but I doubt the SoS will ever let them in as they seem to be quite happy being the D&G league.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

16 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

Well they should have no problem getting to away games in the north of the country...

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

What we have for the most part is a fuzzy set of boundaries so nobody gets too anal retentive about Kello and Threave being in the WoS,

Well no - Threave being in the WoS means that there are no boundaries whatsoever between that league and the SoS. It's just league choice by club preference.

Only thing on the horizon that could throw a spanner in the works in a big way would be Glasgow Wellington but I doubt the SoS will ever let them in as they seem to be quite happy being the D&G league.

Except when clubs slap-bang in the middle of D&G decide otherwise, which is definitely how a credible pyramid system should operate. 🤡

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

What we have for the most part is a fuzzy set of boundaries so nobody gets too anal retentive about Kello and Threave being in the WoS, Tayport being in the Midlands and Nairn St Ninian plus a few others west of the Spey being in the north region for historical reasons, but overall everybody has a pretty good idea of who should be going where. Only thing on the horizon that could throw a spanner in the works in a big way would be Glasgow Wellington but I doubt the SoS will ever let them in as they seem to be quite happy being the D&G league.

Absolute nonsense from start to finish as usual from you.

Where is this line between North and South to be drawn and who decides.

Sanquar is geographically North of Girvan, Dalmellington and Maybole. Moffat North of Girvan and Dalmellington.

So should Nithsdale and Uppers be made to join the West or Girvan, Maybole and Burntonians go South. 

Of course this South divide must run from coast to coast. Depending on where it runs some East Clubs would be required to move South.

It is still early days for our pyramid. It is still evolving, so to set something like geography in stone like some commandment is counter productive to it becoming a system where all clubs can grow.

Of course Threave should be tossed into the Solway for their act of heresy.

3 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Where is this line between North and South to be drawn and who decides.

Sanquar is geographically North of Girvan, Dalmellington and Maybole. Moffat North of Girvan and Dalmellington.

So should Nithsdale and Uppers be made to join the West or Girvan, Maybole and Burntonians go South. 

Of course this South divide must run from coast to coast. Depending on where it runs some East Clubs would be required to move South.

It is still early days for our pyramid. It is still evolving, so to set something like geography in stone like some commandment is counter productive to it becoming a system where all clubs can grow.

Of course Threave should be tossed into the Solway for their act of heresy.

Will the SOSL survive the next couple of seasons honestly?

I reckon the league will get disbanded and teams join East & West. The likes of Threave and the lack of quality and progression in the league it’s miles behind it’s competitors.

6 hours ago, JuniorRaver said:

Will the SOSL survive the next couple of seasons honestly?

I reckon the league will get disbanded and teams join East & West. The likes of Threave and the lack of quality and progression in the league it’s miles behind it’s competitors.

Can I ask, politely what you are basing your comment on?

I attend games at the 5 clubs in Kirkcudbrightshire and Wigtownshire.

They all appear to be doing well. The numbers attending are healthy, certainly not one man and his dog. 

There is also good involvement from the clubs at youth and colt levels. Different age groups and numbers of teams at each club.

Last season a few of the club's got coaches and players from Central Belt, it came with a loss of the local club feel. 

I think all the clubs have recruited more local and as a result there is more engagement from the communities. 

All 5 clubs are investing in their infrastructure and are all now SFA Entry Licence Holders.

Having only one division and playing same teams year on can become stagnant and I have applauded and attend regularly Threave Rovers for taking grasp of the opportunity when they did.

I do believe that 3 league's at Tier 6 is not conducive to a working pyramid.

But the solution is not to 'do away' with the SOSFL. This is why I believe all 3 league's below the 'Tay' should be working and talking together to develop our wee part of the system and ensure it remains healthy and relevant. 

From what I see and hear all 3 league's are doing well, to ensure that continues dialogue and yes change is sometimes a necessity.

#local football

What this thread needs now is a map of Luncarty with a line through it. It's that kind of jobsworth mentality that the SFA board have quite rightly wanted to avoid. Even the EoS and WoS were willing to be flexible on Harthill rather than consulting maps from surveyors of where the line is to the nearest centimetre. Don't think the SoS should be at tier 6 but it's a quirk we may just have to learn to live with.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

What this thread needs now is a map of Luncarty with a line through it. It's that kind of jobsworth mentality that the SFA board have quite rightly wanted to avoid. 

Utterly laughable to see you present the SFA board as the voice of dispassionate reason for developing functioning lower level game, given it was, err, CEO of the SFA Ian Maxwell who tried and failed to ram through a rigged tier 5 conference league literally two months ago. 

There is no evidence that the SFA are managing the development of the lower levels of the game for anything other than the self-interest of its officeholders and the Old Firm. 

46 minutes ago, virginton said:

Utterly laughable to see you present the SFA board as the voice of dispassionate reason for developing functioning lower level game, given it was, err, CEO of the SFA Ian Maxwell who tried and failed to ram through a rigged tier 5 conference league literally two months ago. 

There is no evidence that the SFA are managing the development of the lower levels of the game for anything other than the self-interest of its officeholders and the Old Firm. 

That'll be you on the ignore list.

12 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

That'll be you on the ignore list.

The thread clearly says GRETNA 2008 can you all please f**k off and take your petty squabbles elsewhere? The club has enough on its plate at present to my mind.

14 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

The thread clearly says GRETNA 2008 can you all please f**k off and take your petty squabbles elsewhere? The club has enough on its plate at present to my mind.

Aye plenty of threads about reconstruction etc.

4 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Can I ask, politely what you are basing your comment on?

I attend games at the 5 clubs in Kirkcudbrightshire and Wigtownshire.

They all appear to be doing well. The numbers attending are healthy, certainly not one man and his dog. 

There is also good involvement from the clubs at youth and colt levels. Different age groups and numbers of teams at each club.

Last season a few of the club's got coaches and players from Central Belt, it came with a loss of the local club feel. 

I think all the clubs have recruited more local and as a result there is more engagement from the communities. 

All 5 clubs are investing in their infrastructure and are all now SFA Entry Licence Holders.

Having only one division and playing same teams year on can become stagnant and I have applauded and attend regularly Threave Rovers for taking grasp of the opportunity when they did.

I do believe that 3 league's at Tier 6 is not conducive to a working pyramid.

But the solution is not to 'do away' with the SOSFL. This is why I believe all 3 league's below the 'Tay' should be working and talking together to develop our wee part of the system and ensure it remains healthy and relevant. 

From what I see and hear all 3 league's are doing well, to ensure that continues dialogue and yes change is sometimes a necessity.

#local football

The other day on the WOS forum you wanted SOS teams relegated to TEIR 11 ? Please don't answer are sarcasm.

12 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

The other day on the WOS forum you wanted SOS teams relegated to TEIR 11 ? Please don't answer are sarcasm.

50 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

I thought this was a Gretna thread? 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, annan4eva said:

Hence all the pages and pages of recent discussion about those issues by Gretna fans. Somehow I think they'll be fine navigating their way through the thread despite your concern. 

2 hours ago, annan4eva said:

Sorry, I didn't know this part of the Internet was so exclusive.

2 hours ago, annan4eva said:

So what division would your friends at Gretna be relegated into - South or West or East?

Edited by Shannon