Kezia Dugdale

Donathan

7 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

The latter, and how you would place the 30000 kids currently educated in the independent sector.

1. Scrap Trident.

2.  Go after tax evaders.

3.  Increase taxes for higher earners.

4. Stop then reverse cuts to Corporation Tax.

The vast majority of 30,000 kids could stay in their schools, however, as with any major change, thinks would not happen overnight there would need to be a transition.

I don't accept that we need a poorly funded/underfunded state educational system.  We are a rich country, not a poor one.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Granny Danger said:

1. Scrap Trident.

2.  Go after tax evaders.

3.  Increase taxes for higher earners.

4. Stop then reverse cuts to Corporation Tax.

The vast majority of 30,000 kids could stay in their schools, however, as with any major change, thinks would not happen overnight there would need to be a transition.

I don't accept that we need a poorly funded/underfunded state educational system.  We are a rich country, not a poor one.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I also don't think a private education is always a bad thing.

I do agree that more funding should be brought into bringing the standard in state schools up.

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I also don't think a private education is always a bad thing.

I do agree that more funding should be brought into bringing the standard in state schools up.

Private education is divisive and elitist.  State funded education will never be a priority whilst folk can opt out.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Private education is divisive and elitist.  State funded education will never be a priority whilst folk can opt out.

What difference is there between sending your kid to a £15k a year school, and buying an expensive house in an area with a highly rated state school? That's surely equally elitist and divisive? Private education also offers opportunities to some kids who simply couldn't cope in a state school (this is also the case with some teachers tbh!), while the boarding school system (in some cases) allows parents who work away to keep their children within the Scottish education system.

I agree that there is a huge amount of work to do, and serious focus needs to be put on the state sector, but the idea that private schools=bad all the time is simply not the case.

11 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

What difference is there between sending your kid to a £15k a year school, and buying an expensive house in an area with a highly rated state school? That's surely equally elitist and divisive? Private education also offers opportunities to some kids who simply couldn't cope in a state school (this is also the case with some teachers tbh!), while the boarding school system (in some cases) allows parents who work away to keep their children within the Scottish education system.

I agree that there is a huge amount of work to do, and serious focus needs to be put on the state sector, but the idea that private schools=bad all the time is simply not the case.

At the risk of being repetitive, this will not happen whilst there are opt out options.

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

And also at the risk of being repetitive, opt-out options may always be a necessary evil.

Maybe we can revisit this in 10 or 20 years time if private schools are still in existence and see if any greater imperative is being given to the state sector.

They should be nationalised. They help to lock in unearned advantages solely because of your parents' financial position, which is a morally unacceptable. Of course, it would not an instant fix to all our problems overnight, but I think it would be a step in the right direction. Ideally, I would also abolish catchment areas. 

They should be nationalised. They help to lock in unearned advantages solely because of your parents' financial position, which is a morally unacceptable. Of course, it would not an instant fix to all our problems overnight, but I think it would be a step in the right direction. Ideally, I would also abolish catchment areas. 

Yeah I'm with don and gd on this.

Not an easy thing to do and definitely creates some difficulties. But over time there would be much emphasis on state education if everyone had to use it. (Similar argument with the nhs but again, whole other thread required).

11 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Ideally, I would also abolish catchment areas. 

How do you decide what kids go to a school then?

I'm all for abolishing school league tables though, which only serve to create catchment area madness.

14 hours ago, Lurkst said:

How do you decide what kids go to a school then?

I'm all for abolishing school league tables though, which only serve to create catchment area madness.

It probably isn't desirable or even feasible to entirely do away with catchment areas; however, I do think that some relatively modest - but admittedly imperfect - reforms could possibly help to level the playing field somewhat for children from underprivileged backgrounds, and hopefully make it tougher for wealthier parents to 'game' the system. 

Some places, especially at high-demand, high-attaining schools, could be subject to a system of random allocation. I recall reading about a small number of high-achieving state comprehensives in England experimenting with an 'inner and outer' system, in an attempt to diversify their intakes; in short, pupils living very close to the school are protected and guaranteed acceptance, with others in an 'extended' catchment entering a ballot scheme. Banding, which the Sutton Trust has produced some work on over recent years, could be another possible path to look down. I fully acknowledge that there is no perfect solution, though. 

I would also imagine there being a fairly sizeable backlash from (predominantly middle-class) parents to experimenting with any such reforms. 

Kezia a 5/1 shot at the bookies to join the SNP, should make for some interesting reading on here if she does![emoji6]

If she does, she will find her true political level,making the tea and arranging the digestives at some meeting or other.

Archived