Tipping

Jmothecat2

2 hours ago, Angusfifer said:

Did you conduct a poll of some kind to support this statement?

Not entirely.

Years earlier Austria was not too keen on the idea but by 1938 Hitler made them an offer they could not refuse and guess what - they were all keen on the idea.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 18:46, ICTChris said:

Also, there used to be large communities of Germans all over Europe - the Volga Germans, the Sudetenland Germans. It wouldn't have been unusual for people at that time to consider themselves German but be born elsewhere or even to have never visited Germany.

.. and thanks to that lovely guy Joseph Stalin, there are almost a million people of German descent in Kazakhstan - which is more than in Russia. 

I found the tipping "culture" over here a bit weird to begin with, tipping a'bdy fir aathing..... but I'm more used to it now.

No need to tip bar staff as I don't go to bars these days, and I can pretty well work out the recommended 15% at a restaurant in my head so poor service will get EXACTLY 15% good will get it rounded up to something convenient.

On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 23:24, ayrmad said:

Out of interest how much per hour/week does everyone think taxi drivers/uber drivers/takeaway delivery drivers earn, people seem to have some misguided ideas of pay in these jobs.

f**k all in London.

DKUgcDZXcAExHys.jpg:large

• 2 weeks later...

As Mr. Pink famously said in Reservoir Dogs, I recently decided that" I don't tip", ever. Not because I'm an a**hole who doesn't want to, but because I try to pick the kinds of places on the expensive side lately. Gotten deep into Japanese and Vietnamese restaurants lately, and there can be pretty expensive places. Also, yes, sometimes the service is rude or they could care less about me, but that's before I don't tip, so to hell with them. So not only do they charge a lot, but they expect me to tip when they nearly tell me to f**ck off? Nope.

Tipped just over 20% at a restaurant the other night because food/service was excellent.  Woman came back out to check if we'd meant to leave that much.  :lol:

Then asked if we wanted a complimentary drink.  Got two measures of Bailleys bigger than ones we'd paid for elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Tipped just over 20% at a restaurant the other night because food/service was excellent.  Woman came back out to check if we'd meant to leave that much.  :lol:

Then asked if we wanted a complimentary drink.  Got two measures of Bailleys bigger than ones we'd paid for elsewhere.

McDonald's do alcohol nowadays?

Was in a caf with my daughter. I had a coffee and she had a juice ( a treat as she doesn't get sugar). The waitress gave her a big bucket of plastic animals to play with and kept high fiving on the way past. Allowed me to have my coffee in peace. Lovely lady

Went up to pay and she tried to give the wee one a chupa chup. I asked not to as she's only 2 and could choke, plus she doesn't get sugar. Got halfway home and looked in the buggy to see my daughter munching on a kitkat chunky. 

No more tips for her.

59 minutes ago, hk blues said:

McDonald's do alcohol nowadays?

They certainly do in Spain.  Have done for many years too.*

Nothong to do with my post but I hope that helps.

* Haven't been in a McDonalds here for decades but they certainly did when we brought the kids 30 years ago, a beer made the place tolerable.

32 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

They certainly do in Spain.  Have done for many years too.*

Nothong to do with my post but I hope that helps.

* Haven't been in a McDonalds here for decades but they certainly did when we brought the kids 30 years ago, a beer made the place tolerable.

Germany, France and Portugal too, apparently.  And Hong Kong...probably many other countries too, I'd expect.  Not in the UK though - times have obviously changed since you entered the Golden Arches.

Man pays money and receives beverages.

27 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Germany, France and Portugal too, apparently.  And Hong Kong...probably many other countries too, I'd expect.  Not in the UK though - times have obviously changed since you entered the Golden Arches.

When I said 'here' I meant Ibiza where I currently am.  Just been served a small beer but not McDonalds.

my barber charged £9 for a long time. It was a straightforward case of giving a tenner and not waiting for change.

It is now £9.50. I have tried letting them keep the change off a tenner and paying £10.50 but neither feels right.

What should i do?

(these are employees, not the owner)

5 hours ago, coprolite said:

my barber charged £9 for a long time. It was a straightforward case of giving a tenner and not waiting for change.

It is now £9.50. I have tried letting them keep the change off a tenner and paying £10.50 but neither feels right.

What should i do?

(these are employees, not the owner)

9 quid for a long time seems pretty cheap!  

Archived