St Mirren V Brechin

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Has anyone explained why the ref awarded a bounce up for a blatant foul yesterday?

He pulled the ball back too quickly when he saw a clash of heads that came to nothing, both players shook it off and carried on but he had already blown so had to give the bounce up. The issue came when it was clearly agreed that Steven McGinn would pass the ball back to Brechin's defence and let them come again at which point the Brechin player who was over the ball went into business for himself, contested it and just took it and started dribbling forward before McGinn could do anything.

I was 50% pissed off at the Brechin player doing this (purely because the body language of both players suggested that us passing it back was agreed upon) and 50% pissed off that we didn't just fucking contest the drop ball in a danger area when there was no-one in clear possession of the ball when the ref stopped play.

4 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Has anyone explained why the ref awarded a bounce up for a blatant foul yesterday?

I thought that a strange one as well although I don't know where you saw the foul. It was two guys going for a high ball with both falling to the ground after the challenge. 

There was another strange one not long after where Orsi was called offside in his own half.  Is there a new rule in place that we are unaware of ? 

What also riles us is that ALL the refs pull a yellow card out for the first hard challenge a Brechin player makes yet it takes at least an hour for the ref to even speak to the opposition for similar challenges.  

2 hours ago, Tetragrammaton said:

I, 4-1 think Morton should play the skunks every week!

What a bizarre post. Success for Morton is being in the championship so enjoy the good years while it lasts. St Mirren back where we belong next season. Never mind im sure the Renfrewshire cup will make a return to give you your BIG day out. 

2 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

What a bizarre post. Success for Morton is being in the championship so enjoy the good years while it lasts. St Mirren back where we belong next season. Never mind im sure the Renfrewshire cup will make a return to give you your BIG day out. 

I, 4-1, have no idea what you're gibbering about!

20 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

Bit of shit fest to be honest.

Brechin played well up to a point. They came and sat in until we scored then opened up a  bit. while we seemed to sit back, although Brechin did get more possession, they scored with their only chance in the whole game and while Orsi did well Sammy looked to be at fault. 

Second half Brechin sat back and packed the defence.  St Mirren plugged away with out doing anything great but eventually got the equaliser.

St Mirren not great but didn't need to be. Brechin at no point looked like they could snatch it and were there hanging on.

If I was a Brechin fan I'd be annoyed that they just sat in against an under par St Mirren and never really asked any questions. However, I think if Brechin had kept pushing forward then St Mirren would have picked them off.  However, you lost anyway so you might have made more of a game of it. 

We sat in for the first 10 mins of the second half as we did the first and weathered the expected onslaught and started hitting on the break as the Saints attacks were coming to nothing.  The first goal was basically Saints first serious shot on target and came after a slip by Spark let Smith in behind him. 

We definitely didn't just sit in for the entire match and the longer the match went with the scores level it could have gone any way as  the papers have highlighted today. 

As a Brechin fan I am just gutted that once again we matched a full time team but came away with nothing. 

15 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I thought that a strange one as well although I don't know where you saw the foul. It was two guys going for a high ball with both falling to the ground after the challenge. 

There was another strange one not long after where Orsi was called offside in his own half.  Is there a new rule in place that we are unaware of ? 

What also riles us is that ALL the refs pull a yellow card out for the first hard challenge a Brechin player makes yet it takes at least an hour for the ref to even speak to the opposition for similar challenges.  

The off side rule changed last year where if the player is offside, in the opposition half obviously, but then come back and touches the ball in his own half the free kick is taken from where he first touched the ball i.e. In his own half. 

It is bizarre and seems to try and sort something that was never an issue and only causes confusion. 

John Sutton was caught with this last season and our fans went daft when in fact the ref was absolutely right. 

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Gammy picking his spot to try and put the boot into us on the week we go back to the top of the league. 

What a blithering, backwards fucking idiot. :lol:

Hello chopsticks. I see all the rip-roaring fuckwit(s) are all out playing together,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,AGAIN! :whistle

I felt bad for Brechin yesterday as I thought they looked good for the point. If we played that game another eight times out of ten they'd have come away with at least a draw.

The visitors were a lot more open in the first half than I expected. We didn't exploit space well enough and other than one or two neat passages of play we were very lackadaisical.  We looked like a team that just presumed we would win eventually.

Brechin's second half tactics were what I'd wrongly envisioned for the first half. They were compact, hunted in packs and made life extremely difficult for us.  Combined with Saints consistently failing to make simple five-yard passes made for a frustrating second half. Some could make the argument that the second goal was completely deserved but again, City were unlucky not to take something.

It might just be me but being top of the league is incidental to me right now. The fact that we look like credible candidates for a top four finish, making Saturdays enjoyable again and just heading in the right direction as a club is good enough for me at the moment. What happens, happens, but I think after that 5-0 hammering at Firhill in the Betfred Cup every St Mirren fan wouldn't believe we would be in this position at this stage. I'll take that. 

Archived