St Mirren V Brechin

Just now, McG said:

Brechin looked decent today, just lacking a decent striker and they could of won that today.

If we want to win that league then guys like Kirkpatrick and Stewart just won't do, they are nowhere near good enough.

We need another striker in January.

Yeah, precisely (as @Silvio also said a few posts back).

We've won more games than anyone else and are top of the league (simple, eh?!) but the chronic lack of depth up front will catch us out. 

On the flip side, Hilson is only just back, and we still have two of our best four players to come back (Magennis and Davis; McGinn and Morgan complete the four).

We are also managing to find goals from throughout the team. Again, it's difficult to count on that for a title bid. Strikers win titles. 

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with this.

Sutton made biggest difference today as soon as he came on - not sure why he didn't come on before Stewart

The manager has some issues with Sutton. He's only going to use him as a last resort, as we seen today.

Although the wasn't involved in the goal, John definitely changed the dynamic of the game when he came on. Reilly wasn't having any joy at all.

These ugly games wins will always happen in a good season. I remember very similar games happening when we won this league in 2000 and 2006.

Maybe we will win the league this year too. Certainly no reason why we can't. We aren't any good, but neither is anyone else.

38 minutes ago, McG said:

Brechin looked decent today, just lacking a decent striker and they could of won that today.

If we want to win that league then guys like Kirkpatrick and Stewart just won't do, they are nowhere near good enough.

We need another striker in January.

Today was not the day to judge the team let alone individual players. The run and cross Ross Stewart put in for Dale Hilson was a superb bit of play, the kid had no right to reach the ball. 

There's more to come from this squad with Gary Mac Kyle Magennis and Harry Davis all set to return to the squad soon.

IMG_1474.JPG

Brechin played well. Maybe deserved a draw. Looked like just lacking a midfielder and a striker.

We were poor. Struggled to get going, were a bit lethargic, slow and lacked desire. Never mind got the 3 points.

Referee was a dick as per, overly fussy and made some strange calls.

Our fans are ridiculous too. Guys giving a lad like Stewart pelters for every little thing after he came on. He has made a step up , needs to learn. He didn't play badly, others much worse. He might be the Mehmet of 2006!

Let's get a bit of a grip here, Brechin were stuffy and well organised but any problems they gave us were of our own making. 

We played very poorly but were still the better team. 

Stewart did ok when he came on and did really well with the cross for the goal and I think Sutton played his part at the near post to ensure the ball got to Hilson. 

Not sure what the point of signing Duffy was when he is quite clearly 5/6 choice striker at best. 

3 hours ago, 'Steve said:

How we still remain on only two points is beyond me. 

We deserve it.

I think I can offer you an explanation for that.

If you could get Smith to stop the faffing about and blatantly time-wasting at every goal kick you would probably have an extra 10 minutes of game time that could provide the opportunities to score the goals needed to win games.

Yes, I'm afraid you do deserve it.

2 hours ago, geo87 said:

Agree with this.

Sutton made biggest difference today as soon as he came on - not sure why he didn't come on before Stewart

As much as I like Sutton , he added nothing to our game today when he came on.

28 minutes ago, FTOF said:

As much as I like Sutton , he added nothing to our game today when he came on.

Thought he played a part in the goal - even if he didn't get a touch to the ball to help it on it's way across to Hilson, his presence helped put their defence and keeper out of position. Not enough to justify starting him though and he's not the magic bullet to our attacking options some seem to think.

If you could get Smith to stop the faffing about and blatantly time-wasting at every goal kick you would probably have an extra 10 minutes of game time that could provide the opportunities to score the goals needed to win games.

Bit harsh but the one where he claimed he couldn’t find the ball was laughable.

Did anyone else think the ball had gone out before Stewart hooked it across for the winner?

Definitely not. I sit in W1 and, bizarrely, RS's loss of control contributed to the goal. It seemed to flummox the defender who ran right in front of the keeper which meant Hilson has an easy tap-in at the back post.

We played poorly and won, that's what potential champions have always had to do.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Yet the only time the ref told anyone to hurry up and get on with it was with your keeper with about 5 mins to go .    Strange that !  :rolleyes:

Once again we come away astounded that we took nothing from a game which was there for the taking.  Football is cruel sometimes.  Two momentary lapses in concentration cost us dearly with two very softly conceded goals. 

I thought we more than matched Saints up until the last quarter when we started to run out of momentum. That second goal basically knocking the stuffing out of us. 

Finn Graham was excellent again in the middle of the park , very composed and determined to win any 50/50 . I think he gets better with each game he plays.  Our shape going forward was impressive too with Orsi and MacLennan putting in a power of work.  Orsi looked knackered when he went off but Ally Love was a very able replacement with arguably his best performance of the season so far. 

So many positives to take out of the game but unfortunately the ref and lino seemed determined not to see the "professional" pulling of jerseys and strangleholds at virtually every set piece we had.  I lost count of the times a Brechin player was literally thrown to the ground.  This seems to be  the way to defend in the  higher leagues  and possibly the reason why we concede so many as we are not "professional " enough.   I wonder if the refs will be as lenient with us if we start manhandling as blatantly ? 

Archived