Saying Goodbye To John Barleycorn

Sweet Pete

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Just under 4 months here. Christmas was a test, well done with that. Weird not making a c**t of myself at the works do. 

Well done you!

I must admit I did have a slight urge for a drink on Christmas Day but thankfully there was no booze in the house and nowhere was open.

2 hours ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

Deffo agree about the sweets though. Never had a sweet tooth but scoffing the big bags of buttons when i see them on the end of supermarket aisles.

You're supposed to pay for those.

• 1 month later...

I can’t remember posting on this thread before, but I have a similar story to OP in that with three young kids the thought of being hungover around them is horrific.

I’m not teetotal but I haven’t been drunk in five years. The last time I had an alcoholic drink was for the Scotland v England game at Euro 2021. I do enjoy a few non-alcoholic beers.

22 minutes ago, Tony Ferrino said:

P&B might have an official Llama if you'd stayed on the piss though.

@P and B Official Hamsteractually has a tragic story. She was an unwanted present so I was asked if I wanted to keep her.

I grew fond of the noisy b*****d, she's a nice wee hamster. I wanted P&B to be fond of her too.

If I had been asked to keep a neglected Llama then things might have been different.

7 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

@P and B Official Hamsteractually has a tragic story. She was an unwanted present so I was asked if I wanted to keep her.

I grew fond of the noisy b*****d, she's a nice wee hamster. I wanted P&B to be fond of her too.

If I had been asked to keep a neglected Llama then things might have been different.

There’s five Llamas down the way from me…hope one doesn’t nick my phone!

7 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

We stayed at llama rescue in Michigan - it’s an old farm that the owner’s converted the barns into AirBnb’s. You could just go and wander into their paddock, they’re very chill. 

From where do Llamas need to be rescued? Do people buy them as pets?

4 hours ago, velo army said:

From where do Llamas need to be rescued? Do people buy them as pets?

Amazingly, yes, some do. But, more often, it’s people who went into a business of raising llamas for wool or such, and failed. The problem is llamas live about 15 years, so when the business founders, you have to do something with the animals…and you can’t keep them in the average suburban back year. There was a spate of llama ponzu schemes a few years ago that kickstarted the rescue business.

Decided after a heavy few days over the Festive period to do dry January and it’s continued on into February now. Quite depressing when you get 2 days off work and the first day is spent in the pub from lunchtime onwards and the second day is spent feeling like utter shite. 

Don’t think I’ll be saying goodbye to Mr Barleycorn completely but seeing him less often is definitely on the cards. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been a really interesting thread to catch up on. I'll be 1,000 hangover-free mornings in a couple of weeks. I don't know if I was an alcoholic, and I'm not sure the term is all that useful anyway, but drink was definitely becoming a problem in my life, and the shiftiness I was developing in order to downplay that problem to those around me was turning me into someone I didn't particularly like. I couldn't remember the last time I'd actually enjoyed a drink, and listening to Lee Mack and Limmy's stories about stopping definitely helped me say cheerio to Mr B. First week was tough, since then I've been surprised by how much I don't miss it all. Ice cold ginger ale, as mentioned above, has been useful. Of course, this would've been a good conclusion to come to before I got a Tennent's T tattooed on my leg. Oh, well.

12 minutes ago, MSU said:

Been a really interesting thread to catch up on. I'll be 1,000 hangover-free mornings in a couple of weeks. I don't know if I was an alcoholic, and I'm not sure the term is all that useful anyway, but drink was definitely becoming a problem in my life, and the shiftiness I was developing in order to downplay that problem to those around me was turning me into someone I didn't particularly like. I couldn't remember the last time I'd actually enjoyed a drink, and listening to Lee Mack and Limmy's stories about stopping definitely helped me say cheerio to Mr B. First week was tough, since then I've been surprised by how much I don't miss it all. Ice cold ginger ale, as mentioned above, has been useful. Of course, this would've been a good conclusion to come to before I got a Tennent's T tattooed on my leg. Oh, well.

Labels are only labels, whether you choose to call yourself an alcoholic is upto you. The main thing is recognising that alcohol is a problem in your life and taking steps to address it. 

I found that I could never stop whenever I started drinking, and I usually ended up doing I regretted and/or experiencing intense anxiety (or "the fear" as it's commonly called). Stopping drinking alcohol is honestly the best thing I have ever done.

Congratulations on all of those hangover-free mornings. That's brilliant. 

1,642 days without drinking for me.

Feel quite chilled about it. I can be around alcohol quite easily without wanting to drink but I take the car to nights out or football to really prevent any temptation. 

I didn’t drink at the cup final in 2015 as I had a half marathon the next day so hopefully this is an omen.