Saying Goodbye To John Barleycorn

Sweet Pete

Ready to give myself a break from the drink now. Age, health concerns, money, relationships.....etc.

Bored with it and myself now. Don't feel motivated to engage with anyone unless I've had a couple.

I can polish off a 70cl bottle of spirits a day a few days a week and feel ok. I know that's far too much anyway and it's only going to get worse. 

Evening boredom. Need to break from shite evening tele, football and worrying about everything.

Too fat to run and tried walking. Swimming can f**k off. 

7 hours ago, Tony Ferrino said:

Ready to give myself a break from the drink now. Age, health concerns, money, relationships.....etc.

Bored with it and myself now. Don't feel motivated to engage with anyone unless I've had a couple.

I can polish off a 70cl bottle of spirits a day a few days a week and feel ok. I know that's far too much anyway and it's only going to get worse. 

Evening boredom. Need to break from shite evening tele, football and worrying about everything.

Cycling is the answer here.

10 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Cycling is the answer here.

Boxing training is good for this too.  I'm 7 months of drink last Wednesday. A few months before I stopped on 31st January I'd started boxing training Mondays and Wednesdays, but had dropped away as was just drinking far too much. A 2 day straight bender just tipped me over the edge and I thought what the f**k am I doing this for? Wasn't enjoying it anymore and it was just a habit. Went cold turkey and started back the training a week later. Honestly don't think I'll go back to it ever I hope. Actually look forward to the boxing every week which is not something I thought I'd ever say, getting excited about physical exercise. 

15 minutes ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Boxing training is good for this too.  I'm 7 months of drink last Wednesday. A few months before I stopped on 31st January I'd started boxing training Mondays and Wednesdays, but had dropped away as was just drinking far too much. A 2 day straight bender just tipped me over the edge and I thought what the f**k am I doing this for? Wasn't enjoying it anymore and it was just a habit. Went cold turkey and started back the training a week later. Honestly don't think I'll go back to it ever I hope. Actually look forward to the boxing every week which is not something I thought I'd ever say, getting excited about physical exercise. 

VIp.gif

I'm sure it is a well known song with the young team, but I recently discovered Jamie Webster 'Weekend in Paradise' and his lyrics were very close to home for myself.

It made me think of all that time I wasted from my late teens to my early 30's in pointless benders, desperate to keep it going and borrowing money constantly, only to repeat the cycle every single month so I was always skint and in debt to others. This just lead to the benders becoming longer and leading into week days. It all became worthless and 'just because'.

9 hours ago, Tony Ferrino said:

Switching from whisky to white wine was a fairly painless way for me to cut down the alcohol a bit if going teetotal seems too drastic. Easier if you stop having whisky in the house obviously. 

About 10 weeks now since I cut it out. Have had the odd relapse in a moment of weakness that I’ve kicked myself up and down the street for the following couple of days but generally keeping on the right path.

Wine was my go-to in the house. Complete kiddy-on that’s it was civilised not-really-drinking because it’s taken while cooking, eating, conversing and so. Kicked that habit in its entirety so that’s a big plus.

My new tipple is Lucky Saint beer (I’m not a bot advert, honest!). Most low/no alcohol beer tastes synthetic and thin. How they’ve done it I don’t know but this stuff tastes like a decent bottled beer and you’re easily capable of fooling yourself that your getting a proper drink. Have had various people over at the house for drinks and I’ve managed fine on it. Only downside is it’s expensive but not much more so than real beer. The means to my end, it works for me…

Can’t however say I’m massively up or down about sobriety. No real epiphany. Certainly sleeping better, digestion better but a hooer of cravings for sweeties and ice cream. I’m hoping they’ll pass in time but so far, I think as a result of that, no noticeable weight loss. 

17 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

My new tipple is Lucky Saint beer (I’m not a bot advert, honest!). Most low/no alcohol beer tastes synthetic and thin. How they’ve done it I don’t know but this stuff tastes like a decent bottled beer and you’re easily capable of fooling yourself that your getting a proper drink. Have had various people over at the house for drinks and I’ve managed fine on it. Only downside is it’s expensive but not much more so than real beer. The means to my end, it works for me…

Can’t however say I’m massively up or down about sobriety. No real epiphany. Certainly sleeping better, digestion better but a hooer of cravings for sweeties and ice cream. I’m hoping they’ll pass in time but so far, I think as a result of that, no noticeable weight loss. 

7 weeks for me now and I’m more or less the same as regards the sweets and crisps.

I’ve switched over to FreeDamm (alcohol free Estrella) or GhostShip AF, which have filled a void very well. Tried a few stinkers on the way to finding those mind.

Don’t feel like I’m missing out at all by not drinking and definitely have much more get up and go.

3 hours ago, alta-pete said:

hooer of cravings for sweeties and ice cream. I’m hoping they’ll pass in time but so far, I think as a result of that, no noticeable weight loss. 

My sweet tooth still going strong after 4+ years!

Was at a beer garden one sunny Saturday in Perthshire recently. They had pizza ovens and also did nice chips. Washed down with a few of these it was a decent afternoon and I could drive after and wasn’t staggering about and slurring my words unlike most of the other punters.

image.thumb.png.ef7bb2e59ce1d255e057691e889751f2.png

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, Molotov said:

How is it going?

I’ve myself have not had a drink in 4months. First Christmas sober for 40 years.

Christmas sober, for me, is almost as bad as watching Dunfermline sober. Torture! Soon be over though. Struggle a bit with down time but sober now for years.