Was that Hampden's last hurrah?

HibeeJibee

7 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Nation cup, the half hearted home nations revival. Whatever that cup in Japan was called. (Ok fair enough not Hampden related)

Okay I thought you were talking about the incredibly important, and not in any way fake nonsense, Nations League.

Gets rid of friendlies, allows for teams to play countries of a similar standing rather than playing big names for money and getting hammered, allows lower ranked teams an entry into the Euros, does away with 3rd placed teams in groups qualifying for the Euros via play-offs... nope, can't see any positives there!

The Nations League for a country like Scotland is a terrific addition. Maybe a bit of a pain for the bigger sides forced into competing for a relatively meaningless trophy, but for Scotland it’s a magnificent chance to qualify for a major tournament by simply playing our peers. Third/fourth seed, unlucky draw? All irrelevant now.

There’s also likely to be a proper diddy at the next Euros, i suspect most likely one of the Faroes, Kosovo or even Luxembourg.And what’s not to love about that?

It’s not a surprise to see apathy around it from the morons in our media, and even arguably some players though. Change is to be feared.

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Gets rid of friendlies, allows for teams to play countries of a similar standing rather than playing big names for money and getting hammered, allows lower ranked teams an entry into the Euros, does away with 3rd placed teams in groups qualifying for the Euros via play-offs... nope, can't see any positives there!

But wha kens how it works? Jings, it's awfy baffling.

3 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

No need to be playing during season friendlies anyway.  Major tournaments are meant to have the best sides there, not teams thrown a bone.  If we want more games playing teams of similar standard then summer tournaments for 2nd/ 3rd / 4th tier teams can be arranged.   

On 8/31/2018 at 18:47, Blootoon87 said:

Weren't you just slating the Nations League as a fake, pretend tournament? So your answer to that is to play a friendly tournament involving teams around our level during the summer?

The key part is summer.  I envisage a perfect scenario where Qualifiers merely state what summer tournament your nation enters. O and one where all qualifiers are played the previous summer.

the nations league is just more European qualifiers, it doesn't serve an independent function.

Summer 1- European qualifiers.  

Summer 2-  European tournaments, elite tournament similar to current euro's with similar tournaments for lesser sides. 

World cups can be worked in a similar manner.

Creates the ideal position for international football, gives you side to support and games to watch every summer, filling the gap between club seasons  whilst keeping it the hell away from the far more significant domestic season.

ETA- we are getting massively of topic here. Just trying to say whilst improvements to the stadium situation should be looked at it is nowhere close to being the reason I don't attend Scotland games any pars game involving a large neutral stadium will be far too important for me to be worrying about how convenient it is to get to or if i'll get a perfect view.

Edited by parsforlife
massively off-topic

12 hours ago, parsforlife said:

The key part is summer.  I envisage a perfect scenario where Qualifiers merely state what summer tournament your nation enters. O and one where all qualifiers are played the previous summer.

the nations league is just more European qualifiers, it doesn't serve an independent function.

Summer 1- European qualifiers.  

Summer 2-  European tournaments, elite tournament similar to current euro's with similar tournaments for lesser sides. 

World cups can be worked in a similar manner.

Creates the idea position for international football, gives you side to support and games to watch every summer, filling the gap between club seasons  whilst keeping it the hell away from the far more significant domestic season.

ETA- we are getting massively of topic here. Just trying to say whilst improvements to the stadium situation should be looked at it is nowhere close to being the reason I don't attend Scotland games any pars game involving a large neutral stadium will be far too important for me to be worrying about how convenient it is to get to or if ill get a perfect view.

I don't think you understand what perfect means.