Was that Hampden's last hurrah?

HibeeJibee

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

As has also been mentioned, how does every other nation and of course the other home nations especially, manage to get funding for new state of the art purpose built stadiums ? 

The WRU took out a £60mil loan to pay for the building of the Millennium Stadium which in total cost £121mil. £46mil of that was gifted to them by the Millennium Commission. They then only had to find £15mil to pay for it, which im assuming they got from sports funds and the government.

18 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

As has also been mentioned, how does every other nation and of course the other home nations especially, manage to get funding for new state of the art purpose built stadiums ? 

SFA got about £60M from public bodies (mainly government and lottery) to rebuild Hampden during the 1990s, but they made a hash of it. Spent a small amount (£12M) doing a rush job to make it all-seater in the early 90s, ahead of the deadline mandated by FIFA, then spent about £60M on the new stand in the late 90s. Welsh rebuilt their ageing/decrepit national stadium into the Millennium for £120M. Welsh rugby got about £50M in public money (less than Hampden got!!!) and borrowed the rest.

2 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

SFA got about £60M from public bodies (mainly government and lottery) to rebuild Hampden during the 1990s, but they made a hash of it. Spent a small amount (£12M) doing a rush job to make it all-seater in the early 90s, ahead of the deadline mandated by FIFA, then spent about £60M on the new stand in the late 90s. Welsh rebuilt their ageing/decrepit national stadium into the Millennium for £120M. Welsh rugby got about £50M in public money (less than Hampden got!!!) and borrowed the rest.

Heads should roll.

It has to be said that East Coasters who don't seem to know that Hampden is easily walkable from the centre of Glasgow is eye-opening.  

There will be similar complaints at Murrayfield about having to queue at the tram station as there are about having to queue at Mount Florida for the train to central.

37 minutes ago, SaintDougie said:

I've been reading though multiple threads on multiple forums regarding this and a couple of things keep coming up bar the whole East coast/West coast chat. They generally are, Renovate Hampden etc... sort out the goal ends or knock it down and start again, or build a new stadium in the Central belt somewhere.

It strikes me just how little people understand about the situation here, the SFA have NO MONEY to be able to renovate Hampden park to the standard that would deem it suitable. Ergo there is no money to knock it down and start again, be that on the same site or elsewhere in the country.

Which leads us to the situation we find ourselves in today, Move to Murrayfield or stick with the status quo. It's that simple.

For me it's Murrayfield, never liked Hampden on occasions I've been and I have no emotional ties to it whatsoever having only really experienced semi-final misery over the years at a club level.

If no improvements are to be made Parkhead and Ibrox are both better than Murrayfield and Hampden.

2 minutes ago, thisal said:

If no improvements are to be made Parkhead and Ibrox are both better than Murrayfield and Hampden.

But then you'd essentially be boosting the coffers of the OF, which would cause a massive uproar with the rest of the League and have accusations being thrown at the SFA of favouritism.

3 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Are you saying that the centre of Glasgow is actually located somewhere around Eglinton Toll?

Agreed. Queen street to Hampden is the best part of an hour's walk. You'd be sober by the time you got there.

12 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Are you saying that the centre of Glasgow is actually located somewhere around Eglinton Toll?

No, Queen Street or Central would be the centre of Glasgow, especially for all of the moaning Dingles from the East, from which Hampden is an easy walk. 

I've been going to internationals at Hampden since the 70s and have walked every time. I never understand why people want to spend 45 minutes plus in a queue at Mount Florida when they can be back into town on foot in that time or have sampled the local hostelries on their walk back into town.

Edited by Jason King

I consider myself a fit enough guy, but walking from QST is an hour's walk easy, especially if you have weans/girlfriends/wives with you. If you've been working all day, the last thing you want is having to trek for an hour to get to the fitba game you may be standing at for the 90 (especially in the Northy). 

I suppose the reason that other nations get the money for stadia is that they qualify for stuff, so they get money for that. 

I'd be more than happy with the statud quo. We're actually not too far away from qualifying for something, so I'm sure some money will be made available in the future for the changes we all actually want. It seems a touch short sighted to move lock, stock to Murrayfield.

3 minutes ago, Jason King said:

No, Queen Street or Central would be the centre of Glasgow, especially for all of the moaning Dingles from the East, from which Hampden is an easy walk. 

I've been going to internationals at Hampden since the 70s and have walked every time. I never understand why people want to spend 45 minutes plus in a queue at Mount Florida when they can be back into town on foot in that time or have sampled the local hostelries on their walk back into town.

Trudging through the shithole that is the southside of Glasgow in the rain for an hour either way is indeed better than the available public transport options, we can agree on that at least.

I’d imagine the type of person who walks from Glasgow Queen Street to Hampden for a match is also the same type of person who’s every day attire consists of cargo trousers and walking boots, and whose idea of a holiday consists of lumbering a tent around the Lake District.

i.e. complete loonballs

I usually get the train out to Hampden or maybe a taxi if we are pushed for time, doesn't cost much especially if you split it. Always end up walking back though, by the time you've waited in the queue you'd be back in the city centre anyway. Have also walked up to the next station on the line and jumped on the train there before it gets to Mount Florida.

Hampden is shite but I doubt Murrayfield would be much better. I'd stick where we are with view to redeveloping in future (although I wouldn't expect that to be any time soon unless we qualify for a couple of tournaments and the associated cash injection). At least if the SFA buy Hampden (which is obviously their angle here) we have a slim prospect of redevelopment in the coming decades. Move to Murrayfield it'll be down to the SRU for that and I don't think there is any great appetite to do so? Could be wrong like.

Having said that I'd like to see a big Scotland game at Murrayfield, just to see what it is like. I guess its all or nothing though.

Edited by EH75

I've never understood why everyone heads to Mount Florida rather than Kings Park, especially for those in the South and East Stands ??

7 or 8 min walk and usually a train arrives pretty promptly.

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

I’d imagine the type of person who walks from Glasgow Queen Street to Hampden for a match is also the same type of person who’s every day attire consists of cargo trousers and walking boots, and whose idea of a holiday consists of lumbering a tent around the Lake District.

i.e. complete loonballs

I've worn neither, and never lumbered roond the lakes. More than happy to walk to GQS from Hampden though.

Anyway, apparently these pics were taken at Murrayfiled this morning by a mate of a mate.

Murrayfield 2.jpg

Murrayfield.jpg

2 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

Anyway, apparently these pics were taken at Murrayfiled this morning by a mate of a mate.

The SRU had it dressed up as a football stadium for PR purposes.

Edited by JamesM82