Smacking Ban

Would anyone be willing to hit a parent with dementia or an adult relative with severe learning difficulties? If for example they were causing a scene in a restaurant or away to touch a hot stove or had walked out of the house alone?

[emoji23] [emoji23]

Yes, I would kick them up and down the high street

6 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Would anyone be willing to hit a parent with dementia or an adult relative with severe learning difficulties? If for example they were causing a scene in a restaurant or away to touch a hot stove or had walked out of the house alone?

Are we just going to be ridiculous now.

An older person who does that is regressing they will never learn any new skills by the nature of their condition.

A child is progressing and learning. By smacking them then the hope is that they learn what the can and can’t do and it is beneficial to their overall development.

8 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Well you talked originally about "a tap" and said it is now a criminal offence - it isnt.

A wallop is and quite right too.

If this is the case, I'm changing sides.  I don't smack my kid.

I detest all the abhorrent, bullying, violent, violence inducing, wallloping, harmful, whacking, slapping about, repulsive, vicious, uncontrolled, raging, child beating, pain inflicting, torturing child abusers.

Oh  Diana, the people's princess, think of the children.

Wow, thank goodness for that. I feel sooooo righteous. 

9 hours ago, whiskychimp said:

Depends on your opinion. I'd say the tap has become a criminal offence because, to me, it is a smack. 

Tbf though, you clearly don't understand the subject matter. This thread is about a proposed change to the law on assault. It will affect the legality of what some parents do to their children but it's got nothing to do with what you profess to do. Tapping your children without force, without causing harm will remain lawful.

26 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Tbf though, you clearly don't understand the subject matter. This thread is about a proposed change to the law on assault. It will affect the legality of what some parents do to their children but it's got nothing to do with what you profess to do. Tapping your children without force, without causing harm will remain lawful.

Clearly you didn't read my post this morning where I addressed that but feel free to carry on regardless.

5 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Are we banning reasonable chastisement or is it just if it leaves a mark etc?

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

That was the old law.

The new law is you're allowed to hit up to the point where it's an assault, if I'm reading this all correctly.

Edited by whiskychimp

9 hours ago, ayrmad said:

My 22 month old granddaughter would just hurl it at you when she's in top form.

We've one like that, too. Although her elder brother is in a league of his own regarding throwing.

1 minute ago, whiskychimp said:

The new law is you're allowed to hit up to the point where it's an assault, if I'm reading this all correctly.

I thought that was basically the case at present.