Brechin City -vs- Dumbarton

10 minutes ago, citydiehard said:

Again that was bloody awful,Dodds with his useless tactics,today was the day to get our first win with Dumbarton struggling for a team yet he again fucks it up.I wouldn't even wait until we see what happens at the Buckie game,get that useless Dodds out now.

Bit harsh, he's only learning himself, he will make mistakes but don't write dods off, kept us up before when it looked impossible, and did the impossible last year getting us up with a injury ravaged small squad, he shouldn't be judged on this year although as I've been sayin for months I don't care if we get beat every week as long as I'm entertained and we try and win, please if we are to get relegated can we have a go and play with no fear

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought Hill was very solid today and Boomer and Wardrop were decent going forward.

Walsh was good in spells but was let down too often by the final product.

Hutton and Carswell did actually work much better together than Hutton has with Barr, supported by Roy and Walsh. Not much came off for Mark Stewart and it was a shame for him his goal was wrongly disallowed for McLean crumpling in a heap, but hey-ho, it's the points that matter.

Yeah, scrappy game but I thought we did deserve the win. As previously mentioned Glebe Park is a great wee ground and I love visiting. Made to feel welcome. I think the gam was won with a bit of help from the small band of Sons fans who made the jounrney and spread out around the ground. We always encouraged the players today. They obviously could hear it and I think it made the difference today. Kinda felt like we were at home. Home support were pretty poor in numbers and negative.

I tell the teams I coach that id take a scrappy 1-0 win, with the goal coming in the last minute deflecting off an opponents arse, all day over a man cityesque performance but defeat. So all in all very pleasing today.
For the Brechin fans feeling a bit gutted, I do feel for you a bit, 1st season up is hard as we found out a few years ago. We changed our gaffer while rooted and cut adrift at the bottom, step forward Ian Murray! So don’t be too down hearted!

Dont think there's much chance of us changing manager. But some thing has to change we play far to defensive would love to see us going 4 4 2 and have a right go sadly I doubt this will happen

As admirable as a 442 sounds I don't think it would do you any favours with the squad you have. It could just lead to honking defeats.

Going attacking actually worked for us after Ian Murray's arrival but we did have guys like Agnew, Prunty, Graham, Lithgow, Paul McGinn, Fleming, Gilhaney, Lister and Turner - all of whom were more than capable at this level. I'm just not sure I see these type of players in that Brechin squad.

I don't think Dods is doing a bad job but at the same time you're quite right to expect to be semi competitive. Perhaps the board should have used the increased prize money and massively increased attendances at the Glebe to increase the budget a bit? It's almost like relegation has just been accepted with anything else being a bonus. I'm not sure that's the right way to approach a season at this level.

22 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

As admirable as a 442 sounds I don't think it would do you any favours with the squad you have. It could just lead to honking defeats.

Going attacking actually worked for us after Ian Murray's arrival but we did have guys like Agnew, Prunty, Graham, Lithgow, Paul McGinn, Fleming, Gilhaney, Lister and Turner - all of whom were more than capable at this level. I'm just not sure I see these type of players in that Brechin squad.

I don't think Dods is doing a bad job but at the same time you're quite right to expect to be semi competitive. Perhaps the board should have used the increased prize money and massively increased attendances at the Glebe to increase the budget a bit? It's almost like relegation has just been accepted with anything else being a bonus. I'm not sure that's the right way to approach a season at this level.

A more attacking formation would be great but I feel you are spot on with your summary .

Yesterday apart, this season has been quite bearable as we have matched most teams so far but just been unlucky on the scoring front.  Most of us have accepted our perhaps false position in this higher league and don't mind as long as we compete.  Anything other than relegation is a bonus.   What we won't accept is the way we concede farcical , avoidable goals as has been the way for most of the season , which has actually been our downfall. 

Although Dumbarton were depleted yesterday they closed us down and didn't allow us to play.  This is something we have done to some of the full time teams allowing us to hit on the break and be competitive.   Yesterday we just couldn't handle that and ended up giving the ball away too easily.   

As for strengthening the squad , perhaps the club have spotted the possibility of having all 4 Angus clubs in the same league next season and will leave the strengthening till the second half of the season in preparation for that ???    Who knows !  

A more attacking formation would be great but I feel you are spot on with your summary .
Yesterday apart, this season has been quite bearable as we have matched most teams so far but just been unlucky on the scoring front.  Most of us have accepted our perhaps false position in this higher league and don't mind as long as we compete.  Anything other than relegation is a bonus.   What we won't accept is the way we concede farcical , avoidable goals as has been the way for most of the season , which has actually been our downfall. 
Although Dumbarton were depleted yesterday they closed us down and didn't allow us to play.  This is something we have done to some of the full time teams allowing us to hit on the break and be competitive.   Yesterday we just couldn't handle that and ended up giving the ball away too easily.   
As for strengthening the squad , perhaps the club have spotted the possibility of having all 4 Angus clubs in the same league next season and will leave the strengthening till the second half of the season in preparation for that ???    Who knows !  

Discussing with committee s a non starter as I found out last week . I can t see how shipping out a few player and bringing in a goalscorer would put us out of business but that's what they re saying. .. We all appreciate there effort s and endeavour but at end of the day it's our money as well.

1 minute ago, CITY1974 said:

Discussing with committee s a non starter as I found out last week . I can t see how shipping out a few player and bringing in a goalscorer would put us out of business but that's what they re saying. .. We all appreciate there effort s and endeavour but at end of the day it's our CLUB  as well.

Fixed that for you as I don't think we are entitled to the money !!! :P8)

I was more than a bit reticent at 3pm yesterday as, never mind our injuries and suspension, the performance by Brechin in the opening half-hour at The Rock was as good as any team we've faced this season.  Add to that the fact that a lot of creditable performances from them since  hadn't produced a win you felt that something had to alter at some point.

And yet, a spell of pressure midway thro the second-half apart, I was really surprised at how toothless City were yesterday.  We were hardly brilliant, but I honestly felt that we were the more composed team throughout and - here's one for the purists - Kyle Hutton was outstanding in central midfield.  The whole team in fact put in a shift but Seagal and the lad Morrison remain a concern.

It's a  tough division this, and whilst the ending was dramatic I'd be lying if I said I wasn't dancing jigs of joy with my fellow Sons fans when the goal went in.  Wins are like gold dust for the part-timers, and just maybe a thought on approaching yesterday's fixture of 'if not now, when?' on City's part actually choked their performance. 

I'm right behind Dods as he got us up to this league against all odds and deserves a 'free shot' at this season. He got it wrong yesterday though.

Tactics - we are playing a fellow part time side at home who were missing half a dozen first team regulars. We don't need 5 at the back with a defensive midfielder sitting right in front of them all game!

Team selection - why the f**k did Lynas get dropped for Spark? Was he not 100%? If not then that was a crazy decision. Isaac Layne has been given his opportunity and has proved he isn't good enough to be starting, all he is use for is an impact sub. Liam Watt as mentioned before looks about a stone overweight and doesn't look fit, Finn Graham should have started ahead of him. Then there was Jordan Sinclair coming off early in the second half, yes he wasn't playing particulary well but he is one of the few players capable of producing a bit of quality. If he wasn't injured then that was another strange decision, but he looked to be moving about fine to me.

Finally, what the f**k was Dyer doing at the goal? Nobody near him and he had time to re-adjust himself.

Devastated as that was our golden chance to get the first win and drag Dumbarton into it. Now I'm wondering where the first win is going to come from as our upcoming fixtures are chronic. If we play like that up at Buckie then we'll be out the cup.

Over and out - come on the City.

I think we have some decent players but not used properly,played out of position and in the wrong formation. We also have players played every week no matter what.that for me is the problem which is being created by our coaches. now we can give plaudits all day for what has went before but also accept there was a huge slice of luck in our achievements. I have never expected to light the heather on fire but when we’ve had so many games where we’re beaten by the odd goal tells me if we were to change a few players n tweek the formation we may well b in with a chance. That has to be down to Dods n co. Or am I miles off with my opinion??

I would think we are top of the soup league in the Championship kind of makes up for playing 5 at the back and Issac up front:thumsup2  

The only great highlight of the game yesterday was being told to try some of the chilli sauce in the soup. Despite my initial 'not sure if serious-ness', it was the landmark moment of great enlightenment that made the trip down seriously worthwhile.

Archived