Your Favourite XI

Following on from the wildly successful "Most Disappointing XI" thread, let's turn things around a little bit and have a look at your favourite XI from your time supporting your club. It doesn't necessarily need to be the best players you've seen, but the ones you've admired and had a strong affinity with. I will select my XI, picking players who featured for Stenhousemuir over the last 13 years, and I encourage you to do the same thing too for your club.

GK - Willie McCulloch
Willie McCulloch, an overweight goalie with a round red face, was a cracking player for Stenny. He used to swing on the bar before games and his legendary status was galvanised when Campbell Money released him and replaced him with John Hillcoat.

LB - Ciaran Summers
Ciaran Summers probably gets into this team by default, only because there hasn't really been any popular left-backs at the club (Lloyd Haddow was before my time). With his leggy running style and his Joey Essex good looks, I had high hopes for Summers when he broke into Scott Booth's team at the tail end of the 2013/14 season. He really looked the part until growing pains rendered him unable to play and kept him out of action for months. He never really did get his mojo back after that. After leaving Ochilview in the summer in an ambitious bid for full-time football, Summers now plays for Queen's Park.

CB - Ross McMillan
I loved Ross McMillan during his first couple of seasons at the club. When we signed him from Clyde, I couldn't believe he'd been hidden away in the basement leagues - he was strong, aggressive, quick over short distances and read the game well. When he was paired alongside Martyn Corrigan and then Scot Buist, he was an outstanding defender, and one of the best in the Second Division. McMillan always seemed like a player who needed guided through a match, rather than someone who could harry and cajole his team-mates, and his formed seemed to dip from 2014 onwards after Buist's retirement. Injuries also played their part and McMillan quietly left the club in 2015, missing the play-off final against Queen's Park because he was attending a wedding. An otherwise disappointing end to a very good player for Stenhousemuir.

CB - John "BC" McKeown
"His name is John McKeown! His cock is 5ft 4! And when he gets it out, you know he's going to score! The BC! The BC! The BC!" A bang-average lower-league stopper but my goodness, he was packing heat.

RB - Willie Lyle
Who else could it be? Probably the most endearingly popular player on this list, Willie Lyle was a real hero during his five years at Stenhousemuir. Signed by Campbell Money in 2007, Lyle took a long time to settle and failed to convince after a series of haphazard performances. But, after John Coughlin took charge, Lyle looked like a different player - fit, energetic and a very reliable defender, Lyle quickly won the supporters over; number 131 is Willie Lyle! Davie Irons never really seemed convinced by him and got rid of him in 2013, bringing his association with the team to an end. Lyle still speaks of Stenhousemuir very highly, and fair play to him.

CM - Eric Paton
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

CM - Iain Thomson
A robust midfielder who could fill in at a number of positions, Iain Thomson was gritty and niggly and the kind of player you'd want in your team on a shitty midweek trip to Cliftonhill. He always worse his heart on his sleeve, something that endeared him to fans, and could power through the middle of the park. I still can't understand why Martyn Corrigan favoured Sean Lynch ahead of him. Your knobbly knees, your ginger hair, your Edinburgh, you're Iain Thomson!

CM - Paul Murphy
I had to have a think about this one, as a third central midfielder didn't really stand out (Ross Meechan maybe, but he was only ever played there out of necessity), but I've chosen Paul Murphy for his performances over the 2005/06 season where he was one of the stand-out players in the Third Division. He dovetailed very well with John Paul McBride, I remember. Campbell Money believed he was a central defender, which just didn't work.

FW - Paul McGrillen
Paul McGrillen is probably my favourite striker to have played for Stenhousemuir. I remembered him from my Panini sticker albums when I was a boy and when I started watching Stenny in 2004, I always found it strange he was playing at such a mediocre level. And what a player he was! His record for the Warriors was something like a goal every two games and he a fantastic habit of getting it right up East Stirlingshire whenever he faced them. There was a game in 2005 where he scored an 88th-minute winner, completing his hat-trick in the process, and celebrated right in front of the Shire fans. Seminal.

FW - Colin McMenamin
His legs might have gone and he isn't the force he once was but Colin McMenamin has been a fantastic player for Stenhousemuir. When he first signed for the club in 2014, I was wholly unconvinced, especially after his infamous interview with the Daily Record when he proclaimed Scottish football as "dead", but he proved me wrong. Scott Booth's side were dreadful but thanks to McMenamin's goals, he gave them a fighting of avoiding relegation. He really knocked his pan in for the team. I recorded a podcast with him in February 2016 and he came across really well in it. Worth listening to, if you get the chance.

FW - Paul McMullan
Probably the most exciting player I've ever seen at Stenhousemuir. One of the few things Scott Booth got right in his awful tenure at the club was bringing in Paul McMullan on loan from Celtic. Signed in January 2015 with the club bobbling around towards the bottom of the table, McMullan could have huffed and puffed his way through the season but he galvanised the side and often looked on a one-man mission to propel his team forward. There were some games where he got on the ball and you just knew something would happen. McMullan was fast and unpredictable and it's good to see him playing well at a team like Dundee United.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not necessarily the greatest players in Ayr's history, but I fucking loved these players.

Craig Nelson

Nicky Devlin

David Craig

Peter Murphy

Paul Lovering

Paul Sheerin

Ryan Stevenson (first spell)

Pat McGinlay

Mickey Reynolds

Michael Moffat

Glynn Hurst

Scott Christie
Paul Nuggent
Andy Graham
Laurie Ellis
Ross Forsyth
David O'Brien
Chris Aitken
Steven Bell
Callumn Morrison
Jordan White
Robert Snodgrass

Special mentions to;
Chris Smith
Myle Hogarth
Ross McGeachie
Scott Robertson
Bikey
Colin Cramb
Darren Lee Smith

David larter

John mcquillan

Aaron taylor sinclair

Mark haro

Mark craib

Kevin tindal

Grant johnson

Martin boyle

Greame sharp

Colin mcglashan

John baird

Probably left out a few that could have been in but at a rough guess il go with this.

1. Bryn Halliwell
2. Simon Mensing
3. Eddie Malone
4. Chris Higgins
5. Marko McLaughlin
6. Jack Ross
7. Craig Bryson
8. Pat Scullion
9. Paddy Keogh
10. Peter MacDonald
11. Dougie Imrie

Slight liberty taken with positions I admit. Peaso is in as despite being part of a shit team he was a class act on the pitch and a brilliant man off it, he will rightly get a very warm welcome on Saturday. Scullion is in as he was a cult hero for my group of fans, when we'd even less to cheer about than we do now.

David larter
John mcquillan
Aaron taylor sinclair
Mark haro
Mark craib
Kevin tindal
Grant johnson
Martin boyle
Greame sharp
Colin mcglashan
John baird

Probably left out a few that could have been in but at a rough guess il go with this.

Pat Scullion??? Ru serious? Possibly one of the worst players ever to pull on the jersey

1. Bryn Halliwell
2. Simon Mensing
3. Eddie Malone
4. Chris Higgins
5. Marko McLaughlin
6. Jack Ross
7. Craig Bryson
8. Pat Scullion
9. Paddy Keogh
10. Peter MacDonald
11. Dougie Imrie

Slight liberty taken with positions I admit. Peaso is in as despite being part of a shit team he was a class act on the pitch and a brilliant man off it, he will rightly get a very warm welcome on Saturday. Scullion is in as he was a cult hero for my group of fans, when we'd even less to cheer about than we do now.

Pat Scullion is one of the worst and most unfit player I've ever seen

Pat Scullion is one of the worst and most unfit player I've ever seen

If you read the post I have stated exactly why he is in that team. It is a favourite XI not a best or highest quality.

This is almost impossible. I think for Clyde fans of my age there are three outstanding teams (99/00 promotion side, 03/04 nearly promotion side and the Celtic team) which make up nearly the entirety of this side. There might be some better players and there are a lot of real heroes that I've not included, but here's the team that I'd want to watch every week. 352 formation; we've had plenty of good sides playing that way.

GK - Bryn Halliwell

bryn.jpg.5f02d90739c586fd26771c7c05d77b87.jpg

Clyde was in the big-time! After a fantastically memorable promotion campaign, we jettisoned experienced stopper David Wylie and took to the field for our league opener against Falkirk with the guy above between the sticks. Kevin Budinaukas, signed at the same time and probably the original number 1, was unavailable

What struck me first, as a 14 year old, was his hair. What on earth was that? He'd soon have it shaved off, a look he kept for the rest of his career, but for that first game he dazzled with his bizarre locks. Then there was the fact he came from Wimbledon; successful English side, frequently on Match of the Day. He was almost exotic.

Halliwell later revealed in multiple interviews that his hero was David James and there were undeniable similarities. Capable of the outstanding save, he also threw in calamities when the occasion demanded it. He was, without a doubt, the worst kicker of a football that there has ever been. Left-footed, he was able to slice the ball at incredible angles which rarely threatened the pitch. He was plain daft; there was the hissy fit after we cheered Hamilton's Paddy Keogh, followed by the bizarre leaping apology of a celebration in the next home game against St Johnstone.  He'd end the season as our player of the year and left for pastures new. In truth, he didn't ever really establish himself elsewhere despite developing into a fantastic goalkeeper at Clyde.

A true club legend, Halliwell is our all-time appearance record holder at Broadwood. He came back for a second spell under Jim Duffy and on his debut, got away with handling outside the box and saved a penalty, something he'd hardly ever done in his first stint. He ended up in the juniors but in incidents which sum up his crazy nature, he was brought back into emergency full-time football by both Hearts and Morton.

CB - Simon Mensing

mensing.jpg.9ae4ad7afa669f1619ba5fdcd045d857.jpg

Mehmet Unal, Leigh Hinds and others came up the road from Wimbledon as well but it was Mensing of Wolfenbuttel who came closest to matching Halliwell's impact. Brought in when stalwart Darren Murray joined the police, his first act in a Clyde shirt was to launch a clearance against his own crossbar in a draw with Falkirk. He got better and better with every passing season and whilst his poor games were atrocious, he put in superb performances all over the pitch, except left back. He almost literally played in every position, including a short-lived stint as a striker. His best position was probably right-back, his most outstanding performances arguably came in some rare midfield appearances, but he's in at right centre half as I want him in my team. Unlike Halliwell, he went on to have a great career elsewhere.

CB - Neil McGregor

5a00aaa1d3b59_neilmcgregor.jpg.f314cd718185f6b00c5c16288ee5c577.jpg

Pictured above with Du Wei in a certain match. Like the other 10 players he had a fantastic performance, but it was only when I watched the replay of the match (time and time again) that I realised just how good he was in that game, it was a truly imperious performance, verging on perfection. The only surprise was that Celtic didn't immediately sign him up to replace the Chinese oaf.

Signed in the famous trials, McGregor started his first couple of matches at right wing-back (and netted a goal against Manchester United in a glamour friendly) before being moved to a sweeper role. Pacy, good in the air and with superb reading of the game, he was a natural there and it resulted in a man of the match performance at Ibrox in an unfortunate extra-time defeat. With the more reliable Craig McKeown and Chris Higgins on either side of him, we had a young but perfectly balanced defence and it culminated in the Celtic victory, and a trip to the Challenge cup final, where his brilliant performance was spoilt by a missed penalty.

Like all Clyde players, he had his flaws. By the end of his time at Broadwood, he was always either injured or suspended. John Brown tried to re-invent him as a midfielder. He did some crazy things; punching balls off the goal-line, clattering guys when on a booking. However the performances of those first couple of seasons will always live with me; he was the definition of a big game player. He'd be in my personal top three favourite Clyde players.

CB - Mark McLaughlin

marko.jpg.e11e6caf105079331b7d5eb95f320d15.jpg

Marko will be in every single Clyde team I'd imagine. The first time I saw him he was playing in a cup final for Arthurlie and was a stand-out. We brought him in as a left-sided player originally and he was fantastic in almost every game as we got promoted from  the old division 2. He later moved into centre half and his performances went to another level. Quite simply he was a colossus in the season where we nearly reached the SPL and P&B generally agreed he was the division's stand out player. He chose, for his own financial security, to go to Hamilton Accies, when moves to the top division and possibly Hibernian seemed more likely. He'd have fitted right in. When BF brought him back in 2015 it was a heroic return and whilst  undeniably slower and having developed a bizarre habit of talking to himself, he was still an out and out winner. 

Marko had a habit of popping up with big goals, including one within a minute of his return from a lengthy absence for a broken leg. There was the absolutely towering header in a 4-2 win over Falkirk which kept us firmly on our way to that ill-fated title challenge. The picture above is of a goal on his final appearance at Broadwood for Clyde, a typically crucial strike in a 3-1 play-off win against Elgin. That he missed the final with QP was ultimately the reason we didn't get promoted.

I said that all Clyde players have flaws. Marko at his best was probably the closest to perfection.

RWB - Jack Ross

5a00b094a63f3_JackRoss.jpg.17a75b893402b325f117db0e7a881cff.jpg

Toss-up between him and Mikey McGowan for this but Ross would have been in the team regardless. Simply a quality player, with good pace and athleticism to go with his technical attributes. And  he had attitude. He could pick the team up and drive them forward and it was no surprise he ended up as captain. Part of the promotion side that went up in 2000, he played a crucial central midfield role and did as much as anyone to take us to the verge of a promotion to the top division. Again, he ended up being a classy and popular operator at his other clubs as well. 

I have less interesting stories about Ross than most of the other players. Simply as he was an 8 out of 10, every week. His performances didn't dip, and they didn't peak either. He was undeniably an intelligent guy with a degree, and his stints in football since demonstrate that, whether in the media, the PFA, or as a manager. The picture above is from a series of articles he wrote for the BBC about the life of a lower league Scottish player. He's quite simply one of the guys that you watch every week who are maybe over-shadowed by more glamorous players, but when he leaves, it makes you feel sick to know that you'll not get anyone better. We haven't came close.

LWB - Eddie Malone

eddie.jpg.8ef4e0cf175a0fec2ef30e7684227fa5.jpg

How can any Clyde fan hate Billy Reid when he signed Eddie Malone in exchange for one  fat, hopeless Kevin Fotheringham? This was the guy for whom the mathematically incorrect 110% effort was invented. He filled in at centre half and in midfield, but he was the perfect lower-league left wing-back. For 90 minutes, Eddie would sprint from one end of the pitch to another, tackling, crossing, running. For some reason, I always think of matches at Palmerston when he used to rip Eric Paton apart with sheer effort and aggression. 

Then there was the goal. THE goal. I also appreciated a stonking free-kick which put Reid firmly in his place in a come from behind win against the Accies, but Eddie Malone's first Clyde goal not only resonated with Clyde fans, but shocked Scottish football. Within seconds of a missed penalty, Stephen O'Donnell had picked himself up and sent in a corner kick which Eddie clattered past Artur Boruc for our second goal.  He had also set up Craig Bryson's opener. He's been featured on multiple sets of opening credits and completed endless amounts of interviews. In many ways, he deserved the limelight for all the hard-work he put in wearing a Clyde jersey.

CM - Andy McClay

5a00b5874d1a5_andymcclay.jpg.e9a0894df03d8d2cdffe3dd80113d343.jpg

One of our band of juniors, Andy McClay took over as Clyde captain following Ian Spittal's tragic eye injury, but he was already one of a team of leaders. He's the guy we all want in our team nowadays; a nasty wee sort who would defend the shirt and lead his men into battle. He was a good footballer himself but his role gave the likes of McCusker and Keogh the chance to influence games. He did, of course, win the title as proved by the picture above.

McClay was unfortunate to miss the first half of our season in a higher division and in truth, he never really established himself at that level in the way that some of the others did. However, he was one of my favourite players at the time, and one of my younger brother's all-time favourite. I particularly remember one goal against Partick Thistle that still lives on in the memory. A proper captain.

CM - Jimmy Gibson

5a00b76bc0d0e_jimmyg.jpg.9119be456e96914c768d03adb280385b.jpg

I picked my first ten players for this team quite quickly, though not without much debate. I was all set to choose between Richie McCusker and Craig Bryson but ended up going left-field and going for Jimmy Gibson. Gibson was undeniably a popular player and was a key part of two good Clyde sides. He was brought in by Alan Kernaghan as one of the final pieces of a promotion challenging jigsaw and alongside a terrier like nature, he simply had class. He could move his hips to gain half a yard of space, he tried to chip the goalkeeper from the edge of the box. His partnership with Jack Ross was terrific and given a bit more height and a burst of pace, he'd have played at a much higher level.

Gibson returned to play under John Brown but his career was almost over due to injury. He did score a crucial goal in the play-off win against Alloa, and still had touches of class. 

Despite his quality, I'd be surprised if any other Clyde fan picked Gibson in their team. I simply enjoyed watching him play every week.

AMC - Karim Kerkar

kerkar.jpg.a4606b2b1fa2b7f26e757182851de875.jpg

Started three games. Subbed early on in one of them due to injury. How on Earth does he get into my favourite XI?

Quite simply, Karim Kerkar's debut against Ross County was the most enjoyable 90 minutes I've ever seen from one player. Brought in by Billy Reid on a short-term deal which later earned him a move to Dundee United, the Algerian international was simply an entertainer. Throughout the game, on a beautifully sunny Saturday, he produced bits of skill never seen before or since at Broadwood and ripped the visitors to pieces. He even managed to get the hapless Aaron Wilford a goal, which was repeated in a mid-week cup tie at Airdrie who took it well enough that they resorted to booting him all over the pitch.

Kerkar didn't have much of a career in Europe. He left United and spent the rest of his time in the middle East, no doubt dazzling anyone who paid money to watch him. I'd have paid a fortune myself to see him every week in a Clyde jersey but in a way, the fact he only had that one memorable display maybe sets him apart even more.

CF - Brian Carrigan

carrots.jpg.d47d082b51e14f7b76f261790ca5fed1.jpg

As a kid growing up, he was my idol. Having came through our youth system and having featured on the TV programme on which Davie Cooper tragically died, it seemed at stages like it wouldn't click. Then he took us to a title. In a talented team, he was still a step ahead of the rest of the players and he scored goals from long range, from free-kicks, penalties. Stardust sums his effect up perfectly.

Carrots left for big money to Stockport County, where he was sacked after being convicted of drink driving. Such incidents happened throughout his career, with problems with alcohol cropping up constantly and all sorts of unsavoury rumours following him about. He had a decent time at Hamilton and also turned up against at Clyde briefly, where he played his part in one of the most incredible matches seen by the Clyde support; a 6-1 win at Brockville which saw both Carrigan and Leigh Hinds strike hat-tricks.

There's no doubt that he didn't fulfil his potential. Even at the end of his career, returning to Broadwood with Alloa, he was overweight but clearly the best player on the pitch by an absolute mile. A wasted talent, but one that I loved watching.

CF - David Goodwillie

goodwillie.jpg.b17398a266b13bad878e283ef875568f.jpg

Yeah, he gets in for me. 

Let's not talk about the circumstances of his arrival. He's simply a class footballer, playing way below his level, and yet he still leads the team and gives everything during every match.  He could easily chuck it playing with inferior players who aren't on his wavelength (I bet he'd love playing with the rest of this side). He could easily laud up the fact he's our best player, yet he is reserved and focused. Sometimes he does too much on the ball but that's only because he wants us to win. And sadly, wins have been all too rare thanks to others incompetence. If a 31 year old can idolise a player, then I idolise him.

Pictured above, is the celebration following his hat-trick goal against Elgin last season. At half-time we were 2-0 down and dropping to the bottom of the table, possibly never to climb off it again. By full-time we had won a massive three points, with Kyle Gourlay's penalty save just a mere foot-note alongside Goodwillie's performance. His effort was superhuman and he followed it up with winning a crucial penalty and scoring a goal in our final two games. 

I'm dreading watching Clyde games without him.

I enjoyed reminiscing and writing that up. Yet there's an air of disappointment and worry. How could I leave out Pat Keogh, Eddie Annand, Adam Proudlock, Darren Murray, Dylan Easton, Stevie Convery,  Alan Martin, Craig Bryson, Ian Spittal, Alex Gramovics, Christian Smith's boots and countless others? Guys I genuinely loved watching play for various reasons, and wish I could see again in a Clyde top. I could have put all of them in the team on another day. I think it just sums up why we need to stick at it, keep going to matches and keep crossing our fingers. 

1 hour ago, Blootoon87 said:

Mikel Kula
Bobby Mann
Callum McDonald
Cammy Kerr
Graham Sharp
Stuart Mckay
Jamie Stevenson
Martin Bavidge
Rory Mcallister

Still a couple of spaces to fill, I'll have to have a think.

Not far off would be looking for a place for Iain Stewart for all the tap ins, maybe a fit Jamie Buchan in midfield, Andy Roddie had his moments as well

GK Derek Atkins - before his leg break at Ayr I would argue there wasn’t a better keeper in the country. 

RB Ross McFarlane - Just a class act - over 400 appearances and not even close to a goal . Not the quickest or the biggest - but one of the smartest.

LB Tommy McQueen - part of the left hand trio that would rival any team at any time. Good enough that he would get signed by Alex Ferguson at Aberdeen via West Ham.

Sw Brian Ahern - Fishy - quite simply the best player ever to have graced the jersey.

CH - Ian Spittal - just an out an out warrior, again not the tallest but his all too brief captain fantastic role - every game he sweat blood and tears.

RM - Jack Ross - the epitome of a modern footballer - athletic and intelligent , also showed great loyalty by not taking up a move to his boyhood team in Falkirk. Model Pro.

CM - John McVeigh - proper ball winning midfielder , who was a decent passer of the ball - for such a lunatic of a manager - can’t remember him being sent off or getting involved in any nonsense.

LM - Stevie Evans - part of the left hand side that Just demolished teams. Ex Man City at the time, probably the weakest of the three but when you see who played on left wing it’s not that harsh a criticism.

RW - hardest to choose as I went 4-3-3 to accommodate a certain left winger. I’ll put in a proper centre forward who scored double figures every season for every team he played for - Derek Freddy Frye - amazingly his goals invariably all came before November!

CF - Neil Hood - just a legend , cult hero , great player and unfortunate at the times of Dalgliesh and Jordan that he wasn’t recognised at a higher level.

LW - Pat Nevin - a genius of a footballer - and the final cog in the left hand side wheel. One of the first tribunals in football and also revered at Stamford Bridge. Messi like and his goal against Alloa would be shown time and time again had it been filmed.

Squad places for Allan Martin, marko, carrots, Craig Bryson and yes David Goodwillie 

GK Derek Atkins - before his leg break at Ayr I would argue there wasn’t a better keeper in the country. 
RB Ross McFarlane - Just a class act - over 400 appearances and not even close to a goal . Not the quickest or the biggest - but one of the smartest.
LB Tommy McQueen - part of the left hand trio that would rival any team at any time. Good enough that he would get signed by Alex Ferguson at Aberdeen via West Ham.
Sw Brian Ahern - Fishy - quite simply the best player ever to have graced the jersey.
CH - Ian Spittal - just an out an out warrior, again not the tallest but his all too brief captain fantastic role - every game he sweat blood and tears.
RM - Jack Ross - the epitome of a modern footballer - athletic and intelligent , also showed great loyalty by not taking up a move to his boyhood team in Falkirk. Model Pro.
CM - John McVeigh - proper ball winning midfielder , who was a decent passer of the ball - for such a lunatic of a manager - can’t remember him being sent off or getting involved in any nonsense.
LM - Stevie Evans - part of the left hand side that Just demolished teams. Ex Man City at the time, probably the weakest of the three but when you see who played on left wing it’s not that harsh a criticism.
RW - hardest to choose as I went 4-3-3 to accommodate a certain left winger. I’ll put in a proper centre forward who scored double figures every season for every team he played for - Derek Freddy Frye - amazingly his goals invariably all came before November!
CF - Neil Hood - just a legend , cult hero , great player and unfortunate at the times of Dalgliesh and Jordan that he wasn’t recognised at a higher level.
LW - Pat Nevin - a genius of a footballer - and the final cog in the left hand side wheel. One of the first tribunals in football and also revered at Stamford Bridge. Messi like and his goal against Alloa would be shown time and time again had it been filmed.
Squad places for Allan Martin, marko, carrots, Craig Bryson and yes David Goodwillie 

That's more like it. I'd have Danny Masterton and Alan Kernahan instead of Hood and Spittal though and maybe Gerry McCabe in for Evans, but some real legends in yer team mate

24 minutes ago, Tommy's Ring said:

That's more like it. I'd have Danny Masterton and Alan Kernahan instead of Hood and Spittal though and maybe Gerry McCabe in for Evans, but some real legends in yer team mate

Kernaghan a fine player no doubt, but a bit moany for me, and Danny over Neilly a shout if he wasn’t so feckin lazy!

Archived