North Caledonian League Expansion

Robert James

Not that great but, at the same time, Brora could easily dish out a spanking like that to half a dozen HL clubs and take away the results against them and Ross County and it aint too awful. Probably similar results ye'd expect from Strathspey Thistle over the same period.

5 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Just to give a rough example of standard. Golspie Sutherland enter the Scottish Cup each year and this is their results in that competition in the last decade

Nairn County 5 v 2 Golspie Sutherland

Golspie Sutherland 2 v 2 Fort William

Fort William 2 v 3 Golspie Sutherland

Girvan 4 v 0 Golspie Sutherland

Gala Fairydean 5 v 2 Golspie Sutherland

Hawick Royal Albert 1 v 4 Golspie Sutherland

Cove Rangers 7 v 0 Golspie Sutherland

Golspie Sutherland 0 v 4 Edinburgh City

Golspie Sutherland 1 v 4 Dalbeattie Star

Golspie Sutherland 1 v 5 Cove Rangers

Banks O’Dee 4 v 0 Golspie Sutherland

Glenafton Athletic 6 v 1 Golspie Sutherland

Golspie Sutherland 1 v 4 Burntisland Shipyard

Banks O’Dee 2 v 0 Golspie Sutherland

Years in bold are years Golspie won the NCL. Not too many humpings there against some decent teams but, then again, letting in 4 against Dalbeattie, Girvan and Burntisland doesn't scream high quality either.

For anyone  on this forum, who hasn't watched an North Caley match, its website shows highlights of the NCA Football Times  Cup Final in January 2020  :

Golspie Sutherland 2    St Duthus 3             It was a very competitive game, with some cracking goals. 

The standard of the top 4 or 5 clubs has risen considerably in recent years, and the proposed award of Tier 6 pyramid status, is fully justified in my opinion.  

North Caley club Inverness Athletic has announced a partnership with Inverness based youth club, Balloan FC. 

The purpose is to provide a pathway for young players to progress to senior adult football, presumably via Athletic's newly formed Under 20's XI.  A progressive step for the two clubs.

42 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Nice to see Meall Fuar Mhoine there.

Many happy/freezing/soaking trips up it as a loon with my dad and brother.

Was thinking that's the Dores Inn viewpoint?

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Was thinking that's the Dores Inn viewpoint?

Definitely Dores. Can see the benches for the pub!

Was thinking Loch Ness Brewery might be an obvious sponsor (even though they're really Cairngorm now). Either that or the terrible tat shop under the museum.

Definitely Dores. Can see the benches for the pub!
Was thinking Loch Ness Brewery might be an obvious sponsor (even though they're really Cairngorm now). Either that or the terrible tat shop under the museum.
They have now got WooHa Brewery from Kinloss as the sponsor for their home shirt

Fair play to whoever is doing their PR. They were literally a pub team a few weeks back and have now probably sold more shirts than a lot of league clubs will manage.

29 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

They have now got WooHa Brewery from Kinloss as the sponsor for their home shirt

Fair play to whoever is doing their PR. They were literally a pub team a few weeks back and have now probably sold more shirts than a lot of league clubs will manage.

Gellions? 

3 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Was thinking Lauder’s myself  :angel

The Market's more my kind of place. They'd struggle to put a football team together though, unless zimmer frames and amphetamines are permitted. 

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The Market's more my kind of place. They'd struggle to put a football team together though, unless zimmer frames and amphetamines are permitted. 

Upstairs v downstairs?

1 minute ago, Cyclizine said:

Upstairs v downstairs?

Downstairs, think I'm a bit old for upstairs. Hardly ever out in the evenings anyway, but wouldn't mind a decent band when it starts again.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Downstairs, think I'm a bit old for upstairs. Hardly ever out in the evenings anyway, but wouldn't mind a decent band when it starts again.

Always enjoyed being ushered in furtively post curfew, back in the day

31 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Love the Market Bar, my wee brother’s 2nd home! 😂

Brilliant for seeing a band too although a little cozy. Our bass player had to keep moving out to the hall every time someone needed the toilet as there was no space upstairs at all! What a night though 😎