Masterchef Pros

RH33

27 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
8 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:
It’s not been as prominent this year, but I really don’t enjoy the episodes where the chefs go to some Michelin star restaurant in a Spanish village and have the challenge of recreating the chefs most famous dishes. The dishes are always technically outstanding and the contestant will say that they won’t be able to recreate it, but 15 minutes later they do exactly that, and the head chef is then sending their dishes out into his own restaurant. I’m not advocating some kind of Masterchef Australia deal, but those challenges on the UK show add absolutely nothing to the reputation of the contestants and have no bearing on the outcome of the champion. I genuinely can’t remember watching one of these episodes where the chef who created the dish has had anything but praise for the contestant, and Marcus and Monica aren’t even with them on location and never have any comment on that segment, it’s all about what they do in the Masterchef kitchen.

It’s the exact same with the challenges where they go to a works canteen and have to make industrial sized portions of their chosen dish and then stand dishing it out like a school dinner lady. 

I have long thought they could learn a bit from Masterchef Australia. Some of the challenges they used to do on there were good and different. Sure they used to cook against a top TV chef on that and have the dishes judged agaisnt eachother. Would like to see that.

The reason that I cannot watch Masterchef Australia is because of the interviews they edit in as the chef is cooking. It will be showing you some woman struggling with pasta or worried her soufflés won’t rise, and then they cut to them sitting explaining what had happened, but doing it in the present tense as if it’s actually happening as they speak. They would say something like ‘and now I’m looking down at my soufflés and they are  just not rising and Im worried, but I’ve soldiered on with the main course’. I don’t know if I’ve explained that well, but it absolutely drives me bonkers. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

13 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

The reason that I cannot watch Masterchef Australia is because of the interviews they edit in as the chef is cooking. It will be showing you some woman struggling with pasta or worried her soufflés won’t rise, and then they cut to them sitting explaining what had happened, but doing it in the present tense as if it’s actually happening as they speak. They would say something like ‘and now I’m looking down at my soufflés and they are  just not rising and Im worried, but I’ve soldiered on with the main course’. I don’t know if I’ve explained that well, but it absolutely drives me bonkers. 

It's certainly dumbed down, which is hardly surprising. But there are elements of it I like. 

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

It's certainly dumbed down, which is hardly surprising. But there are elements of it I like. 

The contestants they choose for Masterchef Australia always strike me as people that have came from an acting or performance background. Very comfortable in front of the camera and usually quite confident in themselves. Not a bad thing, but I prefer the UK version. As you say, the UK version could be improved if they cut out the trips to different restaurants etc and was centred around different challenges in the masterchef kitchen. 

I think it’s when they get down to the last 4 where they get to choose either a starter and main, or a main and desert, and have them judged by a couple of food critics and a previous Masterchef winner. That clown Gregg Wallace stands over them like ‘your one minute late, remember and apologise when you go in’. What is the issue with being 1 minute late, would he prefer you presented them with a half finished plate of food, or have the audacity to leave a couple of dobber food critics waiting for a whole 60 seconds on a meal that they are getting for free. I really want to get on Masterchef just so I could say ‘Listen Gregg, f**k off eh’. 

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

"I forgot to boil my woahtah, that's the hero of the dish - I'm in trouble".

14 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

"I forgot to boil my woahtah, that's the hero of the dish - I'm in trouble".

I’m glad someone else knows what I mean :lol: 

Anytime it’s on in my house I just sit shouting at the TV ‘why are they talking like it’s happening as they speak’. It doesn’t seem to annoy many other people but it makes it genuinely unwatchable for me. 

Bart’s the man to beat, although Alex is very good.

I love Santosh, seems like a genuinely nice guy.

Jono was an absolute c**t. His comments last week about fearing nobody as he’s “the complete chef”, made me want him to lose so badly.

On 28/11/2020 at 16:18, Mark Connolly said:

Marcus is a good guy. Had the pleasure of eating at all 3 of his restaurants in London, and they all absolutely deliver, while still being decently priced. The Sunday lunch at the Gilbert Scott is absolutely tremendous.

The best cookbook I own is a Marcus Wareing one. Could eat a different dish from it every day for a couple of weeks.

Thought Jono was becoming more and more like an Apprentice candidate with his “Complete Chef” and “Classically Trained” comments, so not sorry to see him go.

Not understanding the downplaying of Philli’s chances, however. She’s maybe not done anything spectacular as yet, but hasn’t really put a foot wrong either. I’d be rooting for her to win if it wasn’t for that annoying laugh she does after everything she says.

The best cookbook I own is a Marcus Wareing one. Could eat a different dish from it every day for a couple of weeks.
Which one m8? I have Nutmeg and Custard, was given to me but it doesnt inspire me. If its that, what's good? If it's not, what is it?

16 minutes ago, The Naitch said:

Think they all struggled with the chef's table tonight. Don't see that often.

Did Santosh?  I think he nailed his, didn’t he?

Anyway, three best chefs went through.  You can tell Marcus really rates Bart, but you could make a case for Santosh being the most impressive.  Bet you young Alex gets a job at Marcus.