The Master

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, G_Man1985 said:

Meekings had a shocker :-(.

Mccann had a shocker.

An embarrassing result .

Yesterday highlighted the fact that we all know that we are desperate for 2 strikers and how much of an impact Hendry has on the side. 

The only slight positive is this time last season we were out the cup. I still expect us to go through. 

2 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:
3 minutes ago, Yenitit said:
Yesterday highlighted the fact that we all know that we are desperate for 2 strikers and how much of an impact Hendry has on the side. 

The only slight positive is this time last season we were out the cup. I still expect us to go through. 

Yup can't disagree. Let's hope the board knows this also and mccann brings in the right people and also let's go the right people

The worrying thing is it won’t be easy to find them, every team’s looking for a good striker or 2!

15 hours ago, thommohawk said:

No, he's a liability but he must have been much happier playing in the second half away from the vocal scrutiny of the home fans. 

15 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

He doesn't deserve to start. He doesn't deserve the level of vitriol he's currently receiving either though.

Meekings was at fault for both goals today whilst O'Dea saved us at the end with an excellent tackle. Yet I didn't hear one bit of criticism aimed at Meekings.

It's almost as if Dundee fans like to have a chosen boo boy target and now that Holt is out the team, O'Dea is the target.

Looks like we are in agreement then.  O’Dea is no longer good enough to start matches and should only be used to cover injuries.  Fans should also bite their tongue a bit more.

Now, let’s talk about Moussa :lol:

Decent game. A lot of people were identifying this as a potential upset, but I felt beforehand that there was a good chance we'd be easily beaten: it's a pretty weak Championship this year, yet some our players' limitations are still very evident despite the team's overall improvement. Thought we matched Dundee pretty well though, in the first half hour in particular, when Trafford pressed the ball well. After that, Dundee pretty much controlled the midfield - with Polworth missing, we didn't really have the pace in there to match them -  but they didn't trouble us all that often, thanks largely to excellent performances from Coll Donaldson and Gary Warren at the back. 

Aaron Doran was our most dangerous player by some distance, and keeping him fit is probably going to be key to our chances of making a playoff spot. Assuming we're still in the Championship next year - which we almost certainly will be - then the next challenge will be keeping him at the club. Connor Bell, too, looks increasingly like someone capable of playing at a higher level. On the other hand, the limitations I mentioned earlier are clear in Oakley, who despite a decent run of goals recently, can look sluggish and doesn't have a great touch, in Mckay, who put in a decent shift down the right hand side yesterday but often looks suspect defensively, and in Chalmers, who is neat and tidy with a nice left foot, but lacks pace and is soft in the tackle. All three have come on a lot since the start of the season but I don't think they are Premiership-class players. Vigurs is, and yet his mistake for the goal yesterday was absolutely peak Vigurs: it seems to be  hardwired in him to make lackadaisical passes, apparently without even looking up; when they come off, they look totally classy, but he'll give the ball away unnecessarily at least three times in any match, and when that puts a player through, then he doesn't have the engine to get back and rectify the mistake. He cost us a few points like that last season, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference in him, and to be fair to him, he has probably been the player who has made us tick more than any other in the games where we've played well this season.

Hard to call the replay, but I'd still make Dundee favourites, if only because Meekings is unlikely to have a game like that again. I actually thought he'd put our equaliser in himself, so it wasn't quite as terrible as I thought, but he still looked badly at fault for both goals. He's proved with us over several years that he's absolutely a top-6 defender though, and yesterday was an aberration, and very welcome from our point of view.                     

5 minutes ago, RossP said:

Good chance of the game being televised now, after Hearts v Hibs didn't end in a draw  :)

Even allowing for Tuesday’s games, if a replay is televised then it should be this one.

It just depends on whether or not Sky will be happy with just showing Fraserburgh v Sevco on Wednesday, or if they want a midweek double-header (up against English PL games on BT on both days).

Archived